Archiver > CAMONTER > 2004-06 > 1086374812

From: "Dee S." <>
Subject: Salinas, Monterey Co., CA -- 12 July 1888
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:46:52 -0700

Salinas Weekly Index
12 July 1888

Hesperia -- Born last week to Mr.&Mrs. Chas. MANN, a bouncing boy. Mother
and child are doing well.

Born -- LEIGHTON -- in Syracuse, N.Y., July 4, to the wife of H.J. LEIGHTON
(nee KILBURN), a daughter.

Died -- McCORMICK -- near Paraiso Springs, July 5, James McCORMICK, son of
Mrs. A.B. SMITH, a native of San Francisco and 22 [or 23] years of age.

Mrs. Johanna CLARK, mother of Mrs. Jos. GILKEY, died at Mr. GILKEY's on
Saturday, June 30, 1888, aged 73 years. The remains were embalmed by Chas.
FRANCEE, undertaker, Salinas, and will be sent to her home at Hope, Midland
Co., Michigan.

San Lucas -- A child of Andy CONLEY, Jr., of Wild Horse canyon, died of
quinsy last week.

**Marriage Licenses --
-July 5th; John H. CHURCH, aged 49, and Nettie J. REED, both of Oakland
-July 7th; August BERG, aged 34 and Orelia POMBER, both of Monterey.

**San Lucas & Vicinity --
-Frank ADAMS, whose serious and well-nigh fatal accident was recorded in
these columns last week, is in a fair way to fully recover from his injury.
The fracture of the scull is rapidly knitting and the other injuries
healing. He is up and able to walk about considerably, and suffers but
little except from the general weakness natural to his condition.
-Dr. TUTTLE of Salinas was here on professional business last Sunday, having
just come in from a 35-mile ride to visit Jas. TAYLOR, of Slack's Canyon,
brother to Geo. TAYLOR of this place. The young man is but 28 years of age
and is of a strong and healthy constitution. He was attacked some days since
with paralysis of the left leg, which, though not absolutely dangerous under
proper treatment, is a very unpleasant and troublesome experience. Dr.
TUTTLE states that recovery is certain and that owing to the patient's youth
and strength, is likely to be rapid.

**Personal & Social --
-Mrs. E.K. CAMPBELL and son, of San Jose, are in Salinas, visiting their
cousin, Miss Emma CAMPBELL.
-J.H. BROWN and family are expected over from Fresno this week to occupy
their new home (the TRIMMER residence) in this city.
-Sam MATTHEWS and family have moved into town from Kings City and are
occupying their new home on Capitol street, formerly the DORN residence.
-Dr. O.S. TRIMMER and wife have sold their beautiful home on Central Avenue
to John H. BROWN, of Fresno, for $7,500, and are occupying their cottage at
Pacific Grove. They will be greatly missed in Salinas.
-Miss Polly STURZENEGGER, of Kings City, is visiting friends in Salinas this
week on her way to San Francisco. The young lady located a quarter section
of government land near Kings City, and, plucky girl that she is, has been
living alone on her claim "baching" it for some time past. Some one else has
set up a claim to the land, and Miss STURZENEGGER is now on her way to
contend for her rights before the officials of the Land Office.

**Hesperia Items --
-Miss Lulu RAY is visiting her sister Mrs. SANDS at Watsonville.
-Miss M.F. CHISHOLM, the Hesperia teacher, has gone to San Francisco to
visit her mother and attend the Teacher's Convention, after which she will
return to her homestead.
-Elder D.G. WRIGHT of Bradley has been quite sick for some time, and was
unable to fill his appointment in the Sapaque valley last Sabbath.

**A Terrible Tragedy -- One Man Killed and Two Dangerously Wounded near
Mulberry, San Benito County -- [Hollister Free Lance, July 6th] --
"Nick WATERS has been shot and killed by W.H. STONE." This was the report
that went flying from mouth to mouth about the streets yesterday.
Investigation proved the rumor to be only too true. Not only was Mr. WATERS
killed by Mr. STONE, but the latter and his son, Ed, are now lying at the
point of death from wounds inflicted by bullets from a revolver, fired at
short range by WATERS.

There has been trouble for some time between STONE and WATERS over land. The
piece in dispute was land that has been farmed by Mr. STONE for nearly 20
years. Last year, one WEBSTER filed on the land, which is part of Sec. 3,
Township 16, and about 1 month ago, proved up and paid for the land. After
the land was secured by WEBSTER, (who it is presumed was working in the
interest of WATERS), it was turned over to WHITE, WATERS' father-in-law, and
thus came under the control of WATERS. Only about 16 acres of this quarter
section has been farmed by STONE, the remainder being steep hills. Last
winter, Mr. STONE, in spite of the commands of WEBSTER, planted a crop of
wheat on the small tract spoken of, and had a fair crop of wheat thereon,
and it was this little patch of wheat, which will probably not yield over
100 sacks, that has led to the death of C.H. WATERS, and the fatal wounding
of the STONES, father and son.

The land had been given up by STONE, but he still claimed the crop, which
claim was disputed by WEBSTER and WATERS, who claimed that as STONE never
had owned the land he had no right to take off the crop. Yesterday morning
STONE informed his header crew that as soon as the field adjoining the
disputed tract was finished, they could drive over and he would have the
wire cut so they could drive in and commence work.

WATERS, who had posted himself at the dwelling of Wm. MANN high up among the
hills on the further side of the valley, from which he could see everything
that was going on in the neighborhood of the disputed tract, saw the header
crew moving in that direction, and mounting his saddle-horse, started for
the disputed tract, remarking to Mr. MANN "that he would stop that
business." Reaching the county road he dashed at headlong speed past STONE'
s house, and turning into the fields at Frank DAVIGGIO's hotel, passed Frank
LORENZO's land to the WEBSTER tract, which contained the fatal wheat field.

Here he dismounted, tied his horse to the fence and walked rapidly through
the wheat to the spot where STONE had just cut an opening through the wire
fence to admit the heading outfit. When WATERS appeared on the scene, the
old man STONE and his son, Ed., were at the gap that had just been made in
the fence. WATERS advanced to within 20 feet of Mr. STONE and commanded him
to leave the field. Hot words ensued, when WATERS started for STONE,
threatening him. At this juncture Ed STONE threw himself between the angry
men, and clinched WATERS, who, pulling his pistol, fired the first shot, the
ball striking young STONE in the inner corner of the left eye, ranging
downward and to the right, through the bridge of the nose and lodging under
the skin, at the angle of the lower jaw on the right side of the face. STONE
returned WATERS' fire and shot followed shot in rapid succession.

Ed. STONE, wounded in 3 places, his clothes on fire from the powder from
WATERS' pistol, broke away from the awful scene and started for the header,
now some 200 yards away. This left the 2 deadly enemies alone, and their
revolvers were quickly emptied. WATERS was seen to fall, pluckily firing
even as he fell.

STONE staggered away from the battlefield and sank upon his knees, holding
the deadly pistol in both hands. The whole awful tragedy occupying less than
a minute, the men at work within a few hundred yards were powerless to
prevent the dread catastrophe. To a Free Lance reporter, the first to reach
the ground from Hollister, the scene was one never to be forgotten. Under a
wagon sheet, roughly spread on poles, covered with a blanket, lay the
remains of Nick WATERS, prone upon his face, his right hand clutching the
empty revolver which had fired its last shot, his left arm pierced with 2
bullet holes and a gaping wound over the heart from which the life blood was
ebbing, drop by drop. A guard had been stationed over the body, and there it
had lain just as it fell from 8 o'clock in the morning until 3p.m. Upon the
arrival of the Coroner, a jury was sworn in from the bystanders, as follows:
J.F. SCOTT, foreman, L. CHASE, G.F. ROOT, J.B. ROOT, S.M. PREWETT, Wm.
NOBLE, Geo. AUSTIN, James TRAMOR, Geo. PHILLIPS. After the body had been
examined by them, they adjourned to Elvina Hotel, where the inquest was
held, J.M. BLACK, deputy coroner, presiding, and B.B. McCROSKY conducted the
examination of witnesses. After due deliberation the jury brought in the
following verdict:

"We, the coroner's jury, impannelled to ascertain the cause of the death of
C.H. WATERS, find that the true name of deceased is Cornelius H. WATERS,
that he is 43 years of age and a native of Northumberland Co., Canada. That
deceased met his death from a gun shot wound inflicted by W.H. STONE." The
body was then brought to Hollister for burial.

A visit to the home of the STONEs found the old man, who caused the death of
WATERS, now over 70 years of age, lying in bed, propped up with willows. An
ugly wound, extended from the left nipple to the right one. Some fears are
entertained as to his recovery. The young man, Ed. STONE, appears to be
getting along as well as can be expected and will probably recover.

The whole San Benito valley is terribly excited over this awful affair,
which spreads a deep gloom over the entire community. District Attorney
McCROSKEY and Sheriff KEARNEY were promptly on the ground and will
investigate the affair thoroughly.

Transcribed by Dee Sardoch

This thread: