CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2005-03 > 1110385833

From: "Lilly" <>
Subject: Re: [CAMPBELL] Lawrence Campbell , report # 12
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:30:33 +0300

Lawrence Campbell
b. 1736 Scotland
d. 1813 Nelson Co VA

Will in Book 5, page 535, dated 1-8-1813 Nelson Co, proved 12-18-1815.
Executors: Francis Lee Campbell, Jeremiah Franklin
Buried on Locust Mountain, Amherst Co VA.

Lawrence lived earlier in Orange Co VA, and Spottsylvania Co VA before
moving into Amherst Co VA. The area he lived in later became Nelson Co VA.
(I say this based on information that Henry Campbell lived across the road
from Lawrence, if this is ture, then it would be what we now call Nelson
Co.)

Spouse: Henrietta Catlett, her surname is confirmed as Catlett by statements
her daughter in law, Mrs. Francis Lee Campbell, of Lousia Co VA made.
The Catlett family is a very prominate name in early Colonial Virginia
Military history. The Catlett family came from England, and was very much
intermarried with the Taliaferro family in England.
Henrietta Campbell outlived her husband, and in the 1820 census she is shown
as head of Household. That census shows her in Amherst Co, VA. If Lawrence
Campbell's land was in Nelson Co VA, then why did she end up a widow in
Amherst Co.? Did she sell off her estate and move over the River? Just
wondering.....

Much of the information we know about Lawrence Campbell comes from his
descendant the Reverand Francis Campbell Symonds, D. D. , Pastor of ther
First Presbyterian Church at Lynchburg, VA.

Lawrence Campbell sold land to Henry Campbell, they were neighbors, and
possibly related, though the connection is not clear.
Lawrence Campbell was the executor of the Will of Henry Campbell, who
married Charity. Lawrence Campbell was about 30 yrs younger than Henry
Campbell. Both Henry and Lawrence were born in Scotland.

#1. James Campbell b. about 1761 Spotsylvania Co VA
He moved to NC, and died prior to 1813.

#2. Lawrence Campbell, Jr. b. 1763, enlisted in Amherst Co VA, served as
private in Capt. George Penn's Co., moved to Green Co KY, applied for War
pension on 9-17-1832. He died in 1844 in Hart Co., KY (according to Betty
Gollwitzer)

#3. Catlett Campbell b. about 1764, went to Orange Co NC, was a Member of
the House of Commons for Hillsboro, NC for the years of 1804-5, and 1808-9.
He died before 1814 in NC.

#4. Capt. Francis Lee Campbell b. 1760, married Ann/Nancy Barnett on
1-1-1789, d/o Capt. James Barnett. He died 10-15-1840 in Louisa Co VA.
(Please do not confuse this man with another Francis Campbell of the same
area, married to Isabell.)

#5. Nancy Campbell, married James Maloney.

#6. Mary Ann Campbell, married Joseph Buke on 10-28-1789 Amherst Co VA.
She married secondly to James Handley.

#7. Pamela Campbell, married Richard Waugh on 9-1-1789 Amherst Co VA.

#8. Sarah Campbell, married James L. Turner, s/o Samuel, on 3-12-1811.

#9. Judith Campbell, married Hiram McGinnis on 2-24-1795

Best regards,
Lilly Martin