CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2005-04 > 1114556843

From: <>
Subject: CorneliusCampbell and Sarah W.Campbell, reply to Sylvia
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:07:23 -0400

Dear Campbell Cousins,

This is a comment re the post on April 24,2005 by Lilly to Sylvia and others. As I posted earlier, James W. Campbell is listed on several of the tax lists as a resident of Augusta County and paying taxes on land in Nelson County. While I have not been able to determine who his father was or who his first wife was, I have proved he had a son Alfred H. Campbell, who bought land in the early 1850s and settled there after his marriage to Delilah Massie, daughter of Thomas Massie and wife Nancy Maddox.

I have also proved James W. Campbell married Jane Massie in Nelson County in 14 June 1830. Jane must have died after 1840 because James W. and a number of children moved with Alfred to Augusta County and appear first on the 1850 Census of Augusta County. Living in the same household were:

James W. Campbell abt. 1780
Alfred H. Campbell abt. 1828
Benjamin F. Campbell January 1833
Lawson Campbell abt 1835
Charles P. Campbell abt 1840
Sarah A. Campbell abt 1831
Nancy Campbell abt 1838
Julia Campbell abt 1839

James W. is shown as the head of household (Family #1597), living next door to Alfred, Delilah, and their children on the 1860 Augusta County Census. His age listed as 75 and if correct that would make his birthyear 1785.

The Benjamin F. Campbell (or Benjamin Franklin) mentioned in #3 of Lilly's post of April 24th is the son of James W. Campbell and Jane Massie. He moved back to Amherst County and was married 4 times. His first wife was Sarah A. Mays (married 12 Nov. 1857 in Amherst County; second wife, Mary Jane Hudson, m. 13 Sept 1865 in Amherst Co.; third wife, Sally Ann Hudson, m. 27 Oct. 1875; and fourth, Lelia Ann Henson m. 27 Feb. 1890. Benjamin died 16 Dec. 1907 and is buried in the Amherst Cemetery. All of the marriage records can be found and several list James W. Campbell and Jane Massie as his parents.

Lawson Campbell stayed in Augusta County and married.

Now, as for Alfred. Alfred was traveling back and forth between Augusta, Amherst and Nelson counties. On the 1850 Amherst County Census records, an "Alforner" is shown in the household of William H. Campbell and wife Martha. I believe that man to be Alfred. He is listed as 21 years old and that is about right for Alfred. Besides that, William H. was neighbor(#664) to Eldridge Campbell(#666) who married Elizabeth Massie, the sister of Delilah Massie who married Alfred Campbell. Now, the question is was William H. or Eldridge brother of Alfred? Alfred H.Campbell is my ggg grandfather.

I hope I have clarified who "Alforner" is. I'm very interested in this discussion about William H. Campbell.
The comments about a James W. Campbell, Jr., the son of James and Mary Smith, intrigue me and I need to study this info before I can discuss him.

Shirley Craft

This thread: