CAN-BC-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-BC-OBITS > 2005-04 > 1113264526

From: Dennice Goudie <>
Subject: Vancouver Sun & The Province, April 10, 2005
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:08:46 -0700

Vancouver Sun & The Province Sunday, April 10, 2005 canada.com

Antunovic, Tony (Memoriam)
Photo
ANTUNOVIC _ Tony July 24, 1960- April 9, 1998 Wonderful memories woven in gold, this is the picture we tenderly hold. A special smile, a special face and in our hearts, a special place. Remembering you is easy, we do it every day; But missing you is a heartache, which never goes away. Lovingly remembered, Dad, Mom, Mike, Pauline, Tom and friends.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Battison, Ruth Bradford (Rowberry)
BATTISON _ Ruth Bradford (nee Rowberry) born June 04, 1922, Camp Lister, B.C., died March 17, 2005, Penticton, B.C. Ruth was predeceased by her husband Bill in 1997. She is survived by her children Mary Clark (Kamloops), Richard Battison, Janet Lazare and Frances Wagner (Lower Mainland), 10 grandchildren and two great-grandsons as well as one sister Betty in Quebec and a large extended family. Ruth was a long time resident of Burnaby where she and Bill raised their family. Both were very active at South Burnaby United Church. Ruth was a teacher, receiving her training at Vancouver Normal School. She started her teaching career in Yarrow, and retired in 1982 from Moscrop Jr. Secondary in Burnaby. Upon retirement, Ruth and Bill moved to Okanagan Falls, where they enjoyed a happy retirement. They traveled extensively and were very active in the Heritage Society and the O.K. Falls United Church. Ruth will be sorely missed by her family and many friends both in the Lower Mainland!
, the Okanagan and those further afield. A celebration of Ruth's life will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2005 at 1:30pm at Okanagan Falls United Church. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, O.K. Falls United Church or the charity of your choice would be appreciated. The family would like to extend a special thank-you to Sandy, Dave and Troy for their wonderful care of Mom and also to her dear friends for their faithful visitations. Everton-Rust (Penticton).
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Berry, Velma
BERRY _ Velma, beloved Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Great-Grandmother, passed away peacefully on April 7th, 2005 in her 92nd year, with her entire family by her side. She is lovingly survived by her husband of 67 years, Raymond, daughter Diane Knechtle (Ken), grandsons Rick, Ron (Kim), and Rob (Tamara), great-grandchildren Krista, Nicholas, Megan and Rylee. A celebration of her life will be held at Valley View Funeral Home, 14660 - 72 Ave, Surrey, on Saturday, April 16th at 2:00 pm. Many thanks to the wonderful staff at Surrey Memorial, Palliative Care. In lieu of flowers, donations in her name may be made to a charity of your choice.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Chan, Nancy Marie
CHAN _ Nancy Marie passed away peacefully on Easter Sunday, March 27, 2005 at the age of 50 after two strong years of fighting cancer. She was born in Sacramento, California. After excelling in academics in high school she continued her excellence in education at the University of California at Berkeley, where she graduated with a bachelor of science in accounting. As a friend to the community she was generous and kind, and her good nature touched everyone around her. As a mother and wife, Nancy was attentive and nurturing. Her values of respect, dignity, fairness and love resound in all of us. Nancy was the cherished wife of Caleb, and the loving mother of three children. Nancy remains in our hearts a pillar of strength and an example of goodness. Her boundless generosity and unconditional kindness has spread to affect so many people and she lives on in all of our actions, intentions, words and thoughts, and forever in our hearts. The family wants to extend a very special a!
nd heartfelt thanks to all of the doctors and nurses who fought With her over the past two years. Your efforts, kindness and genuine care gave all of us, especially Nancy, so much peace and comfort knowing that she was being well taken care of. A private funeral was held at Ocean View Burial Park. In lieu of flowers, donations to the BC Cancer Foundation in memory of Nancy Marie Chan would be greatly appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Cousins, Dr. James Alymer
COUSINS _ Dr. James Alymer. Born on October 18, 1930 in Penticton Hospital, passed away on March 28, 2005 at Saanich Peninsula Hospital, Saanichton BC. His early schooling was in Beaverdell, BC with Jr. and Sr. High School in Kelowna, BC. Jim attended UBC obtaining his BA in 1953 and his medical degree in 1957. He interned at VGH in Vancouver, BC and trained in orthopedics at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Jim practiced at Lions Gate Hospital, North Vancouver from 1963-1977 followed by practices in the USA until he retired in 1995, then moved to Gabriola Island, BC. Jim was predeceased by his parents, Francis and Isabel (Dolly) Cousins. He leaves to mourn his passing, three daughters, Emily (Bill) Cheung, Danica (Greg) McAden and Maren (Blair) Becker; son, David; sister, Frances (Peggy) Cousins; five grandchildren, Benjamin, Nicholas, Alyssa and Mattias Cheung and Zoe Becker. No service by request. Cremation. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Jim's memo!
ry to the Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation (Palliative Care), 2166 Mt. Newton Cross Road, Saanichton, BC, V8M 2B2.
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Dal Monte, Cesare
Photo
DAL MONTE _ Cesare born April 28, 1934. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of a devoted husband, father and Nonno on April 5, 2005. Born in Mussolente, Vicenza, Italy, a proud Italian-Canadian. He is survived by his loving wife Adriana of 46 years, daughter Lara, son David (Pina), treasured grandchildren Amanda and Christopher, his brothers, sisters and many nieces, nephews and friends in Canada and Italy. Prayers will be offered Monday, April 11, 2005 at 7:30pm from Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, 525 S. Slocan Street, Vancouver, where the Mass of Christian Burial will be held Tuesday, April 12, at 10:00am, Fathers of St. Charles celebrant. Entombment to follow at the Creekside Mausoleum, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Burnaby. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Burnaby Hospital Foundation, or the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Forever in our hearts, Nonno, rest in peace. Sing like no one is listening" BELL FUNERAL CHAPEL (604) 253-4554
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Daniels, Judith Henriette Garner "Judy"
Photo
DANIELS _ Judith (Judy) Henriette Garner August 6, 1939 - April 1, 2005 Left us suddenly, April 1, 2005, with her loving husband, Wayne, by her side. Survived by devoted daughters Carolyn and Christine; stepchildren Randy, Richard and Wendy; grandchildren Thea, Caitlyn, Morgan, Shane, Ryan, Darcy and Sara; many loving cousins in Ontario and California; and friends all over North America. Judy's love, strength and humour will forever be an inspiration to all of those she left behind. Our heavy hearts are lightened only by the realization that now we have watching over us an angel, who loved us all dearly. A memorial service will be held at 2 pm at River Springs Recreation Centre, 1950 Lodge Drive, in Coquitlam. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made toward a bench in her honour at La Farge Lake in Coquitlam, where she loved to walk her "girls", Fergie and Nellie.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Deglan, Karl Edwin
DEGLAN _ Karl Edwin July 25, 1953 - April 5, 2005 Karl passed away at home, suddenly and peacefully. Predeceased by his precious daughter Rachel Shelby (1994) and father Moody (1999), Karl is survived by the love of his life and best friend - wife Hilda, loving mother Vivian, sons Lorne (Kristl), Jared (Carrie), Jeb (Julie), Hoyt, Ben, grandchildren Dayton, Drew, brothers and sisters Susan, Gary (Karin), Sandy (Charlie), Dan (Shirley), Roger, in-laws Jake and Florence Eisma, family and friends. An outdoor service will be held at the family home Monday, April 11th at 2:00pm to celebrate Karl's life.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Dorash, Thomas (Memoriam)
Photo
In Loving Memory of Thomas DORASH who passed away peacefully and unexpectedly on April 10, 1995 at the age of 59 years. It is difficult to believe that ten years have gone by since the day I kissed him goodbye at my door and we said our goodnights and I love you's, not knowing what the following day would bring. While it is true that grief is softened by time and wonderful memories are a comfort and cause for a smile or laugh, I miss him. Still. Forever. He was a very special man and I loved him very much. He was my dad. The world, his family and friends lost a loving, generous, kind-hearted, hard-working, humorous man that day but he lives on in all of us whose lives he touched and in his beautiful grandson, who I know he had a hand in sending to us.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Edwards, Merrellyn (Memoriam)
In MEMORY of MERRELLYN EDWARDS 1932-1990 Remembrance to the life, the love, the devotion and caring of a truly great hearted beautiful lady who touched our lives in so many ways and remains with each of us individually in a tender corner of our hearts and minds. Dear wife to Reginald Philp; Joseph Siniak (died 1968); Fred Edwards; Dear mother to Allan; Jack; Julie; Paul; Dear grandmother to Kymberly; Andy; Erin; Josh; Joseph; Randy; Mitchell; Micheal; Dear sister to Joyce; Dawn; Dear mother-in-law to Heather; Hilly; Randy. None of us truly ever had enough time to express our love for you as much as we wish we had. We cherished you & you cherished us and without a doubt you were the hub of the family & your passing so suddenly to a better place April 10, 1990 occurred so quickly a proper good-bye was not possible. Tis sad and yet in a way so fitting because you still travel with us all in our hearts and thoughts. Thank-you for the wonderful moments, memories, laughter, joy an!
d tears and know that we shall all be with you in a better place one day. No doubt where ever that may be there will be pets of the four legged, barking variety & pink things as you loved them so much. Rest easy dear lady and know that you shall never be forgotten for ever and a day. _ Always remembered and loved, your family.
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Evans, Rees William
EVANS _ Rees William passed away on Sunday, April 3rd, 2005 at Royal Columbian Hospital. Rees was born August 3, 1921 in Cumberland, B.C. He will be lovingly remembered by: his wife of 57 years Margaret (Peggy) (Sutherland); his sister Jeanne Krechuniak; his brother-in-law Walt (Marion) Sutherland; son Larry (Ilona) Evans; daughters: Lynne (John) Dick and Wendy (Frank) Gigliotti; his grandchildren (who adored their Papa): Tamaryn and Dylan Evans, Kelsea and Jordan Gigliotti, John (Blanca) and Ryan (Cynthia) Dick; four beautiful great-granddaughters: Marissa, Anezka, Marlee and Madison Dick; many nieces, nephews and cousins. Rees was an employee of Canfor Eburne division for many years. Rees pursued many interests including painting, travelling, golf, tinkering with his computer. He could fix anything. We would like to thank our family and friends for their support during Dad's long hospital stay. There will be no service at his request. In lieu of flowers, donations may be m!
ade in his memory to the Heart & Stroke Foundation or the Canadian Diabetes Association.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Gauthier, Joseph Edouard "Joe"
Photo
GAUTHIER _ Joseph Edouard (Just "Joe"), born April 21, 1936 in Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan. Beloved husband, father and Opa. Joe passed away peacefully on April 6, 2005. Successful businessman, accomplished boat-builder, and an all-round good guy, Joe's humour and generosity will be greatly missed by all. Joe is survived by his wife of 36 years, Cathy, daughter Lisa (Rob), son Greg (Jenn) and their sons Joshua and Justin, sisters Annette (Aime), Marguerite (Gerry) and Laurianne (Ken), brother John, many nieces, nephews, and their families, and friends. Thank you to all who supported Joe and his family during this time; be assured that Joe lived life on his own terms, and he died that way as well, with dignity and humour intact. A celebration of Joe's life will be held on Tuesday, April 12th at 11:00 a.m. at Victory Memorial Park Funeral Centre, 14831 - 28th Avenue, Surrey, B.C. Donations in lieu of flowers are gratefully accepted, to the B.C. Lung Association or the Boys' and !
Girls' Club of Delta. "Je Ne Regrette Riens" "No Regrets" Victory Memorial Park Funeral Centre 604-536-6522
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Gonzalez, Francisco "Frank"
Photo
GONZALEZ _ Francisco (Frank) born September 14, 1932 in Chile, passed away peacefully on April 07, 2005, at the Richmond Hospital, with his family by his side. Left behind to mourn are his loving wife of 48 years, Eliana; children, Patty (Mike) Friesen, Frank (Julie) Gonzalez, and Rod Gonzalez; grandchildren, Emily and Sara Friesen, Alicia, Daniel and Carmen Gonzalez; sisters, Sylvia, Ines, Maria and Lucy. Frank was gifted with the ability to enrich people's lives with his sense of humour and his caring attitude. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him. Funeral Services will take place at St. Paul Parish, 8251 St. Alban's Road, Richmond, B.C. on Tuesday, April 12th at 10:00 a.m. A reception will follow the service.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Graham, N. David
GRAHAM _ N. David (December 9, 1938 - April 6, 2005) passed away peacefully at home after a long and valiant battle with cancer. David is much loved and will be sadly missed by his loving wife Gail, his beloved children and grandchildren, son, Andrew, (Lisa), Brendan, Julianna, daughter, Allison, (Richard), and Reid, his devoted sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Diana and Stephen, his special friend, Shonalee, his faithful companions Molly (dog) and Pumpkin (cat), and his treasured family and friends. Special thanks to Drs. Silverthorne, Chi, and Montemurro, Maureen Holley, Demeeh, Mary, Violet, Jennifer, Lina, Minda and family. A memorial service and reception will be held on Monday, April 11, 2005 at 1 p.m. at Coquitlam Alliance Church, 2601 Spuraway Ave. (Como Lake/Mariner) Coquitlam, B.C. (604-464-6744). Donations to the Ronald McDonald House, c/o Barb at 4116 Angus Drive, Vancouver, B.C. V6J 4H9 (604-736-2957), would be appreciated to build a memorial garden for David.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/8/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Helme, Richard "Dick"
Photo
HELME _ Richard (Dick) July 1, 1927- April 5, 2005. One of North Vancouver's finest and a long-time resident, suddenly passed away on Tuesday. Richard Helme was raised in Vancouver, but, in his youth would "ferry" over to the North Shore to hike, ski and explore. Later, he would make his home there and start a family. During his life he worked for Shell Oil. Transfers took him to Penticton, Trail and before too long, back to North Vancouver. Richard retired in 1982. He enjoyed many activities and sports throughout his life, but will be remembered mostly for being a carver, painter, avid golfer and traveller. Richard was predeceased by his brother Robert and his first wife, Hellen. He leaves behind his wife Eunice Findlay (children Robb Findlay (Heather) and Craig Findlay), daughter Barbara Zinio (Patrick), grandson Steven Zinio (Tess), grand-daughter Laura Terness (Kevin) and four great-grandsons. A celebration of Life will be held at the Boal Chapel, 1505 Lillooet Rd., Nort!
h Vancouver on April 11 at 10:00 AM. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Lions Gate Hospital Foundation.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Hinz, Walter Henry
HINZ _ Walter Henry, born in Laird, Sask. October 25, 1909. Passed away peacefully April 5, 2005 at the Menno Hospital in Abbotsford, BC. He is survived by his loving wife of 67 years, Mary; children Carol (Larry), Virginia; grandchildren, Carrie (Brett), Trevor (Deanna), Roger (Kendra), and Troy (Crystal) and 9 great-grandchildren. Predeceased by his son Wayne, and great-grandchild Bradly Andres. Walter was the school principal for 27 years at David Brankin Elementary in Surrey, BC. He enjoyed his years of teaching and also the winter vacations in Mesa, Arizona. The family would like to thank the Menno Home and Hospital for all their attentions and care of our husband and father for the past 4 years. We invite the family and friends to gather and celebrate Walter's life at Central Heights MB Church on McCallum Road, Abbotsford on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 at 11:00am. Henderson's Funeral Home 604-854-5534
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Holkestad, Melvin Martin (Memoriam)
Photo
HOLKESTAD _ Melvin Martin April 10, 2002 Dear Dad and Grandpaw Your heart was the dearest in all the wide world. Your love the best to recall. For no one on earth could take your place. You are still the dearest of all. _ Love, Ross, Leslie and families
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Holland, Mabel Lillian
HOLLAND _ Mabel Lillian. In her 85th year passed away April 5, 2005. Predeceased by her husband Howard. Mabel will be lovingly remembered by her family, daughter Diane; grandchildren Ryan and Carly; sister-in-law Joan Morris (Jim); nieces, nephews and friends. Mabel was born and raised at Britannia Beach where she met and married Howard. They remained at Britannia Beach for many years before moving to Burnaby. Thank you to the staff at Burnaby Hospital. No service by request. In lieu of flowers a donation to the Burnaby Hospital Foundation or a charity of your choice would be appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Hoogstra, Gerben "Happy"
Photo
HOOGSTRA _ Gerben "Happy" - Peacefully on April 5, 2005 at Langley Memorial Hospital, at age 86, after a long battle with cancer. He is survived by his loving family: Vera (Fifi), his wife of 59 years; his son Julian (Irene) Hoogstra and daughter Claire (Peder) Storness; his grandchildren Kris (Stephanie) Storness and Jodie (Dan) Vanthournout; his great-grandchildren Braeden and Conlan; his nieces and nephew in Holland, Lettie (Ronald) Cornellisen, Nienke Hoogstra and Sieb (Florence) Hoogstra; and also his many friends. Happy was born in Amsterdam, Holland in 1918 and he served as an officer in the Netherlands Merchant Navy before and during WWII. He came to BC with his family in 1954, eventually moving to Langley. He will be sadly missed by his friends in the Merseyside Association. He loved to make people laugh and his performances on stage brought joy to many people. He loved opera, classical music and history. He was kind to everybody and he loved animals. A celebration !
of Happy's life will be held on Thursday, April 14th, 2005 at 2 PM at Langley United Church, 5673 - 200th Street, Langley, B.C. In lieu of flowers, a donation to the BC Cancer Agency (www.bccancer.bc.ca) or to any animal welfare charity would be appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Keddie, John Alexander "Jack"
KEDDIE _ John (Jack) Alexander. Vancouver June 4, 1930 - March 30, 2005. It is with great sadness we announce the passing of our Father/Grandfather, John Alexander Keddie. On March 30th, 2005, "Poppa Jack" decided it was time to join some of his other loved ones, especially his loving wife of 48 years, Noreen (No) 2003, father George 1985, mother Olive 1987, brother George Arthur 2002. Surrounded by his family, Dad passed as peacefully as one could expect. Dad/"Poppa Jack" will be sorely missed and lovingly remembered by his daughters, Laurie and Marlene; son, Robert; daughter-in-Law, Valerie; his beloved grandsons, Devin and Axel; and many relatives and friends. In accordance to his wishes there will be NO SERVICE. A donation in Jack's name to the BC Lung Assoc. or charity of your choice would be greatly appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Keeley, Scott Daniel (Memoriam)
KEELEY _ Scott Daniel 9 April 2003 Scott's ashes have been layed to rest. Some are in the Hawaiian waters and the remainder have been interned at the Cloverdale Cemetery. Scott, we miss your sweet smile, your laughter, and your teasing. We Love You Forever! Can't wait until we meet again _ Love Mom, Dad, Allison
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Kiraly, Louis L.
KIRALY _ Louis L. passed away on April 2, 2005 at the age of 79 years. Lovingly remembered by his son Edward and his daughter-in-law Ildiko-Andrea and his grandson Christopher (all living in Austria); his sisters, Anne of Burnaby and Mariska of Slovenia; brothers Pisti (Etel) of France and Frank of Burnaby; nephews, Joey (Gina) and Frank Jr., and his cousin Joe. Fondly remembered by his many extended family and friends including great-nephews and nieces. He was predeceased by his mother Maria, father Victor and brother-in-law Johnny. Funeral Mass will be celebrated Monday, April 11th at 11:00 am from Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, 525 S. Slocan Street, Vancouver. Frs. of St. Charles Celebrants. A reception will be held following mass at 12 noon at the Executive Hotel, 4201 Lougheed Hwy., Burnaby, BC. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a charity of your choice. Bell Funeral Chapel 604-253-4554
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Knight, Phyllis
KNIGHT _ Phyllis passed away peacefully on April 7, 2005 in UBC Hospital. She is survived by her son Peter, his wife Carol, grandsons Michael and Christopher, her sister Edna in Liverpool and many other relatives in the U.K. The family wish to thank all her friends, especially at Purdy Pavillion/UBC Hospital, ASK Friendship Centre, for their care, support and kindness over the years. Her family and friends will miss her strong spirit and determination when times were bad. A Memorial Service will be held Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 10:30 a.m. in the Chapel, Purdy Pavillion (UBC), 2221 Westbrook Mall, Vancouver. In lieu of flowers, for those who wish, donations in memory of Phyllis may be made to your charity of choice.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Lusk, Marie
LUSK _ Marie April 6, 1935 - April 7, 2005 It is with immense sadness and sorrow that we announce the passing of Kathaleen Marie Lusk (nee English) on Thursday, April 07, 2005; just 8 hours into her 70th year. Marie's fearless fight with cancer was short, but she faced it straight on challenging it right from the beginning. To all that had the honour of having her touch your lives, you know what a true gift she was. Marie was known for the magic she could create using her hands as her tools and her artistic mind as her visionary aid. She would lovingly and thoughtfully construct anything imaginable. There was nothing she could not do; from sewing, making her own patterns, needlepoint. Knitting, bead work, doll making, flower arrangements, painting, to the crafting of jewelry, not to forget the many shirts she hand crafted lovingly for her husband Larry. Many of you are the recipients of her creations... how she loved to share them. Another huge part of Marie's life was the R!
oyal Canadian Legion, where with her husband Larry, she spent countless hours volunteering her time. Together they thoroughly enjoyed the many special events held there, and loved their time spent with friends reminiscing or chatting about the day's events. But most importantly Marie will always be remembered as a woman whose heart was full of love and laughter; always giving to others wanting nothing in return. She was full of encouragement and inspiration always ready to lend an ear or share her wisdom with her advice. She could always be counted on to throw a fantastic party or be the life of one, as long as she was surrounded by her many friends or relatives. Marie loved the men in her life with all her heart; her husband Larry, her two sons Shane and Tom (Debbie) and her grandsons Thomas and Dayton. She was extremely close to her granddaughter Ciara and helped name her at birth... how proud she was of them all!! Marie, Mom, Nana will be missed more than words could eve!
r convey; but she will live on in our hearts and minds forever. We wil
l always be able to wrap ourselves up in the many magical memories and numerous invaluable hand crafted treasures; made with only the finest ingredients that only Marie would know how to invent. Memorial Service will be held at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, April 15, 2005 at Whalley Legion Br. 229, 13525 - 106th Ave., Surrey. Victory Memorial Park Funeral Centre 604-536-6522
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Marriott, Gordon Leonard
MARRIOTT _ Gordon Leonard. Born January 31, 1913 in Vancouver, passed away April 6, 2005. Survived by his wife of 62 years, Katherine (Kit); son Robert and daughters, Karole Sutherland and Andrea Bailey; grandchildren, Jason, Ali, Chloe, Melissa, Sarah and Andrew and great-grandchildren, Jackson and Lukas Gordon. Gordon spent his early years working in the logging industry in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Following service in the Army, he commenced his career in log scaling with the BC Forest Service and retired as Assistant Superintendent of Scaling in 1978. He returned to log scaling for another 10 years. Gordon devoted many hours to community service in the West End. He was proud to have been appointed as Warden Emeritus of St. Paul's Anglican Church after many years of service to the church. Gordon and Kit enjoyed countless cruises throughout the world. He cherished his summers with his family and friends at "Green Gables" in Boundary Bay. A memorial service, with a recep!
tion to follow, will be held at St. Paul's Anglican Church, 1130 Jervis Street, April 12 at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the BC Cancer Foundation, 200-601 West Broadway, Vancouver V5Z 4C2 or a charity of your choice. Gordon's was a life well-lived; he will be sorely missed by his family and friends.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Moore, Arthur Donald "Don"
MOORE _ Arthur Donald (Don) passed away on 30 March 2005, at St. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, in his 81st year. He leaves behind son, David; daughter, Catherine; granddaughter, Lauren; and son-in-law, Stephen. He was predeceased by his loving wife, Eve. Don will be especially missed for his dry sense of humor, his keen intelligence, his passion for sailing, and his special gift for friendship. "Machine Gun Moore" will be remembered fondly by his many students and colleagues at the Department of Electrical Engineering, U.B.C., for his 45 years of dedicated teaching service. The family will be receiving friends at an informal celebration of his life on Sunday 17 April, 12:00-3:00 PM at the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, 3811 Point Grey Road. Expression of sympathy donations may be made to the Canadian Heart & Stroke Foundation or the Canadian Cancer Society.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Morris, Gary Steven
MORRIS _ Gary Steven passed away suddenly at Royal Columbian Hospital, New Westminster on March 20, 2005. Born October 29, 1949 in Winnipeg, Man. Predeceased by his parents, Raymond and Mary. He will be missed.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 4/8/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Nieken, Klaas Johan "Nick"
NIEKEN _ Klaas Johan "Nick", born April 16, 1919 in Groningen, Holland, passed away peacefully on April 04, 2005 at Surrey Memorial Hospital at the age of 75. Nick will be forever missed by his loving wife of 50 years Ann, daughter Carla (Martin) Hofmarks, son John (Myra). His grandchildren Justin, Jennifer and Emily will always remember their Papa fondly. We will always remember that mischievous twinkle in his eyes, his wide grin and his gentle kind soul. No service at his request. Cremation. For those wishing, donations may he made in Nick's memory to the Surrey Stroke Recovery Association, #37-8670 156th St., Surrey, BC, V3S 3S1.
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Pearson, Robert William (Memoriam)
PEARSON _ Robert William passed away April 10, 1987. Forever missed by his wife Frances and his sons, Bob, Roy, Steve and their families. We love you Dad
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Ritchey, Esther Irene (Reiswig)
RITCHEY _ Esther Irene (nee Reiswig), wife of the late Milton H. Ritchey. It is with sadness that the family announces the passing of Esther on April 7, 2005 at the Simon Fraser Lodge in Prince George, BC. Esther was much loved by many and will be greatly missed by her son Daryl, his wife Jane and their children James and Shaely; her step children Mervyn, Darlynne, Darwyn, Lowell and Lorelyn, as well as her three sisters, Lora, Rosie and Verna; 17 grandchildren; 22 great-grandchildren, numerous nieces and nephews and a great many friends. Family and friends will remember her for so many things, among them her very caring nature, constant smile and her love for life. Memorial service will be held at the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Rutland, BC; Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 1:30 pm. In lieu of flowers, donations to the charity of your choice would be appreciated. SPRINGFIELD FUNERAL HOME LTD. 250-860-7077
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Shacklock, Herbert Thomas
Photo
SHACKLOCK _ Herbert Thomas. Tom was born May 30, 1930 in Sunderland, England and passed away April 1, 2005 after a courageous struggle which had him visiting many of the best hospital wards in Vancouver. He leaves behind a devoted family of wife Pat, sons David of 100 Mile House and John (Nora) of West Vancouver, daughter Lisa Carlson (Murray) of Vancouver and grandchildren, Connor, Sydney, Scott, Emily and Hannah. He is also survived by his sister, Eleanor Blakeway-Philips and many other relatives residing in the UK. Tom was conscripted into the British Army in 1948 and served two years as a junior artillery officer in Hong Kong. He described himself as a much better citizen than a soldier. After completing his military service in 1950, Tom studied medicine at St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London. During his training, he was instructed in injection techniques by a Joan Patricia Carter (Pat), a midwife nurse. Anyone who has endured his injections will attest that he was obvi!
ously more interested in the instructor than the instruction. He married Pat in 1957 and shortly after immigrated to Canada, eventually settling in the Lower Mainland where he practiced medicine for over 40 years. Apart from tennis, skiing, bridge and history, Tom had no hobbies. His passion was medicine and he was grateful to have spent his career practicing in North Delta. He traveled extensively but could find no place better than his adoptive home. He lived his life according to his own personal code of honor. He spoke his mind and wasn't afraid of controversy. His stubbornness and impatience was legendary but he was also kind, generous and quick witted. His family wishes to thank the tireless efforts of the legions of health warriors who cared for Tom over the past year. He was impressed. Living with Tom could be challenging but never dull. We thank him for that. In accordance with his wishes, there will be a private family service.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/8/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Singh, Vicki
SINGH _ Vicki, born September 9, 1956, passed away April 4, 2005. She will be missed by her loving mother Ronnie (Veronica), her precious daughter Vania, family and many many friends. A memorial service will be held at Glenhaven, 1835 E. Hastings St., Vancouver at 11:00 am Tuesday, April 12th.
Published in The Province from 4/8/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Stone, Margaret (Glen)
STONE _ Margaret (nee Glen) born August 23, 1918 in Empress, Alberta passed away peacefully in her sleep on March 31, 2005. She will be sadly missed by her son Douglas Stone (Kim) and grandchildren Cal, Lyn and Lee. Her daughter Dianne Kucheran (Arnie) and grandchildren Amy, Julie and Jon will fondly remember her. Margaret is predeceased by Vincent and three sisters and one brother. A Memorial Service will take place on Thursday, April 14, 2005 at 2:00pm at Evergreen Chapel, 1550 Oxford, White Rock. Victory Memorial Park Funeral Centre 604-536-6522
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Suarez, Helen L. (Simpson)
Photo
SUAREZ _ Helen L. (nee Simpson). Passed away April 2, 2005 at Lions Gate Hospital. Born September 10, 1918 in Anyox, B.C. She will be greatly missed by her son Stephen, his wife Michelle and their children Rachel and Malcolm. A true British Columbian she served her country as many other women did in the air reserve and carried that onto a career with Air Canada in Montreal and New York where she married and had her son. In 1963 she moved her family back to Vancouver and started into a new career in finance with the National Trust Company. Throughout her life she was an avid skier, hiker, golfer and world traveler and without question her greatest joy came from her two grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at First Memorial and Boal Chapel, 1505 Lillooet Road, North Vancouver at 10am on April 15, 2005. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Lions Gate Hospital Foundation - 231 E 15th Street, N. Vancouver V7L 2L7.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Trerise, Robert L.
TRERISE _ Robert L. December 8, 1919 - April 6, 2005. He will be missed by wife Winnifred, sons Randy (Janet) and Steven (Lisa) and grandchildren Ben, Rob, Dylan, Aidan, Bridget and Rhiannon. Bob enjoyed a full and active life. He especially loved his family, music, and a multitude of sports. Bob was a founding member of the West Vancouver Senior Band and the Alley Cats. Special thanks to the staff at Lions Gate ICU for their help and support. In lieu of flowers, donate to the charity of your choice. A family memorial will be held at a later date.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Tucker, Frank Granville
TUCKER _ Frank Granville (1911-2005) passed away peacefully at Kiwanis Care Home on March 6, 2005. He was predeceased by his son Bobby, wife Doris, sister Phyllis and is survived by his daughter Patty, husband Ted Berry, granddaughters Lori (Warren), Linda, and great-granddaughters Taylor and Chelsea. Frank worked for the City of New Westminster Water Department for 35 years. At his request there was no service.
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Vos, June Maria
Photo
VOS _ June Maria of the Culic Family In loving memory of June, whose love and life will be truly missed. She fought bravely through her illness and her strength of spirit will always be admired. She will be remembered for her lifelong contributions to the women's movement, political realm and the community. She was a brilliant artist, visionary and mother, whose work will always be cherished. June will be dearly missed by her family, friends and all those she touched. A celebration of her life will be announced at a future date, so we may honor her life and spirit. Hollyburn Funeral Home 604-922-1221
Published in The Province on 4/10/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Wickstead, Jonathan David (Memoriam)
Photo
In Loving Memory of Jonathan David WICKSTEAD 21 September-1980 to 09-April-2004 It has been a year since you left us and every day you Have been in our hearts and in our thoughts. No words can describe how very much We miss you and always will. Rest peacefully son, we love you. Mom, Dad and Greg.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Wilcox, George Meldrum "Mel"
WILCOX _ George Meldrum (Mel). He was born October 17th, 1906 in Moose Jaw, Sask. He passed away in Vancouver, BC on March 13, 2005 in his ninety ninth year. Mr. Wilcox was a long time employee of Swift Canadian Co. Memorial service will be held Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 1:00 pm at the Oakridge United Church 305 W 41st Ave (at Elizabeth St.) Vancouver. Arrangements entrusted to First Memorial Burkeview Chapel. Phone 604-944-4128
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

Wone, Sue Kah
WONE _ Sue Kah, born in Mock Tue Tow, Kwang Tung, China on September 4, 1926, passed away peacefully at Vancouver General Hospital, April 6, 2005. Predeceased by her husband William. Sue was a generous and caring person. Her favourite pass-time was visiting with her grandchildren. She will be forever in the hearts of her children, Joyce (Alex), Dave (Darlene), Tom (Annie), Phil (Dori), Judy (Tony) and Bill Junior and her beloved grandchildren Ki, Derek, Adrienne, Kristin, Lysa, Joe, Dara, Alexis, Jasmine, Dianne, Patricia, Catherine and Marcus. Funeral services will be held at 2:00pm, Forest Lawn Chapel, 3789 Royal Oak Avenue, Burnaby, BC, Tuesday, April 12th, 2005. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the St. Paul's Renal Centre, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Young, Bob
Photo
YOUNG _ Bob 1918-2005 Bob passed away peacefully and comfortably at his home on April 6, 2005, after a lengthy illness. Bob was predeceased by Mary, his wife of 59 years. He is sadly missed by his children, Ann (Dave), John (Brandy), Jim (Judy) and Michael (Elizabeth), and his grandchildren, Marianne, Cheryl, Trevor, Christopher, Kevin, Brian, Jay, Brittany and Max. He also leaves his great-grandchildren, Alysha, Evan, Cara and Connor. Bob will always be remembered for his love, warmth, kindness, industry and integrity. He was a true gentleman who touched the hearts of all who knew him. Bob was born in Toronto on August 12, 1918. Both he and Mary graduated from Jervis Collegiate School, and then, The University of Toronto. Following his service as an officer in the war, Bob and Mary relocated their family to Vancouver, B.C. Bob was justifiably proud of his work and accomplishments in the rendering industry, working both with Gordon Young Limited and West Coast Reduction Ltd.!
Bob expresses his gratitude for all kindness and good wishes he received during his illness. Flowers and cards flowed in from friends from many quarters, including Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church, Shaughnessy Golf Club, Yuma Golf Club in Arizona, Lindell Beach, and The Community Centre. A funeral service will be held on Wednesday, April 13, 2005, at 10:30 a.m. at Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church. In lieu of flowers, donations are encouraged to Kerrisdale Presbyterian Church at 2733 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V6N 3C5 or alternatively to the British Columbia Cancer Society at 565 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4J4.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 4/9/2005 - 4/11/2005.
Guest Book

Zazzara, Rena
ZAZZARA _ Rena passed away peacefully on April 6, 2005 late of New Westminster, age 83. Predeceased by her husband Louis and her daughter Jeanette. Survived by her loving family: 3 sons, Ray, Wayne, Peter (Tracy) and by 1 daughter Christine; 6 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren and by 1 sister Albina and many nieces, nephews and friends. Prayers will be held Monday, April 11, 2005 at 7:30 p.m. at Holy Spirit Church, 244 Lawrence St., New Westminster. Where the Funeral Mass will be celebrated Tuesday, April 12 at 10:00 am. Fr. G. Varghese celebrant. In lieu of flowers, donations would be appreciated to the B.C. Heart and Stroke Foundation, 1212 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6H 3V2. Columbia-Bowell 604-521-4881
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 4/9/2005 - 4/10/2005.
Guest Book

This thread: