CAN-BC-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-BC-OBITS > 2006-02 > 1138905734

From: Dennice Goudie <>
Subject: Victoria Times-Colonist; February 1, 2006
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:42:14 -0800

Victoria Times-Colonist Wednesday, February 1, 2006 canada.com

22 total results

Beatty, Eileen
Photo
BEATTY, Eileen Elsie (nee Hunt) We are saddened to announce the death of
Eileen Beatty on January 29, 2006 in the warmth and care of Mt. Edwards
Court Care Home. Born Elsie Eileen Hunt on April 6, 1920 in Sydney, Nova
Scotia, Eileen considered herself always a "Cape Bretoner " despite living
30 years in Calgary and 20 years in Victoria. Eileen is survived by her
husband Beverley Byron Beatty, two daughters, Elaine Lewis (Judy) and Patty
Beatty-Guenter (Ken), all in Victoria; sisters Marjorie Vail (Ontario),
Audrey Sharpe (Donald; Sydney, NS), Ruth Altic (Norm; Burnaby, BC), brother
David, sisters -in-law Joan Hunt (St. John's, Nfld) and Rita Hunt (Ontario),
brother-inlaw David Paterson (Vancouver), many nieces and a few nephews. She
is predeceased by her parents J.A. (Gus) and Elsie Hunt, her son Breton in
1975, her brother Percy, and sisters Shirley and Mary. Eileen volunteered on
numerous political campaigns as a lifelong Liberal and enjoyed political
discussions at the Sunday dining table before dementia took away her ability
to debate. A memorial tea for Eileen will be held at 2078 Byron Street in
Oak Bay on February 2, 2006 from 2 to 6 PM. The family thanks the staff of
Mt Edwards for their loving care. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made
to the Salvation Army or the Parkinsons Society. 201223
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Bitten, Laura
Photo
BITTEN, Laura Clare (nee Blundell) Born in Bootle, Liverpool, England June
10, 1931 January 27, 2006 It is with the deepest of sadness in our hearts we
announce the passing of our Beautiful Mother. Predeceased by son Mark
Bitten, 1985. Laura leaves to mourn beloved husband Victor, of 54 years,
daughter Anne (Russ) Thomas, son Tony (Kelly) Bitten, grandchildren Clinton,
Heather & Michelle, great grandchildren Keathan & Kristina, six siblings &
many relatives in England, dear friends in Sidney and all those who knew
her. Sadly missed but lovingly remembered. No service by request. Please
join us for a celebration/tea of Laura's life. Saturday, February 4, 2006,
1:00 pm, 10774 Derrick Rd., Sidney, BC. 201655
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 2/1/2006 - 2/2/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Budai, Emery
BUDAI, Emery On Friday, January 27, 2006 Mr. Emery Budai, late of Port
Alberni, B.C., passed away peacefully after a brief illness, with his family
at his side, in the Victoria Hospice Palliative Care Unit, at the age of 73
years. Predeceased by his wife Maria Budai in 2004. Survived by his loving
family, sons, Jozsef (Tara) of Coquitlam, B.C., Steve of Fort St. John, B.C.
and Chaba (Lauren) of Victoria, his beloved grandchildren, Matthew, Kira,
Keenan and Madison, brother, Laszlo Budai (Elizabeth), sister in law Margit
Budai and brother in law Istvan Ubrankovics (Agi) all of Hungary, also
numerous cousins, nieces and nephews. Emery was born in Hasznos, Hungary and
fled to Canada after the Hungarian Revolution. He has lived in the Alberni
Valley since 1957 and had worked at the McLean Mill for 8 years, the
Plywoods for over 26 years and worked part time as a Waiter and Bartender at
the Beaufort Hotel. A Service of Remembrance in celebration of his life will
be held 11:00 A.M. Friday, February 3, 2006 from the Notre Dame Roman
Catholic Church, 4731 Burke Road, Port Alberni, with Fr. Marek Paczka
officiating. Cremation will take place. Flowers are gratefully declined, if
friends so desire, donations may be made to the Victoria Hospice Society,
3rd Floor, Richmond Pavilion, Royal Jubilee Hospital, 1952 Bay Street,
Victoria British Columbia, V8R 1J8, or the Canadian Cancer Society, #39 3550
Johnston Rd., Port Alberni, BC., V9Y 7W8 in Emery's memory. Chapel of
Memories entrusted with arrangements. Phone 250-723-3633. 201205
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/2/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Calnan, Helen
Photo
CALNAN, Helen Surrounded by family and embraced in love, Helen Calnan went
to be with her Lord and Saviour on January 29, 2006. Born in Cumberland in
1921, she came to Victoria to attend St. Joseph's School of Nursing
graduating in 1943. In 1944 she married Will, and together they built a life
of unending love that extended to all. Predeceased by her daughter Lynda,
Helen is survived by her sons Larry (Faye), Rob (Jan) and Chris (Rosemary),
grandchildren and great grandchildren. She also leaves her brother Jack
(Lois) and numerous family members. Life has been a great adventure for
Helen. Who else could find so much joy in walking at Esquimalt Lagoon,
camping at French Beach, or their wonderful trips in their motor home to
work in their beloved orphanage in Baja, Mexico. Helen lived by the adage,
"the more you are thankful for what you have, the more you have to be
thankful for ". A celebration of Helen's life will be held at Christ
Community Church, 3897 Holland Avenue, on Sunday, February 5th, 2006 at 2
p.m. In lieu of flowers, offerings can be made to: Erma Fennell Foundation
for the Relief of Poverty 2833 Lake End Rd., Victoria, BC V9B 2W2 Or Christ
Community Church Building Fund 3897 Holland Ave, V8Z 5K2. 201608
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Cormier, Pauline
CORMIER, Pauline (Sister Mary Charles of Jesus) Sister of Saint Ann, died
peacefully January 29, 2006, at the Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria, B.C.,
at the age of 78. Pauline will be sadly missed by her brother-in-law, Rene
Robillard and her niece Alaine of Massachusetts, her friends and her
Religious Community. Pauline was born April 15, 1927, in Holyoke, Mass., the
youngest of 2 children born to Charles and Florida Cormier. She entered the
Sisters of St. Ann Novitiate, Lachine, Quebec, making profession February
11, 1948. Pauline received her Masters of Education in Guidance and
Counseling at Seattle University. She taught in schools in Kamloops, New
Westminster, Dawson City, Prince George, Penticton, and Victoria. After
retiring from teaching, Pauline began a second career in counseling and
retreat ministry in Nelson and Victoria. She spent one year in Haiti in
1985. In 2001, she moved to St. Ann's Residence and lived a contemplative
life. A prayer service will be held at St. Ann's Residence, 2474 Arbutus
Road, Victoria, B.C., February 1 at 7:00 pm. Mass of the Resurrection will
be celebrated by Rev. Anthony Sebastian, OFM, at St. Ann's Residence,
February 2, 2006 at 10:00 am. Interment will take place at Hatley Memorial
Gardens, Colwood. 201377
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Dixon, Phyllis (Memoriam)
DIXON, Phyllis January 26, 1910 February 1, 2004. Two years ago you passed
away but the love we shared will remain with me forever. I miss you Darling.
Your husband, Cecil. 198563
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Erickson, Sandra
ERICKSON, Sandra Sandra passed away peacefully on Sunday January 22nd, 2006.
She is sadly missed by her mother Pearl and brother Don, and her loving
friends Ken Tisdale, Quen and Mary-Anne. No service by request. "Though my
life you no longer share, In my heart you're always there. " Mom 201232
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Ficke, Pennie Dorothy
Photo
FICKE, Pennie Dorothy (Gray) Pennie was born on July 25, 1958 in Victoria,
B.C. Remaining positive in spirit, Pennie passed away peacefully in Hospice
on January 29, 2006. She was predeceased by mother, Nellie. Survived by
daughters, Kristen and Dana, brothers, Bob (Janis), Jim (Shelley) and
sister, Sue (Rick) and father, Robert (Popi) Gray. Thanks to Hospice for
their generosity. There will be a celebration of her life at 1:30pm on
Saturday, February 4th at the Chiefs & PO's Mess, 1575 Lyall St. In lieu of
flowers, donation in Pennie's name may be made to the BC Cancer Clinic or
the Victoria Hospice Society. 201625
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 2/1/2006 - 2/2/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Foster, Frank (Memoriam)
FOSTER, Lt. Comdr. Frank H. (Bud) 1914 1996 In loving memory of my husband,
Father, Grandfather, Great grandfather and Great Great Grandfather. He left
us ten years ago today. We all miss you very much. Edith, Bud, Alan, Rick,
their wives and families. 201619
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Hansen, Peggy (Memoriam)
HANSEN, Peggy August 23rd, 1918 February 1st, 1991 In loving memory of our
Mom & Marmar, Peggy Hansen. Everyday in some small way, Memories of you come
our way, Though absent, you are always near, Still missed, loved, always
dear. Patricia, Tammy, Jeff & Kelleen 201760
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Jenner, Esther Frances
Photo
JENNER, Esther Frances (Essie) Mom passed away peacefully January 24th after
a short illness. Born in Chertsey, England April 19, 1907, she was
predeceased by her husband Alfred in 2004. Survived by her son Barry Jenner
(Janet), daughters Valerie Rodd and Sylvia Pemberton (Dave), eleven
grandchildren and numerous great grandchildren. We loved her very much. Mom
loved to write and recite poetry and stories. She loved her many pets, and
most of all her family. She came to Canada as a child in April 1912, and
remembered watching the "Titanic" sail from Southampton. Her ship sailed
four days later and was diverted south away from the icefield to Boston
instead of Halifax. A memorial service will be held February 2nd, 4:00 p.m.
at First Metropolitan United Church in the Chapel. In lieu of flowers,
please make remembrances to South Asian Relief c/o the Canadian Red Cross or
the Vancouver Humane Society, 303-8623 Granville St., Vancouver, B.C.
V6P5A1. 201217
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Knight, Marjory (Marge)
Photo
KNIGHT, Marjory (Marge) Georgina (nee Acres) June 3, 1915 to January 28,
2006 Passed away peacefully at Beckley Farm Lodge, Victoria, BC. She was
born June 3, 1915 in Winnipeg, Manitoba and the family moved to Victoria on
her third birthday. Predeceased by her loving husband, George Edward on
February 5, 1998, also her sister Lil Walker and brothers Len, Bert, Fred
and Bob and daughterin-law Janey Knight. Survived by her children Gary
Knight (Penny) and Cheryl Fritz (Staaf); granddaughters, Gina Fritz
(Ricardo) Kathleen Fitz (Noel), Denise (Rob) Jonas and Michelle Rinaldi;
great-grandsons Justin Fritz and Kole Sharp; many nieces, nephews, family
and friends. Special thank you to Herb and Mel for years of caring. Mom will
be greatly missed by all who loved her and fondly remembered for her love of
family, music, animals, the simple life and a good cup of tea". Funeral
Service will be held in the Sands Funeral Chapel, 1803 Quadra Street,
Victoria, BC on Friday, February 3, 2006 at 12:00 p.m. Reverend Stephen
Swift officiating. The family wishes to thank Dr. Peter Houghton and the
staff at Beckley Farm Lodge for their excellent care and compassion. Friends
may make a donation in Marge's memory to the Alzheimer Society, 2571 A"
Quadra Street, Victoria, BC, V8T 4E1. 201791
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 2/1/2006 - 2/2/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Lasell, Leora
Photo
LASELL, Leora (nee Borton) August 12, 1926 January 26, 2006 "" Blessed are
the meek, For they shall inherit the earth." Matthew 5:5 Leora was born in
Edmonton, AB and passed away suddenly at her home in Victoria on January 26,
2006. Leora married W.D. (Bill) Lasell (deceased) on November 15, 1945 and
had seven beautiful children. She is predeceased by her parents and sister.
Leora is survived by and will be sadly missed by her loving family, children
Dawna (Pete) Engbrecht, Carol Nixon, Bill (Sandy) Lasell, Brenda (Ned)
Horsley, Liz (Rob) Hogg, Kim Lasell and Ray (Pat) Lasell; 12 grandchildren,
11 great-grandchildren, two brothers and two sisters as well as numerous
relatives and friends. Hi mom, it's just me. I've come to see how you're
doing. You know, lately you have been getting so much stronger, so much more
independent, making your own decisions and choices. But I wasn't prepared
for your decision to go off on a new adventure without us. Well since you
made that decision without any advice from us, all I can hope is you will
find a nice warm place in the sunshine, to sit and maybe find time to
finally write some of those children's books you have wanted to write for so
long. With all the children you have had come into your life, I think you
are an expert for sure by now. Maybe your long time friend Jack" the cat
will seek you out and curl up on your lap for a while. When you need a break
maybe there is a nice little garden you can spend some time puttering in,
with flowers for you to nurture along. You could always revive the most
scraggly little plant. I hope you have found some of your friends to sit and
do jigsaw puzzles with for a while. They will need your expertise and help
in finding the spot for those darned little pieces that just don't fit any
where. When you are finished that puzzle, then I am sure you will go back to
your crossword puzzle and make one more try to figure out that last
difficult word before the answer comes in the next newspaper. Mom you always
had a generous and forgiving heart for everyone. Those qualities were often
taken advantage of. Don't ever think it went unnoticed or unappreciated. It
may not have been mentioned often enough, but no matter what happened, you
never ever gave up on your job of being a mom and that was a very stressful
demanding job for sure. My guess is there were many times you were tempted
to look for other employment" with all seven of us under your wing but you
didn't. Mom I simply can't imagine how you did it all! Thank you for being
such a strong mom, with all you had to deal with throughout your life.
Emotional, physical and financial challenges thrown your way never really
got the best of you. You had wisdom that sometimes we scoffed at but darn it
when we looked into it you were usually right! You always seemed to fight
your way back. You look so delicate but your strength was in your
gentleness, kindness and ability to forgive anything. And I thank you for
that. Last time I saw you, you had a big smile on your face as I left. I
will remember that image forever. I don't know how I am going to do without
you here, but I will have to give it a try. But really you know mom, this is
one thing that I just don't think is going to work for me." A memorial
service for family and friends will be held on Thursday, February 2, 2006 at
Colwood Pentecostal Church, 2250 Sooke Road at 2:00 p.m. 201064
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

MacDonald, Roy "Mac"
MACDONALD, Roy "Mac " Passed away peacefully in Nanaimo, January 27th, 2006
at the age of 87. He is survived by his wife Beth, and his two sons Doug and
Allan and three grandchildren. 201075
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Mar, Andrew Jordheim and Nikki (Memoriam)
Andrew Jordheim Jan 11/1920 Feb 1/2001 Nikki Mar Nov 23/1970 Feb 1/2004 In
our heart and in our thoughts today and every day. 201265
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

McIntosh, Josephine
McINTOSH, Josephine Born February 29th, 1928 in Vancouver B.C. passed away
January 29th, 2006, in Victoria, B.C. Predeceased by her husband Alex. Jo is
survived by her sister Dorothy Chornoby, brother Tom (Jane) Williams, by her
daughter Bonnie (Frank) Morgan, son Robert Vergie McIntosh (Annie), daughter
Cathy Buckman, grandchildren Trish (Clay), Collette (Greg), Mike (Barb),
nieces, nephews, great-grandchildren and partner Jack Rendell. Jo liked to
go to Hawaii for peace, comfort and Her Birthdays". She was a past treasurer
of the Esquimalt Branch 172 Royal Canadian Legion. Jo really enjoyed being
with her family and friends. The family would like to thank, Diane for being
a friend and companion and Dr. Warnock for the loving care he provided.
Special thanks to the Hospice staff, especially Susan and Judy. Inurnment
Thursday, February 2, 2006 at 11:30 A.M. at Hatley Memorial Gardens.
Celebration of Jo's life will be held at Esquimalt Branch 172, Royal
Canadian Legion on Thursday, February 2, 2006 at 2:00 P.M. Friends who wish
may make donations to The Victoria Hospice Society, 1952 Bay Street,
Victoria, BC V8R 1J8. 201562
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Nelles, Charles (Bobs)
Photo
NELLES, Charles (Bobs) Macklem Passed away peacefully at the Royal Jubilee
Hospital on January 27th, 2006. Bobs was born in Bermuda on September 15th,
1916 and was predeceased by his parents, Admiral Percy and Helen Nelles,
RCN, and his eldest daughter Andrea. Survived by his loving wife Gwen,
daughter Jennifer (Ken) Baker, son David (Katie) and their mother Gillian.
Also survived by seven grandchildren, four great grandchildren and his
extended family: Ian and Bryan Scott-Moncrieff and Penny Quinlan. Bobs
received his B.Ed. from UVic and his M.Sc. from the University of Sydney
(Australia). He was a former Saanich Alderman, teacher at Norfolk House
School and President of Pandora Publishing Ltd. for 32 years. A family
gathering will be held on Thursday evening, February 2nd to celebrate Bob's
life. In lieu of flowers, donations to the B.C. Lung Association would be
greatly appreciated. 201492
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

O'Neill, Emily
Photo
O'NEILL, Emily Pearl (nee Mullett) It is with deep sadness that we announce
the passing of Pearl O'Neill who was born on November 18,1927 in Brookfield,
Newfoundland. Pearl was a lovely lady, a deeply devoted wife and mother who
spent most of her life caring for her wonderful family. (She had a kind word
for anyone she would meet.) She loved life, enjoyed a good laugh and was an
extremely loving and gentle person. Pearl will be sadly missed by everyone
whose lives she touched. Pearl passed away on January 26, 2006 at the Oak
Bay Kiwanis Pavilion surrounded by her loving family. She was predeceased by
her loving husband, Michael and is survived by her loving brother, Forward.
She also left behind seven beautiful children, Wayne, James (Glenda), Gary
(Donna), Caroline (Mike), Linda (Dan), Robert, Anna (Norm). Pearl also
leaves behind seventeen loving grand-children and twenty loving great
grand-children. A very special thank you to the staff of Unit 2A, at the Oak
Bay Kiwanis Pavilion: When we met; you were staff, then we became friends;
now you are family." At Pearl's request, there will be no funeral and in
lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Oak Bay Kiwanis Pavilion.
(Thanks Bob) Ma, you are now our guardian Angel 201169
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Pereira, Joan
PEREIRA, Joan Elizabeth (nee Craig) Passed away peacefully on January 24th,
2006 in Victoria, BC. Survived by daughter, Maria; grandson Devyn; and
former husband Frank Pereira. Funeral Service will be held at Sands Funeral
Chapel, 317 Goldstream Avenue, Victoria, BC on Saturday, February 4, 2006 at
1:00 pm. Interment will follow at Hatley Memorial Gardens, 2050 Sooke Road,
Victoria, BC. Flowers gratefully declined. Donations may be made in Joan's
memory to the Canadian Diabetes Association: 276-2950 Douglas Street,
Victoria, BC, V8T 4N4. 200903
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/30/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Slater, Robert
Photo
SLATER, Robert Alexander (Bob) Passed away peacefully, surrounded by his
family on Friday, January 20, 2006 at his home in Parksville, B.C. He now
joins his beloved wife Mary. Grumps", as he was affectionately known by all,
was also predeceased by his parents, Captain Arthur and Edith (Brethour)
Slater, his brothers Keith, Kenneth and Kelly, and son-in-law Walter Grant.
Grumps" is survived by brother Art (Hope), sister Jessie Jones (Al),
daughters Eleada Grant, Margaret Bushell (Jim), Shirley Jones (Rich),
Jeanette Orr (Ken) and son Rob and his grandchildren Theresa, Jamie (Kim),
Sarah, Maura (Oscar), Iain (Christy), Fiona (Adrian), Andrew, Megan (Dan),
Kenny, Daniel and Graham. Grumps" was also blessed by three much loved
great-grandchildren Mairie, Couper and Lily. Many nieces, nephews,
grandnieces and grandnephews also brought joy to his heart. Bob was born on
June 6th, 1919 in Sidney, B.C. and enjoyed his childhood years there on the
family farm. Bob graduated from North Saanich High School before serving in
the Army during World War II. Upon his discharge, Bob joined the Saanich
Fire Department where he rose to Assistant Fire Chief. While with the
Department, Bob was instrumental in organizing the Baby Sitters Course,
which was eventually taken over by the St. John's Ambulance Society. Bob was
also in charge of the first ambulance in the Fire Department, which served
as a model for the Provincial Ambulance Service. Bob was always active in
the community. As a young lad, he was a well-decorated Scout, eventually
becoming a Cub/Scout leader himself. and holding many positions as a Scout
Leader. Bob was president of the PTA and upon his retirement, organized and
headed the Saanich Search & Rescue. He also served as a spotter for the
Air/Sea Rescue. Following their retirement, Bob and Mary moved to Parksville
where they shared their love of the beaches and trails of the area. They
shared their home and their love of nature with their many friends and
family. Grump's kind and generous spirit brought joy to his family and many
others. Knowing him has enriched many lives and he will dwell in our hearts
forever. Family and friends are invited to a celebration of Grump's
wonderful life on Saturday, February 4th at 1:00 pm at the Parksville
Fellowship Baptist Church, 550 Pym St. Parksville. Those we love don't go
away They walk beside us every day Unseen, unheard but always near Still
loved and missed and ever dear. 201572
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 2/1/2006 - 2/2/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Stobo, Edna
Photo
STOBO, Edna Violet (nee Stoddart) Passed away peacefully at St. Charles
Manor on January 29, 2006 in her 95th year. Edna was born in Champion,
Alberta on November 1, 1910. Predeceased by her husband, Douglas, in 1948,
her sister Ida Gooderham in 1995 and her twin brother Elmer George (Bus) in
2004. She will be sadly missed by her sister Dorothy Gerlitz of Edmonton and
her extended family and many friends. Her passion for style and love of
fashion encompassed both her career and her personaI life. Special thanks to
everyone at St. Charles Manor for their thoughtfulness and care. A memorial
tea will be held at First Memorial Funeral Services, 1155 Fort Street, on
Thursday, February 2, at 2:00 P.M. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made
to a charity of your choice. 201506
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

Stokes, Jessie "Jay"
STOKES, Jessie "Jay " (nee Grant) Born February 6, 1910 in Cumberland BC,
passed away at the age of 95 on January 28, 2006. She is survived by and
will be deeply missed by her husband, Dick, sons, Rob (Joan), Rick (Arleen),
grandsons Mike (Karen), Ian, many nieces and nephews and brother-in-law
Jack. There will be a family memorial service at First Memorial, 4725
Falaise Drive on February 3 at 2:00 pm. In lieu of flowers, donations may be
made to the Heart and Stroke Foundation or the Cancer Society. 201252
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/31/2006 - 2/1/2006.
Notice . Guest Book

This thread: