CAN-NS-ANTIGONISH-L ArchivesArchiver > CAN-NS-ANTIGONISH > 2001-02 > 0982721190
From: Linda Darling <>
Subject: [Antigonish] Upper South River
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:06:30 -0500
From Place Names and Places ~~
UPPER SOUTH RIVER, Antigonish County
A settlement south of Antigonish, situated higher up the South River of
Antigonish than Lower South River.
Among the first settlers were Donald MacDonald who emigrated from Moydart
about 1805. Alexander McNeil (Saor), Roderick MacPherson (Rory Mor) who
emigrated from Moydart in 1802, John Cumming who emigrated from Rannoch,
Perthshire in 1803 but lived in Pictou County before removing to South
River, Duncan McGregor, also a native of Rannoch, Miles MacMillan (Maol
Moire) and Angus MacMillan of Lochaber and Dugald Ban McPhee and John
McMillan who came out from Lochaber, Scotland about 1801, William McMillan
from Lochness, Inverness, Scotland, who removed from Pictou to the South
River in 1838 and Alexander Kennedy who came out from Scotland in
1810. Among those taking up land on the west side of the river were Donald
McDonald, John McDonald, Donald McPherson, Hugh McNeil, Michael Horahan, of
Kilkenny, Ireland, Donald Ban McDonald, Donald McMillan, Allan Cameron and
Donald McPhee, Sergeant in the 79th Regiment.
In 1832 Archibald McLellan was teaching school at Upper South River and in
1848 William McHardy, master, had 17 scholars. The section at one time was
called South River Lake and extends from Fraser's Mills to the Guysborough
border. One of the most distinguished pupils to receive his schooling here
was Alexander Stirling MacMillan (1870-1955), Minister of Highways from
1925 to 1927 and 1933 to 1945 and Premier of Nova Scotia from 1940 to 1945.
It was a postal way office from 1855 to 1867 and C.A. Cameron was
postmaster in 1869.
This is excellent farming land along the river, especially suited for
dairying, and in 1898 there was a cheese factory there. The population in
1956 was 106.
|[Antigonish] Upper South River by Linda Darling <>|