CAN-NS-ANTIGONISH-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-NS-ANTIGONISH > 2008-05 > 1210798840

From: "Vince MacNeil" <>
Subject: Re: [Antigonish] MacInnis
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 18:00:40 -0300

Hi Mike,

http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=6063

Here is the info from the MacNeil section. Someone typed this up and sent it
to me. The families of both Malcolm MacNeils below appear to be different
versions of the same family. You will find the refence to your Campbells
below in this text.

Vince

A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF ANTIGONISH NOVA SCOTIA

By: Reverend D..J.Rankin
Page 326

MacNeil

Four families of MacNeils settled at Doctor's Brook, in Arisaig parish, in
the county of Antigonish. John McNeil (Breac) settled on the land now
owned by Stephen MacNeil, and his Hector. John MacNeil (Brown) settled on
the land west of John MacNeil (Breac) on which William B. MacNeil and Duncan
MacKenzie now live. The latter property, on which Duncan MacKenzie lives,
being a grant of land taken out by his son, John, 100 acres, which John
MacNeil (Brown) sold to Donald MacKenzie (grandfather of the present
occupant). The son removed to St. Peter's, C.B. and his descendants are
there to this day.
Donald MacNeil (Black) settled on the land now owned by John, Joe, Gillis
and the late Don J. MacDonald, to the west again of the two former. He
left no heirs. Rory MacNeil (Ban) settled on the property now occupied by
Donald and Colin Grant. The descendants of this Rory MacNeil are in this
county, and some in Pictou County, D.C.MacNeil of Antigonish, being one.
Donald MacNeil came to Morar, and is connected by marriage with the
above-mentioned.
John MacNeil (Black) took up the property on which the present church at
Georgeville is built. He came from Scotland with John Gillis, the first
settler to Arisaig, and when John Gillis was returning to Scotland to bring
out is wife, and child, he was asked by MacNeil to bring out a relative of
Gillis's, whom he could marry whe she arrived.

Rory MacNeil (Ban)

Rory MacNeil, Ban, married Miss MacDonald. He was the first settler to New
France (near Fraser's Grant). Rory had a brother, Donald, for whom he went
surety, and he lost his own farm at Doctor's Brook in order to pay the
amount afterwards. He had issue: Capt.Donald married to Miss Cameron,
sister to Peggy (they lived at Fairmount); John (Blacksmith) married; Angus
married to Miss MacDonald, daughter of Angus, Young John; they lived at
Fraser's Grant; Capt. Alex married to Miss MacDonald, daughter Rory, sister
to Big Painter's wife; daughter married to Colin Chisholm; daughter married
to John Chisholm.
Capt.Donald, son of Rory, pioneer, married Miss Cameron, with issue: Capt.
Arhcie, who after thirty-eight years in the States, came home, not married;
Capt. Rory married sister of Capt. Don MacDonald; William married Mary
Breen, mother was Big Mary MacNeil; Donald married Margaret MacDonald (Og);
John died young; Mary not married; Ann not married, is housekeeper for
Father Chisholm; Belle married Colin MacNeil, blacksmith; Liliain drowned in
August gale.
William, son of Donald, son of Rory, pioneer, married Mary Breen, with
issue: Dan C. married to Nan MacDonald, sister of John A, MacDonald,
Maryvale; John W. not married (one of the first to enlist in the army, died
of ptomaine poisoning); Rod not married; James died young; and two other
daughters.
Angus, son of Rory, pioneer, married Miss MacDonald with issue: Laughlin
married to Miss Chisholm, Fraser Grant; Rory married; Angus married Miss
MacGillivray, Lakevale.
Alex, son of Rory, pioneer, married Miss MacDonald, with issue: Rory;
Florence married to ? Miss Simpson; John ; Mary married to Wm. Barry;
Stephen killed in Great War; Margaret married to Pat Hanrahan; Catherine
married to Mr. Chase; Alex left home and was last heard of in California;
Colin died in Boston; Dan not married.

MacNeil (Fiddler)

Donald MacNeil, Fiddler, came from Moidart, Scotland, in 1803, to Upper
South River. He married Ann MacPherson, with issue: Angus married Miss
MacDonald, daughter of Donald (Giant); Roderick married Miss MacDonald,
sister of Farmer.

MacNeil (Farmer)

Tuathanach Ban: Four brothers, John, Alex, Hugh and Donald, came from
Moidart, Scotland, to South River. John married and went to Cape Breton;
Alex married and went to Cape Breton; Hugh married Janet MacFarlane; Donald
married and went to Cape Breton.
Hugh, pioneer, married Janet MacFarlane with issue: Angus married Catherine
MacDonald, daughter of Allan Dhu; there was another son; Mary married Angus
MacDonald, son of Allan Dhu; a daughter married Angus MacDonald (Ban); a
daughter married Alex MacDonald; Christy married Alex Gillis (Kinlock); and
another daughter.
Angus, son of Hugh, pioneer, married to Catherine MacDonald, with issue:
John married; Dan married to a western lady; Allan died young; Hugh
married; Janet married Colin Chisholm; Chrsity married A.D. MacPherson.

MacNeil

I have been informed by Miss Nancy MacDonald, daughter of Hugh (Gow), from
whom I got very valuable documents which her father left, and which she took
great care, that the following are the reasons for the names "Gow", "Breac",
"Brown", "Black", and "Ban". Near Dougall MacDonald, "Gow", who was a
blacksmith, lived another Dougall MacDonald, "Mor", who was a big man, but
as the blacksmith was also a big man, they called the blacksmith "Gobha".
Near them was a Mr. Daley, who did not know Gaelic, but being accustomed to
hear the rest of the community call the latter "Gobha", he could get no
nearer the pronunciation than "Gow". The four MacNeils (of the name of
John) settled not far from each other, and because John had brown hair, it
gained for him the title of "Brown", another had black hair, therefore he
was called "Black" John; another had a freckled face, and they called him
"Breac" and the other being swarthy of complexion, resembled very much
more the French Acadian than a native of Scotland, hence the name "French
John".

MacNeil (Breac)

John MacNeil, Breac, came from Knoydart, Scotland in 1788. He married
Margaret MacDonald, daughter of Donald, and grandaunt of Rev. K.J.MacDonald.
They had issue: Catherine, who was the first white child born on Gulf shore;
she married Roderick MacNeil, Grand Narrows, C.B.; Stephen married Jane
MacDonald; Angus married Mary MacRae; Donald married Janet Grant; Hector
married Ann Nash; John married Margaret MacDonald and lived at Arisaig; Alex
married Mary MacDonald; James married Mary MacNeil; Mick married a Miss
Campbell from Cape Breton; Mary married John MacNeil (Fiddler) of the
MacNeils of Georgeville.
Stephen son of John, pioneer, married Jane MacDonald with issue: Margaret
married to Mr. Cameron, in Glenngarry, Ont. (issue four girls); john married
an American lady in Lowell, Mass.,(issue one boy); Mick, not married, an
engineer); Nellie, not married, in Boston, a trained nurse.
Angus, son of John Breac, pioneer, married Mary MacRae with issue: John
married Margaret MacDonald (drowned). They had one son, John, who was
married and had one daughter in Ladysmith, Texas.
Dan married twice (First wife, Catherine MacAdam), no issue; second wife
(Miss MacDonald, in Prince Edward Island left one son Dan: Christopher not
married; James not married; John married twice, first wife, Margaret
Keating; second wife, Miss Fitch, no issue; Dan died young; Mary married Wm.
Chisholm; Catherine no married; Janet not married.
John, son of Angus, son of John Breac, married Margaret Keating with issue:
John died young; Mary died young and Helena.
Donald, son of John, Breac, married Janet Grant with issue: Mary not
married; Dan married Christina MacDonald; John married Jane MacDonald;
Elizabeth married to Alex Mclean; Sarah married Christopher Fraser.
Dan, son of Donald, son of John Breac, married Christina MacDonald, with
issue: one son John D. who married Annie Beaton; issue, one daughter Mary
Assumpta.
John, son of Donald, son of John, Breac, married Jane MacDonald, with issue:
Angus married Christy MacLeod; Dan P. married twice first wife, Miss.
Chisholm; second wife from County Harbour; Maggie married twice, her first
husband Mar. MacDonald, no issue; second husband Mick MacDonald, Thorburn,
no issue; Michael, son of Donald, son of John Breac, married Ann MacDonald,
with issue, one daughter died young; John not married, Hector son of John
Breac married Ann Nash with issue: John left home when young and whereabouts
unknown; Rod married Christy MacDonald, issue one son John who married a
Miss Stewart, New Glasgow; Colin married to Miss Moody; Dan married in
Boston with issue two boys and a girl; Hector married in Londonderry, N.S.;
Angus married Christy MacPherson; Roddy, married lives in Thorburn; Stephen
married Elizabeth McKinnon; Alex died; Mick married a Cape Breton woman and
lives in Londonderry, N.S.a nd has a family; Sarah married Angus McKinnon
of Grand Narrows; Mary married John Gillis; Stephen, son of Hector, son of
John Breac married Elizabeth McKinnon with issue: Hector not married; Alex
married Miss MacDougall with one son; Rory married Maggie MacInnis;
Catherine married in Virginia, and Bessie at home.

James, son of John, pioneer, married Mary McNeil, with issue: John H,
dead; Dan P. married Elizabeth MacDonald, one boy, died age 25 years; Angus
married to Lilliain MacKenzie; Catherine married to Alex MacDonald,
Thorburn; Mary died young; Elizabeth died young.

Angus, son of James, son of John , pioneer, married Lillian MacKenzie, with
issue John, in British Columbia; Mary Bell married John A. MacDonald,
Maryvale; Bessie married Dan Ross, Butte, Montana; Maggie; Jim in Detroit;
Joe, Collie, Kate, Ella, and Agnes.
Alex, son of John, Breac, married Mary McDonald, with issue: John not
married, died in Australia; Donald not married, died in Boston of smallpox;
Michael, not married died in Australia; Mary died not married; Elizabeth
died not married; Catherine died not married; Lucy married in Ontario;
Margaret married Duncan MacDonald. Mick, son of John Breac, married Miss
Campbell, with issue: Stephen, married, had one son John S. who was studying
for the priesthood and about ready to be ordained when he died.
Angus, son of John, son of Donald, son of John Breac, married Christy
MacLeod with issue: John Dan; Mick; Ronald, Cassie.

John MacNeil (Brown)

John MacNeil (Brown) married Mary Grant, with issue: John married and lived
at St. Peter's, had a grant of 500 acres of land there; Alex married
Elizabeth MacKenzie; Donald married and lived in Michigan, USA, had one
daughter; Peter married Jane MacDonald, was a blacksmith and lived in Port
Hood; Michael, not married died young; Archie went to Glengarry, Ont.; Neil
not married drowned off a ship; Mary married; Janet married Angus MacDonald,
Dougal Mor; Alex son of John (Brown) married Elizabeth MacKenzie, with
issue: John died young; Donald married Sarah Grant; Michael married Mary
MacDonald, D.D.'s sister; Neil married Mary McKinnon; Mary married Hugh
MacPherson; Elizabeth married John Fraser, son of Austin, brother of the
Bishop; Mary not married.
Donald, son of Donald, son of John *Ban, married Mary MacDonald, with issue:
John, not married; Dan Peter, not married in California; Duncan out west;
James, brother Allan, C.S.C.; Alexander died young; Roddie married to Miss
MacDonald, in Sydney; Bella died young; Maggie married; Mary married. ( *
The author wrote Ban, I wonder if it is a typo and should be Brown)
Neil, son of Donald, son of John, pioneer, married Mary MacKinnon, with
issue: Bella died young; Joe out west in Virginia.

Hector MacNeil (Ban)

Hector MacNeil (Ban) lived at Doctor's Brook long before any of the present
living residents of Arisaig can remember, and had a family of two boys:
James and John, who went to live at Fairmont, and several daughters. It is
possible, in fact very probable, that the Angus and Donald MacNeil who went
to Cape Breton to Iona of whom Rev. A.J. MacKenzie inquired (See elsewhere
for theses MacNeils) are of this family.

MacNeil (French)

Two brothers, Murdock and John, came out and their descendants lived at
Clydesdale.
Murdock married and had one son Alex.
John (French) married with issue: John married (one of his grandsons is
Walter, in New Glasgow; Charles married Ann MacDonald, a granddaughter of
Donald the weaver, who was an u ncle of Hugh (Gow); Joseph married to the
widow of John Campbell, who was drowned off a raft; Alex married.

MacNeil (Black)

Malcolm MacNeil (Black) came from Halifax after the Highland regiment taking
part in the war of 1779 disbanded, about the same time that the other
MacNeils, all Barra men, came to Malignant Cove. His brother Rory was
drafted, but as Malcolm was single and Rory was married, and had a family,
the former took the latter's place in the army. Rory never came to
America. This is the family tree as far as can be ascertained.
Rory married; a sister of his wife was married to John Campbell, (issue:
Duncan and Hector, both settled in Red Islands); Malcolm married Janet
MacDonald, a widow who was first married to a Mr. MacLean, one of their sons
was Sean MacLean of River Inhabitants, C.B., they were Protestants but she
became a Catholic when she married. They had the following family: Rory
married Ann MacNeil, daughter of James; John married Christy Grant; Lauchlin
married in Red Islands and one of his grandson is L/P., is a summer resident
of Arisaig, but resides in New Glasgow,N.S.; Robert married to Catherine
MacDonald; Sarah married John McHale Grant.
Rory, son of Malcolm (Black), married Ann MacNeil, with issue: Malcolm
married to Mary Ann MacDonald, Glebe Road; Mary married Hugh MacPherson,
Georgeville; John married Ann MacDonald, Malignant Cove; Laughlin married to
a daughter of Angus MacNei, Lakevale; Michael married Janet Grant; Rory
married to Miss MacDougall, Gulf Road.
John, son of Malcolm (Black) married Chrsity Grant with issue: Rory; Donald
married to Ann Campbell; John Colin married to Mary MacDonald; others,
Maloclm; Patrick; Alex; Sarah; Janet and Eliz. .
Robert, son of Malcolm (Black) married Cath MacDonald with issue: John;
Malcolm; Alex; Allan; Will; Ann, all living at Fairmont.

Donald MacNeil (Og)

Donald MacNeil (Og) was one of the first settlers at Cape George or Cape
Lewis, married with issue: Ann married to Hector MacDougall (Red) Christmas
Island; Neil and John.
Angus married to Miss Gillis, remained at Cape George; Donald married Miss
McKinnon, aunt of Father Colin McKinnon; Hector and Michael died of
smallpox; Catherine married Donald McKinnon.
Angus, son Donald MacKinnon, pioneer, married Miss Gillis with issue: Rory
married Elizabeth MacDonald, aunt of Capt. Archie, moved to Prince Edward
Island about sixty years ago; John (Fiddler) married Margaret MacNeil;
Malcolm not married; Angus not married; Margaret married Hugh Gillis.
Rory, son of Angus, son of Donald, pioneer, married Elizabeth MacDonald with
issue: Angus, John, Stephen, Donald, Angus, Mary, Elizabeth, and Kate. (2
Angus)
John, son of Angus, son of Donald married Margaret MacNeil with issue:
Donald not married, died in the West; Donald died young; John followed the
sea; Michael married Catherine MacEachern, Gaspereau Lake; Catherine married
John MacDonald (Mason), River Inhabitants; Janet married William Dunn; Annie
married Angus Dunn; Mary not married; Christy married John Chisholm,
harnessmaker.
Donald, son of Donald, pioneer, married Miss MacKinnon, with issue: Mary
married James McNeil; Catherine married John MacDonald, son of Ronald
(Gashen); Ann not married, died in Boston; Angus married a Miss Moody of
Cambridge, Mass.; John married Ann MacDonald, daughter of Rory, Harbour;
Colin married Isabella MacNeil (Hollawell Grant); Donald married Ann
MacDougall; Elizabeth married Donald MacDonald of Cape Breton; Margaret
married Neil Campbell (one son, Roderick, iin Lourdes); Charles, a sea
captain, died coming from Scotland.
John, son of Donald, son of Donald, pioneer, married Ann MacDonald with
issue: John, Dan and one daughter. (Note: -- Their father died and their
mother married again in Prince Edward Island).
Colin, son of Donald, son of Donald, pioneer, married Isabelle MacNeil, with
issue: Dan lived in Boston; John Charles lived in the States; Vincent; Mary
and Cassie.
Donald, son of Donald, son of Donald, pioneer, married Ann MacDougall, with
issue: Donald, married living in Port Arthur; is a conductor on the railway;
Duncan married Miss MacDonald, daughter of Dougald, son of Alex; Marie
married Colin Chisholm (Hollawell Grant); Clementine married Mr.
MacGillivray; Charles married Miss MacInnis; John died young and Albert
died young.
Angus, son of Donald, son of Donald, pioneer, married Miss Moody with issue:
Dan; Angus; Theophilis died young; Jim and Mary.

MacNeil, Malcolm (Dubh)

The above names came to Arisaig, Antigonish County, about the year 1792,
and later settled in Georgeville. He was married to a widow named MacLean,
who already had an encumbrance of one son who was well known throughout
Inverness County. The children of Malcolm MacNeil were four four sons:
Rory married to Mary macNeil; John married Christy Grant; Robert married
Miss MacDonald; Lauchlin went to Cape Breton where he was married and had a
family of three sons: Maloclm, Michael and Donald. Most of the members of
this family eventually moved to Pictou County.
Jessie, daughter of Malcolm MacNeil (Dubh), was married to Martin Walsh.
The children of Rory MacNeil were: Malcolm married to Mary MacDonald, with
no issue; James married Ann MacDonald with issue, Mary Ann married Frank
MacKenzie; Roderick killed in Ontario; Jack, Gus and Kate not married.
Lauchlin, son of Rory, married to 1. Flora MacNeil with issue: Maggie
married in Glace Bay; Mary married to Dan MacGillivray; Jennie died young;
James married to an East Bay lady in Sydney; Rory unmarried was killed in
the Cape Breton mines; Angus married in New Glasgow; 2. Cassie MacDonald
with issue, two daughters, Bella and Flora Bell.
Michael son of Rory, was married to Christina Grant with no issue.
Rory married to Margie MacDougall with no issue.
Mary married Hugh MacPherson.
John , son of Malcolm (Dubh) married to Christina Grant, with issue: Donald
married Ann Campbell, with issue: John married Elsie MacNeil of Prince
Edward Island; Kate married William Clark; Mary not married; Sarah married
Charles Beatty; Peter and Christina were not married and Ronald died young.
John, Sarah, Alex, Jessie, Betsy, and Patrick, of the family of John MacNeil
and Christina Grant, were no married. Colin, oof this family was married
to Mary MacDonald with issue of one son Dan, who did not marry and two
daughters, Sarah not married, and another Sarah, who died young.
The children of Robert MacNeil and Miss MacDonald were: Malcolm married had
one son, Colin, living; another son killed; Ann and John who were not
married.