CAN-NS-GUYSBOROUGH-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-NS-GUYSBOROUGH > 2001-04 > 0988582312

From: Peggy Feltmate <>
Subject: Frederick "The Bear Killer" Feltmate
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:11:52 -0400

For those listers who have "Feltmate" on their family tree,
the administration papers for Frederick Feltmate have been
discovered. Here is a transcript:

To His Excellencey Lieutenant General Sir James Kempt Knight Grand Cross
Lieutenanat Governor and Commander in Chief in and over the province of
Nova Scotia etc etc etc
the Petition of Isabella Feltmate and John Feltmate of Guysborough in the
County of Sydney, Administratrix and Administrator to the estate of
Frederick Feltmate late of said place, Husbandman, deceased. Humbly sheweth
that Frederick Feltmate lately died at Guysborough aforesaid where upon
your petitioners took out letters of administration and upon investigation
of said estate your petitioners find the deceased affairs in a very
[arranged? deranged? damaged?] state and sums of money owing to divers
persons to the amount of one hundred and twenty pounds that the personal
estate only amounts to the sum of twenty two pounds it will therefore be
necesary for commissioners to be appointed to inquire into the particulars
of the Debt and credits of said estate. May it therefore please your
Excellency to take the [premises?] into consideration and be graciously
pleased to appoint commissioners to examine into the particulars of the
debts and credits of said estate and to report thereon without delay and
your petitioners as in duty bound will ever pray --
Isabella Feltmate her mark
John Feltmate administer
Guysborough January 1827

To His Excellency Lieutenant General Sir James Kempt, Knight Grand Cross of
the Most Honorable Military Order of the Bath, Lieutenant Governor and
Commander in chief in and over His Majesty's Province of Nova Scotia and
its Dependencies etc etc etc And to the Honorable His Majesty's Council of
the same province - We the Subscribers having been appointed by your
Excellency and Honors to examine into the Debts and Credits of the Estate
of the late Fredrick Feltmate of the Township of Guysborough deceased and
to report thereon, do hereby in pursuance thereof certify and report that
having carefully examined into the Debts and credits of said Estate we find
that the said Frederick Feltmate was indebted the sum of one hundred and
fourteen pounds two shillings and two pence which is still due and owing to
said creditors and chargeable against the Estate of the deceased. We also
find that the said Fredrick Feltmate at the time of his death was possessed
of personal property to the amount of Twenty two pounds and six pence and
was also [seized?] in Fee simple of certain real estate comprising a tract
of land with a dwelling house and stable thereon situate and lying in the
township of Guysborough aforesaid containing two hundred and fifty acres
held by Dec'd from Levin Bedford. Also a tract of one hundred acres of land
at Country Harbour in the county of Sydney held by Dec'd from Benjamin
Hines. That the whole of the credits of said estate amount to twenty two
pounds and sixpences and we find that it will be absolutely necessary to
sell or dispose of the real estate of the said deceased for and toward the
payment and satisfaction of his debts, all which we humbly certify to Your
Excellency and Honors dated at Guysborough this tenth day of April in the
year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty eight.

[signed} Francis Cook, Isaac Wylde.

[Note that Jost in Guysborough Sketches says that Levin Bedford' s land was
among the grants to the 60th Regiment and was Lot Number 26, 250 acres -
"other lands", not a "town lot". Salsman in her Homeland Country Harbour
Vol. 1, says that "According to local reports, Benjamin Hines and his
family physically built the church at Stormont."- pf]
---
Court of Probate Office, County of Sydney, Lower District
I do hereby certify that Isabella Feltmate Administratrix and John Feltmate
Administrator to the Estate of John [sic] Feltmate late of Guysborough in
the Lower District of the county of Sydney Deceased have given into this
officer full and ample security to Account for the Proceeds upon the sale
of the real estate of the [late?] deceased according to Law. Given under my
hand at Guysborough in said county this 13 day of January 1829. Thomas
Cutler Judge of Probates.

----end of transcript. Items in square brackets are mine. ---

We knew Fred's wife was Isabella from an old deed in which she was named,
but we only had circumstantial evidence that John F Feltmate was actually
Fred's son. These letters of estate administration provide the most
compelling proof so far that John was certainly son of Fred.

Peggy

This thread: