CAN-NS-KINGS-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-NS-KINGS > 2006-09 > 1158457800

Subject: Re: [KINGS] Census, Birth, Marriage info - McKenna
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 01:50:00 +0000

Karen, thank you for the note. This is my husband's family and pretty much this is the earliest and most complete info that I currently have. I know that within a few months NS is putting a bunch of birth, death and marriage info on line - so perhaps that will help. It is quite possible that Andrew and Thomas were related and I will keep your contact info if I come across any additional info. Barbara McKenna

From: "No Limit Leagues" <>

My McKenna's came from Ireland through Nova Scotia and into the United States. I wonder if they were related to yours. James McKenna was born in 1802 in County Monaghan, Ireland and was married to Jane McQuade, Their first child was born in Nova Scotia in 1841, but I am unsure when they arrived in North America. My great grandfather, Andrew McKenna, was born in Nova Scotia in 1847. A researcher sent this information to my aunt years ago:

I found the baptism for ANDREW MCKENNA:
In 1848: 2 Jan at Kentville: baptized Andrew aged two weeks: legitimate son of James McKenna and Jane McQuade. Sponsors: Eugene McGarry and Mary Treanor by Thomas Walsh.
This entry was in the register of St. John's Roman Catholic Church, Windsor, NS
Evidently the records for the years 1840-1845 were not available for micro-filming. But at least we found the baptism record for your ancestor, which proves that the family was here, and that they were living in the community of Kentville, Kings County, Nova Scotia. That community was originally called Cornwallis, and was settled in 1762 by families from New England. The Acadians were there before them. The first Catholic Church was not built until 1854. Before then, the community was served by St John's, in Windsor.
This is not on the worksheet, but today while reading the same reel for another client, I found the baptism for George, age three years, son of Edward Monohan and Mary McKenna, 28 June, 1846, sponsors Laurence Dermott and Anne Walsh at Horton. So evidently there were other McKenna families in the area. Perhaps that is why James and Jane went there.

James and Mary had arrived in Illinois by 1851 or 1856 and then on to Iowa where they lived the rest of their lives. So I assume they lived in Nova Scotia a minimum of ten years. Often Irish families followed other family members to a location, so I am curious if any of your research could possibly link your Thomas to my James. Do you know who his parents were? Or his siblings? I do not have any information on James parents but do know one sibling, and possibly two. How about James wife: any McQuades (McQuaid) in your lineage?

Please respond if there might be some connection here.

Karen McKenna ()