CAN-ONT-LAMBTON-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-ONT-LAMBTON > 2000-09 > 0968125269

From: LYNN CROCKETT <>
Subject: [LAMBTON] RE: James and Martha nee CARSON BOWLS
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 20:41:09 -0700

Hi Rosemary:
I think we have chatted before; you are in BC?

The information you provided is my BOWLS line except a few 'new' bits of
info. Did not know about being a drummer nor Franktown, Ont as being
first place of settlement. Story goes in my family that not until my
grandfather was the name spelt BOWLES. His name was Wilbur James (Bill)
b 1905 Sombra Twp, Lambton Co; d 1997 London, Ontario.

The following provides the first 2 generations:

Descendants of James BOWLS - 4 Sep 2000
FIRST GENERATION

1. James BOWLS was born in 1809 in England. He died on 9 Feb 1894 in
Sarnia, Lambton, Ont, Canada.

1851 Lambton County, Ontario Census
James Bowls, b England 1809
Martha, b England 1811
James, b England 1830
Alexander, b England 1832
Harry, b England 1836

John, b England 1819 (age 32) - a brother to James?

Martha CARSON was born in 1811 in New York, USA. She died on 12 Mar
1875 in Sarnia, Lambton, Ont, Canada. James BOWLS and Martha CARSON had
the following children:

+2i.James BOWLS.
3ii.Alexander BOWLS was born in 1832. 1851 Census was age 19
4iii.Harry BOWLS was born in 1836. 1851 census was age 15

SECOND GENERATION

2. James BOWLS was born on 28 Feb 1850 in Ontario, Canada. He died on
25 Apr 1940 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. He was buried on 27 Apr 1940 in
Vancouver, BC, Canada. Lived in a log cabin in Sombra Township; farmed;
also in the lumber business; worked in the lumber camps in Espanola, MI
in 1900; moved into a brick house he built. In 1901, was Reeve of
Sombra Township; had a team of Arabian horses; in 1918, moved to
Vancouver; made trips back to Ontario until too old; died in his
90's (same for wife Lucinda). Had 30 great grandchildren and 5
great-great children at the time of his death.

Reg # 1940-09-571197
BC film B13168 GSU film 1953628
Place of Death: Vancouver General Hospital
Length of Residence: 22 years in Vancouver, BC
Residence: 1011 Woodland Drive, Vancouver, BC
Nationality: Canadian
Racial Origin: English
Marital Status: Married
Birth Place: Ontario
Age: 90 years, 1 mos, 28 days
Profession: Lumber; general lumber business
Wife: Lucinda bowls
Father: James Bowls born England
Mother: Martha Carson born New York, USA
Immediate Cause of Death: Coronary sclerosis with thrombosis
Informant: Mrs R Barr, 1011 Woodland Dr, Vancouver, BC; daughter
Buried: Mt View Cemetery
Undertaker: Chapman Funeral Home

He was married to Lucinda RICHARDS (daughter of John RICHARDS and Eliza
HOPKINS) in Port Huron, St Clair, Michigan, USA. Lucinda RICHARDS was
born on 15 Oct 1850 in Ontario, Canada. She died on 11 Nov 1940 in
Vancouver, BC, Canada. She was buried on 13 Nov 1940 in Vancouver, BC,
Canada.

Death registration # 1940-09-579480
BC film B13169 GSU film 1953629
Place of Death: Grandview Hospital, Vancouver, BC
Resident: 22 years Vancouver, BC
Residence: 1011 Woodland Dr, Vancouver, BC
Nationality: Canadian
Racial Origin: Irish
Marital Status: Widow
Age: 90 years, 27 days
Profession: Housewife; retired
Father: John Richards born Wales
Mother: Eliza Hopkins born Ireland
Cause of Death: Extensive cancer of the ovary
Informant: Mrs. R Barr, 1011 Woodland Dr, Vancouver, BC; daughter
Burial: Mt View Cemetery 13 Nov 1940

James BOWLS and Lucinda RICHARDS had the following children:
+5i.Mae BOWLS.
+6ii.Gladys BOWLS.
7iii.John H BOWLS. Lived in Lambton County when father died
+8iv.Ella BOWLS.
+9v.Albert Edgar (Bert) BOWLS.
10vi.Wilfrid J BOWLS. Lived in Lambton County when father died; had
11 children

Let me know if this is the correct family; willing to share all I know!

Lynn Crockett
San Jose, CA

Searching for any information at all about James Bowles and his wife,
Martha (maiden name unknown) James was born in Yarmouth, England, c1804,
and served as a drummer with the Ninth Regiment, Foot, Norfolk, England.
He and Martha came to Canada and settled in Franktown, Ont, where he was
a carpenter (and farmer?) in that area about 1840. He and Martha had
four daughters and five sons.
James Bowles died in London, Ont, 1 Feb 1894, and was buried in Sarnia,
Ont. Martha died 4 Mar 1875 in Sarnia. Can anyone help me with these
pioneers?
Rosemary Linn

This thread: