CAN-ONT-YORK-L Archives

Archiver > CAN-ONT-YORK > 2005-07 > 1120405818

From: Stuart Cresswell <>
Subject: HUDDLESTON Family
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 16:50:18 +0100

I have just joined this list in the hope that I may get clues as to the
descendants of my gg-grandfather's brother James HUDDLESTON.

I have been working with Bernie Clarke on this and below is what we
know/surmise now.

Any clues would be welcome - even better if there is a descendant who
can fill in gaps.

I am in UK (English Lake District) but will be visiting Ontario in
September and hope to see areas of family interest - and relations if
any are found by then.

Stuart
=============================

The Family of James HUDDLESTON (in Canada)

James HUDDLESTON (born 6 Nov 1814 in Winchester, England and died [per
will] before 21 May 1851) married, in 1838 at Grace Anglican Church
Brantford, Emma COE. James was living in Willoughby Twp
(It is possible that she was daughter of John COE. Emma died after 1847
[birth of child] and before Jamess will 24th January 1851 but her
mother was alive at that time)

James had arrived in Upper Canada in 1834 (on Hannibal from
Portsmouth, England departed 21st Sep arrived New York 23rd Oct) and
settled near his brother Frederick (who had a farm at Chippewa, but left
Canada in 1842). Fred bought Elliotts Farm for James at 425 guineas
possibly in 1835

They had six children (see later for details)

Emma Coe HUDDLESTON
Fanny Louisa Denman HUDDLESTON
Elizabeth Ursula HUDDLESTON
Caroline Eleanor Gauntlett HUDDLESTON
John Croft HUDDLESTON
Rose Brabigan HUDDLESTON

WILL & CODICIL of James HUDDLESTON

James will (24 Jan 1851) and codicil (25 Jan 1851) were made at
Saltfleet Township in Wentworth County in the Province of Canada with
other bequests he left guardianship of his children to Lousia LEWIS. He
also mentions Eleanor COE (it is not clear whether this is his mother in
law or another COE). His wife is not mentioned so we must assume that
she had died earlier.

From website Ancestors of Clarence Lewis we know that Louisa Lewis was
the second wife 1849 of Daniel LEWIS (b 17 Jan 1790 at Grimsby Twp,
Lincoln Co and d 18 Feb 1864 at Wentworth). Louisa was born 1815 in
England

CENSUSES

In the 1851 Census (taken January 1852) at Saltfleet Twp, Wentworth Co were:

Daniel 61, Lousia 34, and Lewis children 18, 16, 14, 10, 8, a Mrs
BRABIGAN 28 widow born Ontario, the six HUDDLESTON children 13, 12, 10,
8, 4, 6 (except Elizabeth Ursula appears to have become Clarissa) plus
Ann EDISON 18, John BOLAND 28 & Eardley NORTON 30 (1 male and 1 female
were absent at census time)

The next household contained:

John COE 70 widower
David LESLIE 50
Ellen COE 30
John BRADFORD 20

In the 1861 Census at Saltfleet Twp, Wentworth Co were:

Daniel LEWIS 71
Louisa LEWIS 44
John HUDDLESTON 15
Caraline HUDDLESTON 16
Rose HUDDLESTON 12
Clarissa LEWIS 16

And next door

Howard HALES 34
Emma HALES 21 (?Emma HUDDLESTON)
Emma HALES 4
John JOBAT?? 5
Ira LEWIS 16
William GENNINGS? 14

1871 St Andrews Ward Toronto West

Louisa LEWIS 54 widow born England occ- boarding house
Fanny NIBLOE 27 widow
Caroline MILNE 35 widow occ- boarding house
Rose HUDDLESTONE 20
Emma HEALES 13
George MILNE 2
John McCANE 25 born Ireland occ-clerk
James ROBERTSON 25 born Scotland occ-clerk

1881 St Patricks Ward, Toronto, York

Louisa LEWIS wid 69 b England
Emma LEWIS 20 b Ontario Music Teacher

COMMENTS/QUESTIONS

Were Louisa LEWIS & Mrs BRABIGAN sisters of Emma COE Jamess wife?
This could account for the use of their names in the HUDDLESTON family
and the guardianship.

At the time of his death James HUDDLESTON had no one of his own family
in Canada, other than his children.

THE SECOND GENERATION

We either know or can surmise these details of James & Emma HUDDLESTONs
children

(order per will and later births per 1851/1861 Censuses)

Emma Coe HUDDLESTON
born Saltfleet 15 Jul1839, bap 20 Sep 1839 Holy Trinity Anglican Church,
possibly married Howard HALES or Heales before 1861 census or before
1857 if Emma HALES 4 in 1871 is her daughter

Fanny Louisa Denman HUDDLESTON
born Saltfleet 19 Oct1840, ? bap 16 Jul 1842,
possibly married in 1861 [per Brantford*] to Andrew or Ancker NIBLOE.
She was a widow by 1871 and remarried 17 June 1871, in Toronto, Hugh B A
WILLOUGHBY aged 23. He was born Canada occ-gentleman, son of George
Edmund & Mary WILLOUGHBY (who may have married in 1845 in York Co; in
1871 Mary may have been a widow in York Twp). The witnesses were James
ROBERTSON and Rose Brabigan HUDDLESTON

Elizabeth Ursula HUDDLESTON
born Saltfleet 16 Jul 1842, bap 14 Aug 1842 Holy Trinity Anglican Church,
married 1859 William ARMSTRONG of Toronto son of John ARMSTRONG (per
Wentworth Co marriage index 1858-1869)

Caroline Eleanor Gauntlett HUDDLESTON
born Saltfleet 1844/1845
possibly married 1868 per Brantford*
possibly to Mr MILNE who died between 1868 & 1871 leaving her with a son
George born 1869

John Croft HUDDLESTON
born Saltfleet 1848/1846
possibly married 1867 per Brantford*

Rose Brabigan HUDDLESTON
born Saltfleet 1846/1849
Not married by 1871 Census but then living in St Andrews Ward, Toronto West

* per Brantford means that there is a reference in A History of
Brantford 1867-1967 by Goerge Oliver that could be this event. BUT see
other post on this (apparently non-existent) publication

--
Stuart Cresswell
www.threlkeld.org.uk

This thread: