CANADA-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > CANADA-OBITS > 2005-06 > 1119903918

From: Dennice Goudie <>
Subject: Vancouver Sun & The Province; June 27, 2005
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:25:18 -0700

Vancouver Sun & The Province Monday, June 27, 2005 canada.com

Obituaries and Guest Books for 6/27/2005

Agecoutay, Kitty
AGECOUTAY _ Kitty. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of
our dear Mother, Kitty Agecoutay. Cecil, Wanda, Faron, Bonnie, Jessie,
Ferlin, Lover, Jayenell, Leon and Candy, their partners and grandchildren
invite you to celebrate Kitty's life on Wednesday, June 29th at 1pm at
Hamilton-Harron Funeral Centre, 5390 Fraser Street, Vancouver.
Published in The Province on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Athey, Lena
ATHEY _ Lena on Tuesday June 21, 2005. Lena Athey passed away at the age of
86. Lena is survived by her son Walter (Lesley) Gibbs, brothers Walter,
Victor (Anne), David (Elsie), sisters Rosalind (Bob), Nancy, Shelley (Tom)
and several nieces and nephews. She is predeceased by husbands, Ivan Gibbs
and Tom Athey, 3 brothers and 3 sisters. Lena was a member of the Branch #60
Ladies Aux, for 18 years. She worked at Troll's restaurant for 20 years and
BC Ferries for 18 years. Special thanks to Rick, Joy, Cathy and Octavio. No
service by request. Donations can be made to the Alzheimer's Society in
Lena's memory. Hollyburn Funeral Home 604-922-1221
Published in The Province from 6/24/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Fogliato, Primo (Memoriam)
FOGLIATO, PRIMO _ June 27, 2002 Already 3 years have passed and it only
seems like yesterday since you left us. You are in our thoughts everyday. _
Love your wife, children and grandchildren The grandchildren miss your great
stories.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Fontaine, Louis
FONTAINE _ Louis born August 28, 1921, peacefully passed away on June 23,
2005. Predeceased by his wife Rose in 1996. Survived by his sons Ron
(Louise), Dave (Wendy), grandchildren Dan (Stephanie), Michelle (Simon),
Denise, and Christy (Matt). Also survived by his sister Irene, brothers
Ernie, Sam, Tony, their families, and many more relatives and friends. There
will be no service by request. A gathering at the family's home will take
place. The family would like to thank Dr. Baker and all the staff at
Richmond General Hospital. No flowers. Louis proudly served in World War II,
and if you wish, donations may be made to the B.C./Yukon Poppy Fund, 3026
Arbutus Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6J 4P7
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 6/24/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Gropper, Naomi Laura (Steiner)
GROPPER _ (Steiner) Naomi Laura born October 3, 1970, passed away peacefully
on June 23, 2005 surrounded by her family. Despite being diagnosed with a
brain tumor almost a year ago, Naomi continued to live her life to the
fullest. She continued to have hope, and continued to give to, and draw
strength from, an enormous group of family and friends. Naomi is survived by
her husband, Daniel Steiner, her four year old son Benjamin and one year old
daughter, Bella, her parents Arlene Gladstone and Hamish Cameron and
Mitchell and Lynne Gropper, her grandmother, Zoe Gropper, brothers Daniel
Gropper (Tamara), Aaron Gropper, Ross Cameron, Hamish Cameron (Patricia),
Grant Cameron and Dory Cameron (Gordon) and Daniel's parents, Norma and
George Steiner, as well as many aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins.
The family thanks Drs. Brian Thiessen, Michael McKenzie, Warren Mason,
Beverly Spring, Keith Hatlelid and Lori MacFarlane, as well as the caring
nurses and staff of the BC Cancer Agency and the Palliative Care Ward at
Vancouver General Hospital, for their support and guidance. Naomi lived a
full, but short life. She studied at Vancouver Talmud Torah and Magee High
School. At 16, she travelled to France to attend school there. Her
university education was at McGill (BA, 1990), Hebrew University of
Jerusalem (1989) and University of Toronto (MBA, 1998) where she was her
class president. From 1994 to 1996, she worked, first as a volunteer, and
then as a manager, at The United Way of Greater Vancouver. From 1988 to
2001, she worked as a management consultant with AT Kearney, dividing her
time between her home with Daniel in Toronto and cities across North
America, including New York where she and Daniel lived from 2000 to 2002. In
2002, Naomi and Daniel returned to Vancouver, where Naomi worked with Arts
Umbrella where she was instrumental in the establishment of the endowment
fund in honor of Carol Henriquez. Naomi was also active in the community, as
a board member of the Jewish Family Service Agency of Vancouver and co-chair
of its "Innovators Lunch" held in April 2004, and co-chair of the Ben Gurion
Society and of the Family Day of the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver.
Family and friends were central to Naomi's life. She had the ability to
touch each of them all of the time. Her children bear the indelible stamp of
her love. She will be missed and remembered by many. Funeral services will
be held at Temple Sholom in Vancouver at 7190 Oak Street on Sunday, June 26,
2005 at 10:00 a.m. with the burial to follow at Temple Sholom's cemetery in
White Rock. (Shiva arrangements will be announced at the funeral). In lieu
of flowers, the family would appreciate donations to the Naomi Fund at the
Jewish Family Service Agency. The Naomi Fund will support families and
individuals facing medical crisis in our community, who are not fortunate
enough to have a group of family and friends such as those who were
available to provide strength to Naomi. Please contact JSFA in Vancouver at
604-257 5151 or by mail to 305-1985 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC, V6J 4Y3
for further information.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 6/25/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Hardwick, Dr. Walter G. (Memoriam)
DR. WALTER G. HARDWICK May 3, 1932 - June 9, 2005 Please join us for A
Celebration of His Life & Contributions 3:00 p.m. - June 28, 2005 Chan
Centre for the Performing Arts, UBC
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 6/25/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Isert, Rose (Lemp)
ISERT _ Rose (nee Lemp) on June 21, 2005, at the Peace Arch Hospital, White
Rock, BC, left us on the wings of an angel at the age of 98. Preceded by her
husband Paul. She will be dearly missed by her sister Betty Darnell,
sister-in-law Doris Isert, many nieces and nephews and many friends. Rose
worked at the Hudson's Bay company for 23 years. Her ashes will be taken to
Dewberry AB where a private memorial will be held at a later date. In lieu
of flowers, donations to the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC
would be appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Larochelle, Margaret Joan
LAROCHELLE _ Margaret Joan, age 53. Born August 2, 1951 and passed away
suddenly June 16, 2005. She is predeceased by her parents Albert and Joan
and will be lovingly missed by her sister Denise (Gord) Paterson and brother
James, nieces Krista (Steve) Berwick and Ashley Paterson, nephew David (Kim)
LeClair, great-nieces Emma and Halle and many friends and family. Funeral
Mass will be held at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, 8842 -
119th Street, Delta, BC on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 at 12:00 noon.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Lawson, James (Memoriam)
Photo
JAMES LAWSON June 27th, 1920 - March 2nd, 2005 My Darling Jimmy, today would
be your 85th birthday. The happy plans we had to celebrate this day are now
just an ache in our hearts. We bless the day you were born and the love and
happiness you gave each of us. "Jim's Kids", that I proudly call my kids,
are all-unselfish, loving, caring individuals, reflecting the fine,
dedicated parents that raised them. Rick, David, Sharon and Shirley and
their families live your ideals. Each day, we help each other to endure the
pain of having to part with you, our very precious Jim. My broken heart,
bereft of mirth is profoundly grateful for the day of your birth. Soon, I'll
be with you. We'll continue our romance. I'll feel your loving arms around
me and, once again, we'll dance. Till then, my cherished memories will keep
you close to me. Decima
Published in the Vancouver Sun on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Lewis, Jack Bowen
LEWIS - Jack Bowen. Born November 27, 1919, passed away peacefully on June
24, 2005. Survived by his loving wife of 61 years Nives, niece Catherine
Vernon, nephew Michael Pistor, sister-in-law Edith Pistor, and many cousins.
Born in Toronto, Jack lived most of his life in Vancouver with an interval
in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Jack served proudly with the RCAF from 1936 to
1949. He subsequently had a lengthy career in the American Rail
Transportation industry from 1950 to 1985. He was a member of the Royal
Canadian Legion #148, the A.S.T. & T., The Vancouver Transportation Club,
and the Vancovuer Golf Club. Jack will be deeply mourned and sadly missed by
all his family and friends. The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated
at 10:00 am Wednesday, June 29, at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church 525
S. Slocan Street, Vancouver. Fathers of St. Charles & Father Francis Chang
concelebrants. Interment will be held at a later date at Mountain View
Cemetery, Vancouver. In lieu of flowers, donations made to the BC
Parkinson's Association would be appreciated. Bell Funeral Chapel
604-253-4554
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Madigan, Francis William Alfred
Photo
MADIGAN _ Francis William Alfred, born May 20, 1953 in Oakville, Ontario,
sadly passed away suddenly at his home in Merritt, BC. on June 20th, 2005.
Frank was the beloved only son of Margaret and the late John Wm. Madigan of
Merritt, BC. He is survived and sadly missed by his children John, Ryan,
Shelly and George, Tammy, Christopher, Jeremy and Frankie, also his many
grandchildren that he loved very much. He was a fun loving man, whose family
was very important to him. He drove tractor trailers for many years and
miles. Many friends he had wherever he was. His health started failing so he
had to come off his highway - to something light, whatever he could get - it
wasn't easy but you never heard a word of complaint. Always a smile, always
willing to help wherever he could. His health steadily getting worse, he had
a few months of happiness this spring but God saw fit to call him home to
free him of all pain and disease. He is at peace now. We will miss him so
very much but he is resting for now. In lieu of flowers, donations may be
made to the Heart & Stroke or Diabetic Foundations. Viewing from 10 am-1 pm;
funeral service from 1 pm-2 pm Tuesday, Jun 28th at Valley View Funeral
Home, 14660-72nd Ave., Surrey, BC. There will be 1 hour after service for
tea and coffee.
Published in The Province from 6/26/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

Reiter, Charles Walter (Memoriam)
REITER _ Charles Walter September 7, 1928 to June 24, 2005. When I was in
your arms, Dad, or held your hand, I was brave. When I made a tackle or a
nice pass while you watched, I was proud. As you watched me take my marriage
vows, I felt honoured. Watching you play with your grandkids, I felt
fulfilled. With you gone, I now feel lost and alone. I know in time my pain
will lessen. I love you Dad. -Forever missed, your loving son Curtis.
Published in The Province on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Scott, Hunter M. (Memoriam)
IN LOVING MEMORY OF HUNTER M. SCOTT 1936 - 1998 He is truly missed by all
his family. They will never forget him. Including 2 great-grandchildren who
never got the pleasure to meet him. You are missed. _ Love May, Lorraine,
Vanessa, Tyler and family.
Published in The Province on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Smith, Irene P. (Memoriam)
IRENE P. SMITH In loving memory of our dear Mother, Grandmother and
Great-Grandmother who passed away on June 27th, 1990. Sunshine passes,
shadows fall Love's remembrance outlasts all _ Always in our hearts,
Dorothy, Betty, Carol, (Beverly deceased) and their families.
Published in the Vancouver Sun on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Sutton, Iris E.
SUTTON _ Iris E. (nee Ewen) April 26, 1919 to June 17, 2005. Born in
Medicine Hat, Alberta. Predeceased by her husband William, October 15, 1975,
sister Dorothy, brothers Cliff and Hume. Survived by her loving family,
daughter Jo-Ann (Doug), granddaughters Taylor Dawn and Danica Nicole and
their special friends Kayla and Brooke, step-daughter Sylvia and family,
sister Joanne (Don), sister-in-law Shirley (Calgary), Mary (Penticton) and
numerous nieces, nephews, relatives and friends. Iris was a volunteer for BC
Women's Hospital for 30 years. We wish to thank the very special people at
Crofton Manor for their support, kindness and caring. Special thanks to
wonderful friends Louanne Sherwin, Ann Zanailo and Bill Mason (Cathy) and
niece Wendy Hall. Special thanks to Dr. Charles Webb and Dr. Marilyn Malone
and all the wonderful staff at UBC Hospital. No funeral by request. A
private gathering for the interment of her remains at Ocean View Cemetery,
will be scheduled later. In lieu of flowers, donations to the ALS Society,
604-685-0737 or Katie's Place 604-463-8761 would be appreciated. She was
courageous and had a sense of humour until the end (and the best Nana in the
world).
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 6/24/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Touhey, Karin Helen Mary (Vander Helm)
TOUHEY _ Karin Helen Mary (nee Vander Helm), age 49 years, passed away with
her family at her side on June 23, 2005. She will be lovingly remembered by
her husband Jack and two children, Steven and Michelle, mother Joan, her
beloved cocker spaniel Kobe, brothers Peter and Brian, as well as an
extensive extended family. The family would like to extend their thanks to
the staff at LGH Palliative Care Ward, Dr. Stephen Chia and the staff of the
BC Cancer Agency for all their care. No public service will be held. In lieu
of flowers, donations in Karin's memory would be graciously accepted to the
Breast Cancer Clinical Research Fund, 200 601 W. Broadway, Vancouver, B.C.,
V5Z 4C2 Hollyburn Funeral Home 604-922-1221
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 6/25/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Uhrynchuk, John
UHRYNCHUK _ John. Born February 19, 1925 in Alix, Alberta. Passed away
peacefully June 18, 2005 after a lengthy battle with cancer. Predeceased by
one week by his wife Kathy of 62 years. He will be greatly missed by his
daughter Pam (Bob), brothers George and Peter (Betty), sisters Anne (Jim)
and Vicky (Bert). John served with the Merchant Marines during World War II
and spent several years abroad. He spent many years working for Vancouver
Tug and Seaspan as a Master Mariner. Many thanks to the staff at St.
Michael's Centre Hospice for their kind and gentle care of John and Kathy. A
Memorial Service for both John and Kathy will be held at West Burnaby United
Church, 6050 Sussex, Burnaby on Friday, July 8, 2005 at 12 noon with a tea
to follow. In lieu of flowers, donations to BC Cancer Foundation or St.
Michael's Centre Hospice would be greatly appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun from 6/24/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Warren, Harold Emile
Photo
WARREN _ Harold Emile. A Port Alberni pioneer, Harold Warren was born in the
family home 91 years ago on July 18, 1914. He descended from a uniquely
Canadian union of a veteran of the 1759 Battle of the Plains of Abraham,
Captain William Warren and a French Canadian woman, Jane Warren. A seventh
generation Canadian, Harold spent virtually his entire life in Port Alberni
where he distinguished himself first as a brilliant student, and
subsequently, as an entrepreneur. Graduating from school at the dawn of the
Great Depression, he was prohibited from pursuing higher education, but
rather, went into business. His investments prospered. By 1955, he had
established a chain of 6 movie theatres on Vancouver Island (Warren Theatres
Ltd.), he founded CJAV Radio station in 1946 and in 1962, he became owner
and oversaw the expansion of Alberni Cable Television Ltd. He sold his last
business in 1986, effectively retiring at age 72. Along the way he was a
member of the Port Alberni Chamber of Commerce, and was a founder and the
first president of the local Kinsmen Club. Harold's health deteriorated
after the 2002 death of his best friend, and beloved wife of 64 years, Dolly
M. Work. He had lost his joie de vie. He gradually became weaker, finally
passing away peacefully at the West Coast General Hospital on June 22, 2005.
Harold was extremely proud of, and is survived by his children, Dr. Linda
Warren Burhenne, and Dr. Richard Warren, his daughter-in-law, Dr. Betty
Warren, all of Vancouver, and his grandchildren, Dallas Warren (Princeton
University), and Alexander Warren (St. Georges School). Harold Warren was an
intellectual giant who was blessed with a prodigious memory, the capacity
for abstract thought and a life long desire to learn. He enjoyed quoting the
literary greats, but was equally comfortable with the complexities of
Telecommunication Engineering. He believed in self sufficiency, in providing
security for his family, and in charting his own course, often the "road
less travelled". He was one of a kind. A Memorial Service and Celebration of
Life will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 2nd at Trinity Anglican
Church in Port Alberni. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the
Church at 4766 Angus Street, V9Y 1S9. Chapel of Memories entrusted with
arrangements. Phone 250-723-3633.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 6/25/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

Welman, Paul Henry Fitzpatrick
WELMAN _ Paul Henry Fitzpatrick. Paul passed away peacefully at the Royal
Arch Masonic Home, Vancouver June 23, 2005. He is survived by his sons
Christopher (Mairi), Mark (Debbie) of Vancouver, daughter Clare (Vladimir)
Agapeyev and two grandsons Misha and Vanya Agapeyev of Anmore, sisters Jane
Godman, Prue Scratton and Peg Welman, and their families in England, and his
former wife of 30 years Elizabeth Oakley of Kamloops. Paul was born in
Truro, England, April 12, 1935 and grew up at Trewarthenick in Cornwall.e
attended Downside Public School, near Bath in Somerset, and was a member of
the British Army Royal Signals Regiment in Cyprus 1953-1955. Paul and
Elizabeth married in 1960 and moved their family to Vancouver in 1971. Paul
worked in the Vancouver office of BritRail Travel, later finishing his
career with Canadian Holidays.e had a love of both rugby and cricket, and
enjoyed listening to classical music, going for walks, CBC Radio Two, crazy
cravats and a good rare roasted-lamb dinner. In his latter years, Paul
suffered from Alzheimers disease and was cared for by the outstanding staff
at The Royal Arch Masonic Home in Champlain Heights.he family extends their
deep and heartfelt gratitude to Dr. L. A. Levy, Dr. L. Bennett and Dr.
Sheldon and the wonderful nurses, social workers, care aides and activity
staff at Royal Arch, all of whom made Paul's end of life journey so very
comfortable and safe. A graveside service followed by internment will take
pl ace at the Gardens of Gethsemani in Surrey, B.C. at 11 am, Wednesday,
June 29. In lieu of flowers, please donate to the Alzheimer's Society of
British Columbia or the Royal Arch Masonic Home, two organizations without
which so many families would find themselves unable to manage.
Published in the Vancouver Sun on 6/27/2005.
Guest Book

White, Lyman Clifford
WHITE _ Lyman Clifford passed away peacefully on June 23, 2005, in Surrey at
the age of 81 years. He is predeceased by his sister Pearl Lowton, and is
survived by his loving wife, Lee, of sixty years, daughters, Valerie (John),
Vonnie (Brian), sons, Ralph (Sandy), and Randy (Kathrine), four
grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, and many nieces, nephews and good
friends. He loved buying cars, fishing and golfing during his retirement of
thirty-one years following continued employment at Western Canada Steel. He
was a WWII navy veteran. Celebration of Cliff's life will take place on
Thursday, June 30th, 2005 at 10:30 a.m. at the Arbor Chapel of Valley View
Funeral Home, 14660 - 72nd Avenue, Surrey, BC.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and The Province from 6/25/2005 - 6/27/2005.
Guest Book . Funeral home info

This thread: