CANADA-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > CANADA-OBITS > 2008-10 > 1224825772

From: "Dennice Goudie" <>
Subject: [CANADA-OBITS] Vancouver Sun and/or The Province; June 27, 2008
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:22:52 -0700

Vancouver Sun and/or The Province; June 27, 2008
remembering.ca > Vancouver home

Obituaries and Guest Books for 6/27/2008
Page 1 of 1 (44 total results)

ACHIAM Joaquim Born May 26, 1916 in Mabuto, (previously Lorenc?o Marques - a
Portuguese colony) Mosembique, South Africa passed away peacefully at home
in Burnaby. He was the fourth son of the eight children in the family.
Predeceased by his brothers and sisters; his sons Joa~o C. (John) and
Francisco, daughter Fernada. He is survived by his wife, Wong Sok Kei, in
Macau. He will be lovingly remembered by his children, Leolinda, Jose?
Martins, Cecilia; grandchildren Jose? Manuel, Maria Anabella, Jose? Luis,
Marianna and Steffa Ufnel; great grandson Andre?. Sadly missed by his
brother Mario and wife Theresa (Denmark), sister Isabel (H.K.). Nephews and
nieces, grand nephews and grand nieces as well as great grand nephews and
nieces residing in Toronto, Vancouver, Australia, Denmark, Madeira,
Portugal, U.K. and H.K. Both vigil prayers held on Sunday, June 29, 2008,
5:00 p.m. and funeral mass held on Monday, June 30, 2008, 11:00 a.m. will be
at Holy Cross Catholic Church, 1450 Delta Avenue, Burnaby. Burial at Gardens
of Gethsemani, Surrey. In lieu of flowers, please make donation to the Heart
& Stroke Foundation. Kearney Funeral Services (604) 736-0268
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/29/2008.

APOSTAL Aristi June 25,1912 - June 23, 2008. It is with great sorrow we
announce the passing of our dear mother, grandmother and great-grandmother
Aristi Apostal. Aristi was born in Apolloniada, Asia Minor, moved to Greece
in 1922 and immigrated to Canada in 1961. Left to cherish her memory are her
beloved son Steve, her daughter-in-law Helen, her granddaughters
Aristi-Despina and Joanna and their husbands Constantine and Panos.
Great-grandchildren Jeramy, Stavros, Eleni, Akylas and Eleni. Our mother,
grandmother and great-grandmother will be sadly missed but she will live
forever in our thoughts and our hearts. Prayers will be held on Thursday,
June 26th, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. at St. George's Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 4500
Arbutus Street, Vancouver, where a funeral service will be held on Friday,
June 27th at 12:00 p.m. Reverend Demetrios Partsafas officiating. Burial to
follow at Forest Lawn Cemetery, Burnaby. Condolences and tributes may be
sent to the family by visiting www.MeM.com
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/27/2008.

BARAN Richard Michael August 2, 1962 - June 13, 2008 He was my North, my
South, my East and West. My working week, my Sunday rest. My noon, my
midnight, my talk, my song. Love that would last forever; I was wrong. We
feel the presence of your absence, and when we count our blessings, we count
you twice. Celebration of Rick's Life Sunday, July 6, 3:00 - 8:00 p.m. West
Langley Hall, Langley, BC. Casual dress. No flowers please. Donations to the
Canadian Diabetes Association.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Luc Bourdon is dead.Bourdon, 21, was killed in
a motorcycle accident near his home in Shippagan, N.B., on Thursday morning,
May 29.Bourdon was the Canucks' first-round draft choice, 10th overall, in
2005, after playing his junior career with Val-d'Or of the Quebec Major
Junior Hockey League.Bourdon returned to junior after a promising Canucks
training camp Ñ nearly making the team as an 18-year-old Ñ but injury
limited his playing time between Val d'Or and the Mocton Wildcats, to whom
he was traded that season.Bourdon played his first nine NHL games the
following season with the Canucks, then returned to the Canucks for 27 games
in 2007-08, scoring a pair of goals and showing the poise that had been
promised since his heralded draft three years earlier.Bourdon faced a lot of
criticism as he was slow to develop as a pro. But in late February, he
addressed that criticism."Back home they think I'm washed [up] already,"
Bourdon told The Province's Ben Kuzma. "It's true."They don't understand why
I'm not playing in the NHL [full-time] becauseI've been around for four
years now."The first year I was pretty close and they thought I was supposed
to be inthe NHL the next year. It didn't work out so they pretty much
thought I wasdone."Canucks assistant coach Rick Bowness responded: "You've
got to mature off the ice before you can mature on the ice. The way he's
handling himself, he's far more comfortable. He's growing up."I know his
background and I know how we grow up in the Maritimes. We don't care how
much money you have or what you do for a living."It's irrelevant. We care
more about what type of person you are."

BOYD Rev. Leo Alexander, O.M.I. Passed away on June 22, 2008 at Jubilee
Hospital in Vernon, BC. He was born October 14, 1925 in Blaine Lake, SK and
Ordained to the priesthood in the Congregation of the Missionary Oblates of
Mary Immaculate, June 11, 1953 in Battleford, SK. He is survived by two
brothers, Rev. Ian Boyd, csb of Seton Hall, So Orange, NJ, and Dr. Mark Boyd
(Lise) of Montreal, two sisters, Betty Boyd of Edmonton, AB and Mary Dantzer
of Vernon, BC and many nieces and nephews. He is predeceased by two
brothers, Dr. Angus Boyd and Dr. Donald Boyd. Services: St. Joseph's Church,
3335 Patterson St., Armstrong, BC. Prayers on Tuesday, June 24th at 7:00 pm;
Funeral Mass - Wednesday, June 25th at 11:00 am. Reception follows. St.
Augustine's Church, 2028 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver, BC. Prayers on Sunday,
June 29th at 7:30 pm; Mass of Christian Burial - Monday, June 30th at 11:00
am. Reception follows. Interment at the Oblate Cemetery in Mission, BC.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

BRANDSON James Einar Born 18 January 1928 in Victoria, BC, passed away
suddenly 22 June 2008, leaves wife of 54 years, Elizabeth, son Christopher
(Ellen) and daughter Caroline (Todd), and grandchildren Kira and Niko. He
will also be remembered by sisters Ivy and Kay, brother William, their
families and many friends. Although a quiet man, he was known for his dry
sense of humour that could make anyone laugh. An avid gardener, his gardens
in Vancouver, West Vancouver and Bowen Island were admired by many. He was
involved in the legal services profession for many years in Vancouver and
New Westminster. He will be missed by many. A service will be held at 1:00
PM Saturday 28 June at St. James Anglican Church, 303 E. Cordova Street,
Vancouver. In lieu of flowers, donations to Juvenile Diabetes Research
Foundation (JDRF) would be greatly appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/25/2008 -
6/30/2008.

BURROWS Raymond 72, of Tulameen, B.C., formerly of North Vancouver, passed
away quietly at Princeton Hospital on June 18, 2008. Born in Burnaby, Ray
also lived in White Rock, enjoying his high school years at Semiahmoo High
with good friends. He particularly loved swimming, basketball, and later,
driving his Austin-Healey Sprite and spending time at Westwood Racing
Circuit. He was a keen supporter of his sons' soccer and basketball teams,
proud of their accomplishments, and provided unconditional love and generous
support. For many years Ray managed the Vancouver branch of Anthony Foster &
Sons wholesale firm, before retreating to his cabin at Tulameen, where he
shared quiet years of retirement with his dog Kokanee and cats Hobbes and
Cass. Ray is tenderly remembered by his family, sons Jeff (Franziska),
Chris, their mom Jeannine, grandchildren Helena and Lucas, siblings Syd
(Bev), Doreen, Bunny, June (Don) and Jean (Jack), and many nieces and
nephews. All will miss his delightful sense of humour. He was predeceased by
his siblings Ethel, Ron, and Elvin. Thank you to Dr. Adams, the staff of
Princeton Hospital, and especially Community Nurse Gail Smart for her
terrific care and compassion. Friends and family will meet to share memories
at Cheers Restaurant, 125 E. 2nd St. in North Vancouver, on July 10, 2008 at
1 pm.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/28/2008.

(Memoriam)
WILFRED (JOE) HILTON COSTAIN November 4, 1922 - June 27, 2006 Those whom we
love go out of sight, But never out of mind; They are cherished in the
hearts Of those they leave behind Love from all of your family
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

CROWE June Rose (Wallden) July 3 1924 - June 22, 2008 On June 22, 2008 at
the
age of 83 Mom passed into the presence of the Lord surrounded by her family.
Predeceased by her husband and life long companion of 60 years Art Crowe ,
as well as her brothers - Harold, Gordon & Barry Wallden. Dearly loved and
sadly missed by her two sons Barton (Sandra) Rod (Linda) Crowe and daughter
Rory (Ron) Caldwell. Grandchildren Gregory and Jeffrey Crowe, Heather
Crowe-Bohay, Rhonda Laszlo, Great-grandchildren Trevor, Alisha, Zachary,
Aidan, Sienna and Daylan, Brothers Basil, Donald and Gerry (Nancy) Wallden.
Sister Mavis Furgason, many nieces and nephews, good friends and great
neighbours. Mom was a long time Woodwards/Safeway employee of the bakery
dept. Mom and Dad lived in Vancouver for 45 years before moving to Maple
Ridge in 1994. A celebration of Mom's life will be held August 23, 2008 at
11:00 a.m. Garden Hill Funeral Chapel 11765-224th Street Maple Ridge BC V2X
6X5. Phone 604-463-8161. In lieu of flowers, donations in memory to the
Ridge Meadows Hospital Foundation, or charity of your choice. Our family
wishes to express our appreciation and thanks to everyone for their sympathy
and support at this time of loss. Expressions of sympathy can be made at
www.gardenhill.ca
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

DILWYN "WYN" L. DAVIES Born 1931 in Gilfach Goch, South Wales. Predeceased
for many years by loving parents, Elspeth and Sydney Davies. Survived by
daughter Gillian (Christian) of Texas, son Patrick (Lorie) of Surrey and
nephew Mark (Janice) of Ottawa. Also by sister Eirwen Calden and her
daughter Ceri of San Francisco, and his brother Granville "Glan" (Cynthia)
of Bedford, England, with their sons Richard and Greg. Wyn was extremely
talented in music and art as a young man in Wales - active in school and
church and choral work. He attended College and Art University in England
and was always eager to learn new things and explore new experiences. This
led him to emigrate to Canada where he met and married Gay Treleaven,
raising their family in the Comox Valley and completing Bachelor and Master
of Education degrees at U.B.C. He became a well-known Art Educator, in B.C.
and beyond. He will be remembered as being a force in children's art
education, and for co-ordinating the children-manufactured Habitat pavilion
in Vancouver 1976 and being a judge for the Expo 86 Children's Art exhibit.
Wyn was proud to be a long-time member of the Board of the Emily Carr
Institute of Art & Design. Wyn was the president of the B.C. Art Teachers
Association, and the Canadian Society for Education Through Art. He was also
a guest lecturer at numerous colleges and universities. After his retirement
in 1991, he was the director of the Polaroid Education Program. He was an
avid gardener - loving to both design and work in his garden and also found
great joy in classical music. He was also widely travelled, visiting Europe,
the Middle East, and Asia. He had an infectious sense of humour. Please join
us at a memorial for Wyn at the Columbia-Bowell Funeral Chapel at 219-6th
Street, New Westminster B.C. on July 15th, 2008 at 2pm.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

DOW Max Passed away peacefully on June 24, 2008, late of Langley, aged 81.
Predeceased by son Randy and daughter Wendy. Survived by a loving family,
his wife Blanche; son Rick; daughter Cindy; and stepsons Bruce and Barry;
numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and by his sister Isabel and
other relatives and friends. A memorial service will be held Wednesday, July
2nd at 1:00 PM at 12319 - 77A Ave, Surrey.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/28/2008.

FIDLER Deanna Mae (Nee Peterson) It is with great sorrow that we announce
the passing of our beloved wife, mother, grandmother, sister and friend, on
Sunday, June 22, 2008. Deanna was born in Throne, Alberta, a former resident
of Prince Rupert, Aldergrove and lastly, a resident of Abbotsford for 21
years, with her loving husband David. She is survived by her children, Brad
Nickerson, Colin Nickerson, Kerry (Wayne ) Mack and Kent Nickerson; her
step-children, Lisa (Cam) Selbie and Michael Fidler; her grandchildren,
Christopher, Sean, Geoffrey, Shelby, Tristan, Dallas, Allegra, Lindsey,
Sarah, Brett and Carissa. She leaves, also, her sister Joyce (Elmer) Ritz,
of Trail, B.C. Deanna was loved deeply by her family and friends - 67 years
should have only been the beginning. Gramma, your legacy and memory will
live on. You taught us, above all, how to love. A Celebration of Life will
be held on July 2, 2008, at 1:00 p.m., at the Cascade Community Church,
35190 Delair Rd, in Abbotsford, with Rev. Lynda Richardson officiating. A
reception will follow the service, at the Rancho, on Delair Rd. For those
desiring, donations made in Deanna's memory to the Canadian Cancer Society
would be most appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/28/2008.

FRANSEN Blaine Howard Died suddenly June 24, 2008 at his favourite place,
his home in Pender Harbour. His love of life and people will be dearly
missed by his wife Joan, his children Jocelyn and Lucas, and by his many
relatives and friends.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

GIRARD Jerome (Jerry) Joseph Born June 26, 1948 in Windsor, Ontario, passed
away June 17, 2008, was a long-time resident of Surrey, BC. He is survived
by his wife Judy, brothers Ernie (Yvonne) Girard of Burnaby, Leo Girard,
Marvin (Pamela) Girard and Philip Girard, sisters Florence Anderson, Agnes
Gambeta of Chatham, Jeannette (Ben) Doten of Florida, Dorothy (Don) Lessard,

Rose Chaly and Patsy McIay, plus other family and friends. There will be no
Service. Interment will take place at Boundary Bay Cemetery, Delta, BC.
Donations may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society in Jerry's memory.
Delta Funeral Home (604) 946-6040
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/27/2008.

Lawrence Parker Gordon April 12, 1947 - June, 23, 2008 It is with great
sadness that we announce the sudden death of our beloved Larry on June 23,
2008. Larry's charm, compassion, generosity and enthusiasm touched the lives
of many friends and family. Larry loved his wife Janet and was an incredible
father and grandfather. Larry lived his life in Prince Rupert for 60 years.
Throughout his life Larry was a great athlete who excelled at basketball,
baseball, curling & especially golf, which he pursued with a passion for
most of his life. Larry is survived by his wife, Janet, son Jason and his
wife Jeanne, daughter Stephanie and her husband Chris, brother Byron, sister
Tanis, grandchildren Lucy, Jack, Jane and Alexa and a large extended family
of in-laws, nieces and nephews. Larry felt his life was so enriched by a
wonderful group of loyal and cherished friends. Larry's great spirit has
inspired his children and we see his joy and zest for life reflected in the
smiles of his grandchildren who will miss him dearly. Even though it was far
too short, we are grateful for the time we had. Please join us in
celebrating Larry's amazing life at 2:30 pm, Sunday, June 29 at the Prince
Rupert Golf Course.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/29/2008.

(Memoriam)
Emma Guild 1996 - 2007 You are forever in my heart Love Lisa
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

HARDWICKE William David Bill passed away peacefully in Surrey on June 21,
2008, at the age of 92. He had a long and interesting life; he served with
the RCAF in WW 2, and his working career included many years with Woodwards
Stores, and culminated as a real estate appraiser in his own business. He
was predeceased by his wife Leona, 2006, stepdaughter Donna, 1997, and his
first wife, Winnie Hardwicke, 1966. He is survived by son Ron Hardwicke
(Linda) and his step-son Don Camley (Cathy). He is also survived by three
granddaughters and three grandsons: Robin McNaughton (Richard), Yvonne Santa
Cruz (Jeremy) and Alison Vehkasalmi (Allan); Lance Camley, Dane Camley and
Bruce Sheaves (Michele). Bill is also survived by three great-grandsons,
Andrew and Mathew McNaughton, and Orion Sheaves; also several nieces and
nephews. Many thanks to the Kinsmen Place Lodge, and Dr. R. Singhai. A
memorial service will be held at Fraser Heights Funeral Home, 14835 Fraser
Hwy., Surrey on Monday, June 30, 2008, 2 PM. In lieu of flowers, a donation
in his name my be made to a charity of your choice.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

HARVEY Terry February 6, 1933 - June 17, 2008 With great sadness we announce
the unexpected passing of a wonderful man, admired, loved and respected by
many. Lovingly remembered by his wife and soul mate of 48 years, Carolynn;
daughter Kathleen (Rob); son Sean; granddaughter Kayla and grandson
Nicholas; sisters-in-law Elaine (Mark) and Diane (Lawrie); many nieces and
nephews. Terry started his working career early at Collingwood Hardware
where, as though destined, he met Carolynn and vowed to one day own a large
hardware store. Instead he started a long and very successful career in the
chemical coatings industry. After 25 years with Sherwin Williams, he joined
Innovative Manufacturing Wood Coatings Division where, despite a few false
attempts at retiring, he worked until his final day. He was born and raised
in East Vancouver, raised his family in North Burnaby and spent the last 18
years in North Vancouver's Edgemont Village. Terry loved lifeÇmorning walks
with his precious dog Lizbeth, good wine, good music, and enjoying time with
his family, many friends and business associates. The family wishes to
express its thanks to Dr. Donald Krause, (now retired) for always being
there for Terry and the Harvey family for over 35 years. To Dr. Ronald
Carere and the staff of the Heart Centre at St. Paul's Hospital, thank you
for the care, dedication and compassion extended to Terry. In lieu of
flowers, donations to the Heart & Stroke Foundation would be appreciated. A
celebration of Terry's life will be held at 1 pm on Sunday, July 6, 2008 at
the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club, 3811 Point Grey Road, Vancouver BC.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/22/2008 -
6/28/2008.

HEADLAND DOROTHY It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our Mum and
Nana, Dorothy Headland (nee Shea). She was born in Winnipeg on June 3, 1922,
the youngest of 14 children, and passed away peacefully on June 22, 2008.
Dorothy had an endearing personality, she was loved by many and was often
referred to as "a character". She loved her children and her grandchildren
and her family was her life. Dorothy was predeceased by her loving husband
of 53 years, Bill. She is survived by her children Brian (Linda), Laurie
(Gord), Glenna (John). Also by her many grandchildren Andrew (Michelle),
Sean (Krista), Rebecca (Troy), Amanda, Dustin (Kim), Brianne, Kimberly and
Michaela. Also by one great-grandchild, Joshua. The family wishes to thank
the staff at Fair Haven for their love and attention to Mum. A celebration
of Dorothy's life will be held Friday, June 27 at 4383 Rumble St. at Sussex,
Burnaby. God bless you, Mum. Go slow.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/27/2008.

HEMSWORTH Eileen (nee Beaton) August 21, 1911 _June 15, 2008 Eileen was born
at home in Kitsilano and she and her sisters `owned the day' in their youth,
from May until September, running free on the wide sand beach from early
morning until dusk with their towels, tennis shoes and the wild, untroubled
spirit of sisterhood and early friendship. Later, at 14 years of age, in
1925, she was taken from school to nurse her beloved mother, Ida Daisy,
until her death a few days before Eileen's 16th birthday. The grief of her
mother's early death never left her and it defined her inner heart until the
last moments of her long life. Although a gifted and committed student
Eileen had no opportunity to return to school or university after her
mother's death and she entered the work force in the brokerage industry,
both her father's and future father-in-law's business, a few short years
before the market crash of 1929. The spirit of her age was to have the
`candle burn at both ends' and so she did until she was diagnosed with
tuberculosis at 21 shortly after her marriage to Harold Hemsworth, a
childhood friend, in 1932. During the next year in Tranquille Sanitorium in
Kamloops she learned the great life skill of living within each day, letting
go, at least during crisis, of yesterday and tomorrow. Eileen brought all
the force of her nature and talents to her family, creating to the best of
her imagination a passionately tended little realm, an island of order,
humor, lively discourse and personal style. She was a spirited critic, a
fine cook who could stretch the Sunday roast out all week and make it look
good, a lover of green fairways and a good golf swing, an excellent bridge
player, a ruthless cribbage player _ defeating skilled challengers until
days before her death, a wide and considered reader of good literature and a
woman who believed in the value of holding your head high in the crush of
any circumstance. She had courage, style, enormous generosity, and a
disarming wit that foiled opponents, disarmed strangers and charmed friends.
Eileen gave her life to her family and she will always be remembered and
cherished by her beloved children, her son Barry Hemsworth, and her daughter
Penelope Williams. She will also be remembered by her grandchildren and
great grandchildren, all of whose lives' she cherished and tended _ her
beloved grandson Tarrnie Williams Jr. and his wife Shannon Williams and
their children (great grandchildren) Griffin and Keira, and beloved grandson
Jason Williams and his wife Asia Urbanska, and Eileen's beloved
granddaughters Devon Hemsworth, Aysa Hemsworth and Summer Hemsworth. She
knew them all well and was so proud of each of them and their
accomplishments. Eileen was predeceased by her beloved husband Harold
Hemsworth, her father Wellington Beaton, her brother Harold Beaton and her
sisters Sylvia Burbank and Iris Benson. She is survived by her sister Zona
Macdonald of Galiano Island and her fond nephew Blair Beaton of West
Vancouver and his wife Betty and their many families. For a multitude of
years Eileen took great pleasure in the kindness, company and assistance of
her son-in-law Tarrnie Williams as well as that of Sandy Morton and Bill
Schmidt and Leslie Hemsworth, all of whom helped and indulged her along the
way. Eileen spent her last 3 years at Sunrise in North Vancouver and she
took great pleasure in her new friends Dons, Muriel and Ursula and great
comfort in the kind and generous support of the staff. There will no service
by request. Mom, you were a lion and we love you and will keep you safe.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/29/2008.

HENDRIKSE Catharina Feisty until the end, Catharina died at St. Paul's
Hospital on June 16, 2008. The youngest of 10 children, born in Antwerp,
Belgium in 1910, her family returned to Holland in 1914. Besides her family,
music was the centre of her life. She was an accomplished pianist and sang
with the NL Opera Co. until her move to Canada in 1952 where she taught and
inspired students for over 40 years. Predeceased by husband Marius, "Oma"
will be missed by son Kat, grandchildren Jesse and Sierra Hendrikse, niece
Josephina Haydahl, daughter-in-law Sharon Hanna, nieces and nephews in
Canada and Holland. Join in celebrating her life on July 5th at 2:00 pm at
First Memorial, 602 Kingsway, reception to follow at Kat's home. Thank you
to the staff of St. Paul's Hospital for their loving care.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/29/2008.

HIGMAN Lucy Elizabeth Clare 05 April 1905 - 10 June 2008 Lucy Elizabeth
Clare died peacefully at Vancouver General Hospital after a short illness.
Lucy was a very special person with interests in many areas and will be
greatly missed by her two nieces Jennifer and Rosemary and their families.
Lucy made many friends during her lifetime who are deeply saddened at the
loss of such an extraordinary person.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

HOOK Geoffrey Geoff passed away peacefully on June 22, 2008 at the age of
85. Born in Yorkshire, England, he settled in Canada in 1947 following
service with the British Army in the Middle East. Geoff was a respected
leader in the BC Federated Co-op and Credit Union industry in BC, and later
with the BC Systems Corporation. He was an avid golfer who enjoyed an
enviable handicap. Family was always important for Geoff, who was
predeceased by his wife, Mary, in 1994. He is lovingly remembered by his
daughter Cathy and son Chris and their families. Sincere appreciation is
extended to the staff at Broadmead Lodge for the exceptional care that they
provided to Geoff during his two years there. A private family memorial and
interment is being held. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the
Broadmead Lodge Foundation, 4579 Chatterton Way, Victoria, BC V8X 4Y7.
"Beautiful memories silently kept of one that we loved and will never
forget."
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/28/2008.

JENSEN Robert Gordon March 17, 1933 - June 21, 2008 Rob passed away at home
with his family by his side. Born and raised in Tisdale, Sask. he spent over
40 years in the automotive aftermarket industry in Sask. and BC retiring to
Vancouver Island in 1996. He will be missed and lovingly remembered by his
mother Fay, wife Margaret, sister Arlene (Glen), children Kersten (Rob), Lee

(Tara), Eric (Lori) and grandchildren Kate, Clare, Alex, Chelsea and Jenna.
As per Roberts' request there will be no service. FIRST MEMORIAL FUNERAL
SERVICES Duncan, B.C. (250) 748-2134 Condolences may be sent to:
www.firstmemorialfuneral.com
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

KAGNA Mindel Passed away peacefully June 26, 2008 at Vancouver General
Hospital. Funeral Services to be held Friday, June 27 at Beth Israel
Cemetery at 1:30 p.m.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

LIND - PETERSEN Bergljot HeleneBorn December 23, 1928 in Oslo, Norway.
Passed away June 24, 2008 at Royal Columbia Hospital. Predeceased by her
husband Carl. Remembered by her children Borge (Carole), Bente, Brit
(Chris), Bjorn, Brenda (Bruce) and Brian (Lorrena), grandchildren Adam,
Annika, Matt, Josh, Hailley, Rachel, Charlotte, Jonathon, Jenna, Carly,
Dana, Addy, and Keely. Helene was a wonderful mother and grandmother and
will never be forgetten. A Memorial Service will be held Saturday, June 28,
2008 at 10:30 am at Columbia-Bowell Chapel, 219 - 6th Street, New
Westminster. Columbia-Bowell Chapel 604-521-4881
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

(Memoriam)
MICHAEL ANDREW JAMES LITRAM October 25, 1989 - June 27, 2006 For him, life
more abundant; For us, a guiding star
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

LOCK Delories (Dee) Lovania MaxwellDecember 25, 1945 - June 6, 2008 It is
with much sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Delories (Dee)
Lock, age 62, a dearly loved mom, grandma, aunt, sister and friend to all.
She was born in LIberty, Mississippi, moved to Seattle 40 years ago and 8
years ago to Vancouver, BC. She was predeceased by husband Burley (Bus) Lock
in November 2007. She will be lovingly remembered by her brothers, sister,
children Marko, Terry (Brenda), Don (Angie), Gail (Arnold), Tom (Kim),
grandchildren, great-granchildren, nieces, nephews and countless friends. A
memorial service will be held at 3:00 PM, Saturday, June 28th at the
Salvation Army Church, 6125 Nelson Avenue, Burnaby, B.C.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

LOCKHART David Robert Donald Much loved son of John A. and the late Margaret
Lockhart of Huntingdon, Quebec passed away on June 24th, 2008 in Vancouver
where he had made his home for most of the last 30 years. David will be
greatly missed by his twin brother Peter, his sisters Andrea and Nancy, his
brother Robin, Murray Frum, Karyn Lockhart and Michael Bailey, nieces and
nephews Ryan, Alexis, Michael, Tamara, Benjamin and Gabriel, dear friend
Chris Mancini and many cousins and extended family. David had a big heart
and his circle included many; all of whom mourn his passing. The family
wishes to extend a special thanks to our loving cousin Margaret Ramsdale. A
memorial service will take place in Vancouver later this summer.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/29/2008.

MATHESON Rochelle Elaine (Pausche) November 22, 1938 to May 30, 2008.
Predeceased by her husband Rod and her parents Anita and Joe. Survived and
greatly missed by family and her children: Melanie Matheson, Julie (Tom)
Nielsen, Chris (Tracey) Matheson; grandchildren Daniel, Jana, Kyle, Erik,
Scott, Troy and Ian; her brother Albert Pausche; many dear friends
(Pennington's) and her cat Olive. Mom fought pancreatic cancer with even
greater determination, dignity, and class than she lived by. Always an avid
reader and researcher, she was the best homemaker, library assistant to
schools and DSB law firm before taking on golf and travel. We miss our
beautiful red head. Many thanks to Dr. Randy and the VCHA palliative nurses;
Dorothy, Sharon, Jenny, Anna and the shift care nurses who all helped our
family tremendously. Family and friends are invited to celebrate her life on
July 1, 2008 in the Atrium at the Holiday Inn Express at Renfrew and
Hastings between 1 and 4pm. In lieu of flowers, a donation in Rochelle's
name to your chosen charity is appreciated. Condolescences can made to
www.remembering.ca
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/21/2008 -
6/28/2008.

McINNIS - Kate Passed away Saturday, June 21, 2008 in Richmond at the age of
94 years. Predeceased by her husband Duncan in 1988 and siblings Neil, Mary,
Catherine, John, Bella and Malcolm. Survived by her much loved nieces and
nephews, grandnieces and nephews and great-grandnieces and nephews. Prayer
Service to be held on Sunday evening June 29th at 7:00 p.m. at St. Monica's
Parish, 12011 Woodhead Road, Richmond. A Mass of Christian Burial to be held
on Monday, June 30th at 10:00 a.m. at St. Monica's. Interment at Gardens of
Gethsemani in Surrey. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Covenant
House Vancouver, 575 Drake Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 4K8.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/27/2008 -
6/28/2008.

MEYER Joan Marie Passed away June 25, 2008, aged 68 years. She is survived
by her loving family, husband of 48 years Al, son Jamie, daughter Kristie
(Keith), sister Evelyn (Larry), grandchildren Shelby, Desiree, and Silas,
and many other relatives and friends. A Funeral Mass will be held Monday,
June 30, 2008 at 9:00 a.m. in St. Joseph's Catholic Church, 140 Moody St.,
Port Moody. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Cancer Society or
Crossroads Hospice, with thanks.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

MILNE Margery Jane Loving wife of Dr. Glenn Milne for 56 years, passed away
on June 23, 2008.The memory of her will be cherished by her children, Robert
Ernest, Suzanne Mary and Glenn Douglas and her grandchildren, Samantha,
Corey, Jacque, Hunter, Emily and Sophie. Margery lived a full and joyful
life, bringing laughter and light to all those she encountered. Her kindness
and caring ways will live in the hearts of her husband, sister Arline,
brother David and brother-in-law John, children-in-law Debbie, Anthea and
Tom, nieces, nephews and friends, forever. A memorial service will be held
at Shaughnessy Heights United Church on June 30th, 2008 at 2:00 pm. In lieu
of flowers, donations to the St. Paul's Hospital Palliative Care Unit, would
be graciously accepted.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/25/2008 -
6/28/2008.

OIKAWA Toyoko Gene (Murata) With heavy hearts, we announce the passing of
Toyoko Gene Oikawa, much loved mother, grandmother, and friend, on the
evening of June 23, 2008 after a long, hard-fought battle with cancer. Gene
leaves us to rejoin her husband and soulmate of 45 years, George. She is
survived by her sons, Joey (Naomi) and Kirby, her daughter, Kristi, her
sister, Joyce Carter (Ken), her nephew, Tom Haraga, and her most beloved
granddaughter, Jaimee, who provided her with so much joy in the last year.
Gene was born in Vancouver on December 7, 1936. She attended the University
of British Columbia, where she earned both her Bachelor's and Master's
degrees in Chemistry. She married George in August of 1962. Gene focused all
of her energies on raising her family. She was a fixture at the Arbutus
Club, giving her time to the various sports in which her children
participated. She was active at Osler Elementary School and Magee Secondary
School, helping with fundraising, making costumes for plays, and
participating in parent advisory committees. A most talented seamstress,
knitter, and stitcher, Gene was an active participant in the Embroidery
Guild of Vancouver. She loved her Guild meetings, the seminars, the
workshops, and she created absolutely exquisite samples of work that were
most admired. She could always be counted upon to make something lovely for
a raffle, and the item would be the subject of heavy bidding. During her
4-year battle with cancer, Gene displayed courage and toughness that defied
the odds, and amazed her doctors. In her last year, she received most
excellent care from her team of home care nurses and doctors, and especially
Dr. Hay at the BC Cancer Agency. Her last days were made comfortable by the
wonderful nurses and doctors at the St. Paul's Palliative Care Unit. Their
compassion and dedication to Mum are most appreciated by the family. A
Celebration of Life will be held at 2:00 p.m., July 16, 2008, at the Marine
Drive Golf Course, 7425 Yew Street, Vancouver. Koden gratefully declined. In
lieu of flowers, a donation to the charity of your choice would be
appreciated.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/27/2008.

(Memoriam)
SAMDEI Passed away on June 27, 1981 in Suva, Fiji Islands Wife of Late
Master Matru Prasad of Waituri, Nausori, Fiji Islands Sadly missed by Puran,
Vina, Jainend, Saroj, Vinod, Kamlesh, Ambika, Saroj, Vinod, Savita and
Families and Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

(Memoriam)
IRENE P. SMITH In loving memory of our dear Mother, Grandmother and
Great-Grandmother who passed away on June 27th, 1990. Love's greatest gift -
remembrance - Always in our hearts, Dorothy, Betty, Carol, (Beverly
deceased) and their families.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

TEMOIN Armand Cecil After being diagnosed with cancer last fall, Armand
passed away peacefully at the Village at Mill Creek, Kelowna B.C. on
Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 at the age of 83 years. Armand was predeceased by
his beloved wife Audrey in October 2002 and daughter-in-law Dawn-A-Lee, July
2003. He is survived by son Wayne, grandchildren Deanna and AJ,
step-grandchildren Lindsay and David along with many nieces and nephews.
Born and raised in Vancouver B.C., Armand's working career led him to
various locations in the province until finally settling in the Okanagan
Valley. He was a committed member of the First United Church in Kelowna and
was well known for his caring ways and kind heart. As per Armand's wishes,
no service will be held. The family wishes to express their gratitude to Dr.
Yarrow and the staff at the Village at Mill Creek for Armand's care. In lieu
of flowers, donations to the Canadian Cancer Society or the charity of your
choice would be greatly appreciated. Condolences may be sent to the family
by visiting www.firstmemorialkelowna.com Arrangements entrusted with FIRST
MEMORIAL FUNERAL SERVICES (250) 762-2299
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

THOMAS Deborah Joan nee Deakin was born on February 12,1952 and passed away
on the weekend peacefully in her home. She was survived by her son Todd
(Anna), daughter Sandra (Tony) and her grandchildren Joshua and Sophia. Also
survived by brothers Ross, Donald, Michael and Evan and sister Tracey. She
will be very missed. Her life will be celebrated with family and friends on
June 30, 2008.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/29/2008.

THUMATH James March 13, 1929 - June 24, 2008 Jimmy passed away peacefully at
Peach Arch Hospital at the age of 79 with family at his side. He was born in
Paisley, Scotland and moved to White Rock in 1957. Jimmy was an active
member of his community. He served in the British Army in the Royal Corps
signals, was a letter carrier for Canada Post White Rock for 25 years,
volunteered as a fire fighter in White Rock, community policing in South
Surrey and was a founding member of White Rock United soccer club. He is
survived by his loving wife Joyce of 54 years. He will be deeply cherished
and fondly remembered by his brother Eric and loving children Garry (Angela)
and Linda and also by his grandchildren Meaghan (Tret), Taryn and Kelsey and
great-grandson Brayden. Funeral Mass will be celebrated at Star of the Sea,
1153 Fir St., White Rock on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 11:00am. In lieu of
flowers, donations may be made to the B.C. Cancer Foundation. The family
would like to thank hospital staff palliative care unit at Peace Arch
Hospital for their kindness and support.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

(Memoriam)
Tony September 12, 1957 - July 1, 2006 We miss the precious being you were
that words cannot express. Dad, Peggy, Rick, Colleen, Mom, Natasha, Jasmin
and Sarah
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

(Memoriam)
GORDON WRAY TOWNSHEND March 3, 1943 - June 27, 2002 Loving and kind in all
his ways Upright and just to the end of his days Sincere and kind in heart
and mind What a beautiful memory he left behind. In loving memory of my
beloved husband "Wray" Who died six years ago today. Missed, Always In Our
Hearts, Forever Love Always, Beryldine
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

(Memoriam)
RAJPAL SINGH VIRK September 2, 1947 - June 27, 2007 A loving husband, father
and grandfather. Please continue to guide us from up above Forever in our
hearts, prayers and thoughts. Love: wife Manjeet, Suzie, Roopy, Robby,
Markus, Victoria, Sahara, Gordy, Opi
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

WEST Leslie December 6, 1916 - June 23, 2008 Leslie West passed away
peacefully on June 23, 2008 at the age of 91 years. Leslie is survived by
Bernadette Burris, Glenese Nakatsu and her son Jordan, Jacquie Burris, David
Secora; and his cat "Angel". Leslie enlisted in the Canadian Army in Prince
Rupert, B.C. from September 1939 to March 29, 1946. He loved to work out in
his garden and to putter out in the garage. He also loved watching his
favorite hockey team "The Canucks" and going to their games. Mass of
Christian Burial will be held 1:00pm Friday, June. 27, 2008 at Our Lady of
Good Counsel Catholic Church, 10460 139 St, Surrey, followed by burial at
Forest Lawn Burial Park. "He will be forever in our hearts."
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from 6/26/2008 -
6/27/2008.

WESTERGAARD Martin February 4, 1935 - June 20, 2008 Predeceased by father
Svend, mother Betty and brother Alfred (Wes). Survived by wife of 49 years
Irene, daughter Sandra (Leo) DeLeo, sons Ross and Glen (Jacquie),
grandchildren Jeffrey, Elizabeth, Paige, Justin, Jace, Olivia, brother Don,
sisters Mona Lecomte, and Rita MacVicar. A longtime employee of Nabob Foods.
Martin was an active member of various Fish and Game Clubs. He enjoyed the
outdoors and his garden and delighted in each of his grandchildren. A
Memorial Service will be held on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 1:00 P.M. at the
Burnaby North Baptist Church, 3977 Albert Street, Burnaby. No flowers by
request.
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 6/27/2008.

This thread: