CANADA-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > CANADA-OBITS > 2008-10 > 1225295939

From: Obits-Only <>
Subject: [CANADA-OBITS] Victoria Times-Colonist; January 15, 2007
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:58:59 -0700

Victoria Times-Colonist; Monday, January 15, 2007 remembering.ca >
Victoria home

Obituaries and Guest Books for 1/15/2007
Page 1 of 1 (14 total results)

ANDERSON, Mary Kathleen (Kathy) December 26, 1947 to January 11, 2007 Kathy
passed away peacefully at Victoria Hospice after a courageous fight with
cancer. She is survived by her husband Allan, her sons James (Denise) and
Duncan (Rose), her daughter Lindsay Neilson (Joel), and her brother Donald
Sloan (Nancy). She will be sadly missed and carry on in our hearts forever.
Kathy was born and raised in Vancouver, and after briefly living on the
prairies with Allan, returned to the West Coast and settled in Victoria.
Kathy was a dedicated mother, a voracious reader, a crossword puzzle addict,
a gourmet in the kitchen (despite her dislike of most vegetables), and an
enthusiastic traveller. Her love of travel took her and Allan to Europe,
North Africa, Caribbean, and South America. All those who knew K will miss
her warm smile, positive energy and love of anything cashmere. The family
would like to extend their thanks to Dr. Derek Carroll for his continuing
care through Kathy's treatment, as well as the staff of Victoria Hospice for
their compassionate attention during her stay. A Celebration of Life will be
held at 3pm on Saturday, January 20th at the University of Victoria
Interfaith Chapel. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Victoria
Hospice Society or the BC Cancer Society. 331014
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/14/2007 - 1/16/2007.

Commander Donald Clark CD RCN Ret'd 1915 2007 Born 7 September 1915 at 111
Fotheringay Road, Pollockshields, Glasgow, Scotland and died 12 January 2007
at Saanich Peninsula Hospital. Donald was the son of Dr. Donald Clark MB ChB
(Glasgow 1907) and Esther Thomson. Donald was also the last surviving
grandson of James Rodger Thomson of J&G Thomson Shipbuilding, Clydebank,
Scotland and Marion Paterson Neilson daughter of William Neilson of Orbiston
House, Bothwell, Scotland; and Councillor William Shearer Clark of Wishaw,
Scotland and his wife Margaret Dawson Jack. Donald was predeceased by his
beloved wife Phoebe in 1984 and son Grant in 2005. He was also predeceased
by his father (1928), mother (1973) and siblings Marion Elma Clark (1992),
James Thomson Clark (1914) and William Shearer Clark (2002) and his
step-mother Jessie McDonald Baxter of Sydney, Australia (1955). Donald is
survived by his loving daughter Anne Lynch at the family home in Sidney, BC.
Donald was born during World War I and did not see his father until the
wars' end in 1918 when Capt. Donald Clark, Royal Army Medical Corps returned
home after serving in France and Greece. The family broke up in the early
1920's with Dr. Clark eventually settling and remarrying in Salonika, Greece
where he founded Harman Keiu Hospital. The effects of both diabetes and
malaria ravaged Dr. Clark's health and he and his new wife moved to
Australia where he died in 1928. Esther and the children came to Canada in
1928 and settled in Montreal. Donald was placed in Weredale House Orphanage
for Boys in 1929 and stayed there until 1933. By 1938, Donald had worked for
RCAVictor and the Foxboro Instrument Company in Montreal and was an
apprentice electrician. In 1940, Donald joined the RCNVR and, after
receiving his journeyman's papers, worked on radar at the National Research
Council with installations following and transferred to the RCN in 1945. In
the RCN, Donald became heavily involved in shipbuilding and helped write the
manual for Principal Naval Overseers as well as overseeing the building of
HMCS Nipigon and HMCS Bras d'Or in Sorel, Quebec. Donald then had come full
circle from the founding of the shipyard of J&G Thomson (later to be John
Brown) in 1840 by his great grandfather George Thomson to overseeing the
building of warships for the Canadian Navy in the 1960's. Donald retired
from the RCN in 1966 and became a successful realtor in Victoria. He
gradually retired from his second career and became caregiver after his
beloved Phoebe had a severe stroke in 1975. Donald will be sorely missed by
his daughter Anne who dedicated her family research to him and so enjoyed
their 54 years of fishing together. He will also be missed by many family
members and friends not only here in Canada but in Scotland, England, New
Zealand, and Australia, and of course the "very best neighbours anyone could
have ". My heartfelt thanks to Dr. Linda Wilson, nurse Mary Chee and all the
people at Veterans Affairs who did so much to make Dad comfortable and
enabled him to stay in his own home. By request, there will be a gathering
in Donald's honour at a later date. Flowers are gratefully declined.
Donations to Saanich Peninsula Hospital in memory of Donald would be greatly
appreciated. Condolences may be offered to the family at www.mccallbros.com
. 331006
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/14/2007 - 1/15/2007.

(Memoriam)
DAWSON, Derry In loving memory of Derry, from his family. "Sunset and
evening star and one clear call for me, And may there be no moaning of the
bar when I put out to sea. " 330599
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 1/15/2007.

(Memoriam)
DYKE, Marjorie Compton Feb 7, 1927 Jan 15, 2002 "We are because you were,
And we will always remember. " Beloved mother, you are missed so very much
by all of your family and friends. You lived well, laughed lots and were
loved and admired by many. Love always, Vera,Tricia,Claire, Dick, Cathleen,
Deborah, Gary, Maureen, Zhara, Sean, Cecile, Todd, Marrianne and families.
330850
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 1/15/2007.

GODRON, Ricardo age 27 1979 October 22 2006 December 31 DO YOU REMEMBER ME?
DO YOU CARE? I just wanted to take time out today to remind you that you're
very important in my life and you always will be ... "Hi, I wanted to take
the time out today to let you " know I love you and that you mean so much to
me. I am mindful of all the memories I have from throughout my childhood and
I am thankful. "For as long as I can remember, you have given " me the best
gift of all, the gift of love. "These are the thoughts and feeling that I
carry " with myself all the time and every day and not only today. But above
all and no matter what, my "love is unconditional and I will always love
you. " Love, Ricardo Your son, of Fidelia Godron, Your brother, to Jeboah,
Nolan, Josiah, Isaac, Fantasha, Donita, Riga Your father, to Calin Avery
Godron Your nephew, to Ericka, Paul, Huey Godron Your uncle, to many Your
grandson, to Evangeline Godron Your late ex-husband, to Camilla Elisabeth
Gregersen Your friend, to many "And on this special day " I just wanted to
tell you ~ I love you, too Written by, Ricardo Godron For more information
on attending or sharing of photos, belongings and memories of Ricardo
Godron, call his mom, Fidelia Godron day or night 385-3881 (250). 329791
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/10/2007 - 1/16/2007.

HICKS, Alfreda Margaret Born in Victoria December 6, 1919 and passed away
peacefully at Victoria General Hospital, January 12, 2007. She now joins
with her dear mum and dad, and her husband, the love of her life and teenage
sweetheart, Arthur who passed away in l997. Freda lived and worked in
Victoria as a fashion buyer for Jean Burns ladies wear, and later worked for
the Ministry of Social Services on Cook Street. As a very young woman she
cared for her Dad (a WWI veteran) and worked for Ormands Biscuit factory in
Victoria West. Freda and Art were reunited in 1960, fell in love again, and
were soon married. They moved to Burnaby where Freda worked in the offices
of Woodward's in downtown Vancouver. They then moved to Nanaimo where she
enjoyed their home, family, friends, their two dogs, and a fabulous garden.
They moved back to Victoria for their retirement where she was a member of
the Legion and the Eagles and was an active contributor to many causes.
Freda was always supportive and interested in the well being of her family
and was always very independent, capable, and strong. She will be sadly
missed by her many nieces and nephews and friends. The family wishes to
thank the nursing staff at VGH 6C and & 7B for their wonderful care of
Freda. Private cremation, donations if desired may be made to a charity of
your choice. 330996
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/14/2007 - 1/15/2007.

IZARD, Cynthia Olive (Musgrave) Born in Victoria, December 29, 1919, the
only daughter of Olive and Arthur Musgrave, Cynthia died peacefully at home
on January 9, 2007. She married Arthur Izard in 1942, who predeceased her in
January 2006. She is survived by Margot, Ted (Liga) and John (Janet)
Brampton, Ont., grandsons Roger (Sabrina) and Douglas, and great-grandson
Luke. Cynthia attended Norfolk House School, Alexandra College (Dublin),
Victoria College (1937-39), University of Victoria (1962-63), and graduated
with a B.Ed in Special Education (1974). She taught primary in local schools
for 16 years, 11 of them as a Learning Assistance Teacher. She was an active
member of the Engineers' Wives' Association, a volunteer with the Learning
Disabilities Association, and she hosted a monthly support group for
parents. At Christ Church Cathedral, she was involved with the Sunday
School, Chancel Guild, Telephone Ministry, and Greeters. A funeral service
will be held Thursday, January 18th, at 1 pm, at Christ Church Cathedral
(corner of Quadra and Rockland). There will be a reception following the
service in the church gymnasium. If you have memories of Cynthia that you
would like to share with us, please either record them in condolences at
www.mccallbros.com , or bring them to the reception. Donations in Cynthia's
memory will be gratefully accepted by either the Christ Church Cathedral
Buildings Limited, or the Learning Disabilities Association of B.C., South
Vancouver Island Chapter, 1524 Fort St., V8S 5J2. 331012
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/14/2007 - 1/17/2007.

KOKE, Theodore (Ted) Family and friends mourn the passing of Theodore (Ted)
Koke on Jan. 13, 2007, in Victoria at the age of 90 years. Born Oct. 13,
1916, in Winnipeg, Ted spent his early years in East Braintree, a small town
southeast of Winnipeg. He grew up the middle child of five siblings. In his
youth, he was an avid outdoorsman, spending his leisure time hiking,
canoeing, fishing and camping. In 1940, he joined the RCAF and spent time in
Montreal and Toronto serving as a wireless electric mechanic. After the war,
Ted entered the teaching profession, spending several years in the remote
town of Lynn Lake, Man. It was during time spent in Port Alberni, B.C.,that
he met his wife, Joyce Foster, and in 1953 they were married in Fort
Saskatchewan, Alberta. That same year he quit teaching and went to work for
Sherritt Gordon Mines and began a new career as a purchasing agent. In 1956,
he transferred to Northwest Nitro Chemicals in Medicine Hat, Alberta, and he
and Joyce began raising a family. There, they raised their three children:
Kory (Jacquie), Byron (Anne) and Shelley (Brent). During the years their
children were teenagers, the Koke house was a bit of a teen hangout, with
all the challenges and trials to accompany that reality. Ted and Joyce both
survived those teenaged years-including the wrecking of several cars-with
patience and grace. They were married for close to 52 years until Joyce's
death in Nov. 05. Ted was a devoted and loving husband and father, generous
to a fault. Letters from dad were usually was accompanied by a crisp $20
bill slipped between the pages. Most evenings during that time, Ted could
often be found enjoying a glass of wine, watching TV or sharing a late night
snack with Ginger, the family dog. The Koke children's memories of their
father include trips to the playground, skating at Lion's Park, and skiing
at Elkwater in the Cypress Hills (aka keeping the kids out of mom's hair).
Taxi service to hockey and baseball practices, figure skating, ballet and
music lessons also were part of his duties. Ted and Joyce were married for
close to 52 years until Joyce's death in November, 2005. Ted was one of
those people for whom retirement (1984) was the beginning of a new, creative
and rewarding chapter. In 1977, he began dabbling with pottery and upon
retirement, commenced a new career of "potting ". He bought his own wheel,
took many courses in ceramics and was president of the Hat Potter's Club for
several years. He was a bit of a perfectionist, and over time his work
became both beautiful and functional. He found working with clay therapeutic
and good for the soul. In 1989, Ted and Joyce fled the Prairie winters for
the balmier climate of Victoria, where they lived the rest of their days.
Ted was predeceased by two brothers (Joe and Tony) and two sisters (Mary and
Helen). He leaves to mourn three children, eight grandchildren, two
sisters-in-law (Beryl and Anita), a brotherin-law (Art), among many others.
Dad, we will miss your kind support and compassion. Go with peace. The
family wishes to thank the caring nurses and staff at Victoria General
Hospital for their warm support through this time. A tea will be held in
honour of his memory Monday, January 15, 2007 at the Kensington, 3965
Shelbourne Street, Victoria, BC. A private family service will be held at a
later date. 331048
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 1/15/2007.

McCLEAVE, Stewart REMEMBERING SAM! Services will be held at 1:00 pm, January
18, 2007, in the CFB Chapel in Naden. All invited to gathering after at
Canadian Legion in Esquimalt, corner Admirals & Esquimalt Rds. 329342
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/9/2007 - 1/16/2007.

POITRAS, Joan Estelle Born June 19, 1937, Vancouver, BC passed away in
Victoria, BC January 10, 2007. Predeceased by parents Merle (1943), Doris
(2005), 1st husband, Stephen Fuller (July 1, 1965) and 2nd husband, Everett
(Jim) Poitras (September 20, 1992). Remembering Joan with love; daughters
Sharon MacDonald, Gail Byram (John MacInnis), son David Fuller;
grandchildren Michael MacDonald, Tracy MacDonald and Kyle Byram;
great-grandchildren Alyssia and Malia. Joan lived in Dartmouth, NS with her
first husband Stephen. She moved with her three children to Victoria, BC
where she met her second husband, Jim. Joan spent many hours at the beach
and was an avid reader. She had a great sense of humour and a quick wit. She
will be greatly missed. A special thanks to Dr. Lintern, staff at Heritage
Woods, where she resided and the staff at the Victoria General Hospital for
their kindness and support. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at
Heritage Woods, Oak Cottage, 567 Goldstream Avenue on January 16, 2007 at
1:00 P.M. 330812
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/14/2007 - 1/15/2007.

REID, Margaret Jean, (nee Baltzer) Born Dec. 12, 1913, passed away
peacefully in Victoria, B.C. on Dec. 30, 2006 after several years of
declining health. She was predeceased by her husband Everett (1988) and is
survived by her four children: Barbara Margerm (Doug), Vancouver, B.C.; Mary
Ellen Meunier (Clem), Victoria, B.C.; Linda Parsons (Jack), Rochester, TX;
Robert Reid (Laurie), Ancaster, ON.; 7 grandchildren and 4
great-grandchildren. Jean was born near Harrow, Ontario and lived most of
her life in the Windsor area until moving to Victoria, B.C in 1992. She was
a stay-at-home mother, a life-long member of the United Church and a devoted
friend and correspondent to many. She will be remembered for her kind heart
and generous spirit. A loving and beloved wife, mother, grandmother and
great-grandmother, we will miss her dearly. A Memorial Service will be held
January 20, 2007 at 2 pm, St. Aidan's United Church. Interment was in
Victoria Memorial Cemetery, Windsor, Ontario, January 6, 2007. The family
wishes to thank Dr. Michael Miles, and the staff at Oak Bay Kiwanis Pavilion
for their loving and compassionate care. In lieu of flowers, donations may
be made to the Heart and Stroke Foundation. 329983
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/15/2007 - 1/16/2007.

(Memoriam)
SHORT, Elizabeth July 29, 1924 January 15, 1947 "Remembered always" 329758
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 1/15/2007.

(Memoriam)
SMITH, Darryl Steven James March 14,1968 January 15,1988 Lovingly remembered
and sadly missed, Mum, Dad, Traci, Korbe, Graedy and Logan. 328341
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 1/15/2007.

WELLS, Kenyon It is with great sadness that we announce that Kenyon Wells
(bd Feb. 11, 1958) died at home on January 10, 2006 after a "Herculean"
fight to beat back his cancer. His beloved wife Jayn Tyson and his sister
Shana Wright (Joe) are left in his footsteps as he makes his way to his
home, home. With peace in our hearts we would like to extend an invitation
to his friends and colleagues to attend a Memorial service at Queenswood
Centre on January 19 at 3 pm to be followed by potluck appetizers at his
home. Kenyon will be remembered for his generous spirit, his love of the
great outdoors, his eternal belief that the cup is always half full. His
family would like to extend their sincere gratitude to the remarkable staff
at Hospice and in appreciation we would like to ask that in lieu of flowers,
donations be made to Hospice in Kenyon's name. "To my dearest Kenyon, I
think of heaven as a garden where I shall find again those dear ones who
have made my world". Love Jayn. 330759
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 1/13/2007 - 1/15/2007.

This thread: