CANADA-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > CANADA-OBITS > 2008-10 > 1225330925

From: Obits-Only <>
Subject: [CANADA-OBITS] Victoria Times-Colonist; March 23, 2007
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:42:05 -0700

Victoria Times-Colonist; Friday, March 23, 2007
remembering.ca > Victoria home

Obituaries and Guest Books for 3/23/2007
Page 1 of 1 (34 total results)

ATCHISON, James Verne Born in Tynehead, BC on March 24, 1915, passed away
peacefully after a short stay at Saanich Peninsula Hospital on March 14,
2007. Predeceased by parents, loving wife Marge (2000), brothers Huck,
Vaughn, Jack, Dick; sisters Viola and Vera. Survived by loving children
Barry (Jude), Rob (Maureen), Sandy (Jerry); grandchildren Darin, Greg
(Bonnie), Jared, Justine, Kathy, Krista (Jesse), Rob (Shawn), Rodger
(Jennifer); great grandchildren Brandyn, Chase, Cody, Dayna, Dylan, Emily,
Jeremiah, Julia, Justyn, Karli, Sam and Tyrell. Also left to remember him
are brother Monty, sisters-in-law Trudy and Ann as well as numerous and
special nieces, nephews and good friends. He was known and will be
remembered for his love and appreciation of family, inquisitive mind,
inventive nature, spirit of adventure, hard worker...and "lovely hair" ! The
family wishes to thank Dr. C.P. Innes for his support and care over the
years, nurses and doctors at Saanich Peninsula Hospital and support workers
at Beacon Community services. A memorial service will be held Sunday March
25th at 2:00 p.m. at First Memorial Funeral Services, 4725 Falaise Drive,
Victoria, B.C. Condolences may be sent to: www.firstmemorialfuneral.com
(saanich link) In lieu of flowers, donation, if desired, could be made to
the charity of your choice. 349947
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/18/2007 - 3/23/2007.

BARBOUR, Elsie Winnifred November 2, 1917 March 21, 2007 A life time
Victorian. Predeceased by her husband Gilbert in 1988. She will be
remembered and missed by her daughter Marilyn (Glen), son Martin (Darla),
grandchildren Ward (Lisa), Cara (Bill), Gary and Jamie, great grandchildren
Tyler, Abby, Ella, Lily, sister-in-law Florence. Thanks to Dr. Morgan
(Debbie), Kenning II, Dogwood 3 and our special friend Dulcie No service by
request, a family gathering at a later date. If desired donations in her
memory to the Heart and Stroke Fund. 351191
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

BEEBE, James Gardner With great sadness and shock we announce the unexpected
death of James Gardner Beebe. He was born in Lincoln, Neb., February 7th,
1945 and died in Victoria, BC, on March 19, 2007. Adored husband of Lorna
Harris, a most wonderful, protective, and guiding parent to Maiga and Lyle,
his mother's treasured son, and mentor to Sam. Jim Beebe was loved and
cherished by all his family. In addition to his wife Lorna, and Maiga and
Lyle, he leaves his mother, Thelma June Beebe, his brother and sister-in-law
Jared and Ann Marie Beebe, his brother and sister-in-law Joel and June
Beebe, his mother-in-law Norah Harris, his sister-in-law and brother-in-law
Adrienne Harris and Robert Sklar, nieces and nephews. We are all heartbroken
at the loss of this marvelous, gifted, socially responsible man. He was, as
his friend Katherine Holt said, a quintessential Canadian, though he arrived
in the 1960's as a politicized anti-war activist. Beginning as a reporter
for the Toronto Star, Jim worked in the Yukon from 1973 to 1992 as a
newspaper editor and publisher, and in the Yukon government on aboriginal
rights, policy and planning. It was there that he began a great love for the
Canadian outdoors. For the rest of his life, he maintained his passion for
the natural environment and for the social and political world. He came to
Victoria in 1992 to work for the British Columbia government as a senior
advisor in several ministries and in the Government Policy and
Communications Office, continuing a life-long interest in development,
social policy, and opportunities for employment. Jim leaves a trail of
colleagues, fellow coconspirators, and devoted like-minded buddies, involved
in many progressive projects over more than three decades. Recently Jim was
proud to participate and serve on the Advisory Planning Commission and the
Downtown Advisory Commission for the City of Victoria. He was a Director of
Trafford Publishing, an on-demand publishing service in Victoria. Jim and
Lorna were at a particularly sweet moment in a wonderful life and love
affair. Children launched and thriving, work was winding down and yet Jim
found interesting projects to engage his social conscience and his
formidable intellect. How we would all have hoped for the chance to see Jim,
sailing, and biking, Jim and Lorna traveling, enjoying music, living
together in a long and interesting conversation. A Celebration of Life will
be held at McCall Bros. Floral Chapel, Johnson & Vancouver Streets on
Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 12:00 noon. Condolences may be offered to the
family at www.mccallbros.com 350471
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/21/2007 - 3/23/2007.

BOYD, George Alan After a brave fight with cancer it is with deep sadness
that we announce the passing of George Alan Boyd. Devoted husband, father,
and poppa. He passed away peacefully March 17, 2007 with his beloved wife by
his side. He will be lovingly remembered and sadly missed by his wife of 54
years, Margaret, sons Ian (Kathy), George, and James, granddaughters Rysha
and Michelle, and brother Jim (Jeanette) of Musselburgh, Scotland. Alan was
predeceased by his father Thomas, mother Wilhemina, brothers Jack and
Thomas, and sister Sheila. Alan was born in Musselburgh, Scotland on
November 12th, 1927. He served in the R.A.F for 6 years, 3 of which were in
Malta. He was released in 1952 and joined the English Electric Factory in
Preston, England working on the construction of the P1 bomber. With his wife
Margaret and son Ian, he immigrated to Canada in 1957 settling in Calgary,
Alberta where George and James were born. As a skilled aircraft engineer he
spent the next 24 years with the aircraft industry repairing and maintaining
aircraft in Calgary and throughout the Arctic. He and long-time friend John
Bolton Carr started an aircraft repair company in Calgary and Red Deer,
Alberta. In 1981, he and Margaret moved to British Columbia where he
continued his love of aircraft, working first with the Conair Company in
Abbotsford and then with the Flying Firemen and Viking Air in Sidney. Dad
was a gentle and generous man, so proud of his three sons and dear Kathy,
Rysha, and Michelle. His passing is a big loss to us all. He touched the
lives of many people in a positive and joyous way. He will be fondly
remembered. The family would like to gratefully acknowledge the loving care
provided by the nurses, staff, and volunteers of the Richmond Pavilion at
the Royal Jubilee Hospital as well as the Saanich Peninsula Palliative Care
Unit. Memorial services will be held on Thursday, March 29 at the First
Memorial Funeral Home at 4725 Falaise Drive in Royal Oak. The ceremony will
begin at 2:00PM followed by a reception in the Garden Room. In lieu of
flowers please donate to the charity of your choice. Condolences may be sent
to: www.firstmemorialfuneral.com 350936
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
BRENER, Roland Byron February 22, 1942 March 22, 2006 As we mark the one
year anniversary of our loss, we remember an adoring husband and father,
artist, teacher, and sailor: Roland, who touched many lives through his art,
teaching, friendship and humour, was a true original and we will always miss
him. We thank our large, supportive circle of friends and family around the
world, who have helped us this past year, and ask you to join us in
remembering his brave and bright spirit. In memory of Roland we are creating
an annual award for an outstanding graduating sculptor or painter from UVic
Visual Arts Department where Roland taught for 25 years. In our hearts
always, Dama and Amy 350778
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/22/2007 - 3/23/2007.

BRYAN, Dorothy Phyllis (nee Graham) of North Vancouver and Sooke, born on
December 4, 1923, passed away peacefully on March 20, 2007 after a prolonged
battle with Parkinsonism and osteoporosis. Predeceased by husband, Elwood,
in March 2006; survived by loving sister Gladys, daughter Sharon (Rob), son
Steve (Darlene), grandchildren Jonathan and Brittany, relatives and friends.
A memorial service will be held at Sutherland Church, 630 East 19th Street,
North Vancouver at 2:30 pm Monday, April 2, 2007. In lieu of flowers,
donations to the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be appreciated. 350741
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/22/2007 - 3/23/2007.

CAMPBELL, Audrey Grace Audrey was born in 1915 in Bletchingley, Surrey,
England and passed away on March 15, 2007. She was predeceased by her
husband Major H. Lorne Campbell in 1999 and earlier by her sister Edna and
twin sister Eileen and brother Eric of England. She is survived by her
daughter Jane, son Jeremy (Fiona), granddaughter Camille, Malcolm and
family. Audrey served in British A.T.S. W.W.II and came to Kingston, Ontario
as a War Bride in 1946 then came to Victoria in 1961. A great mom,
grandmother, wife and friend who will be missed by all that knew her. A Wake
in memory of Audrey will be held on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 3 pm at
1056 Deal Street, Victoria. Donations may be made to the Canadian Cancer
Society. 350263
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/20/2007 - 3/23/2007.

CHAPMAN, Doreen Emslie January 14, 1934 March 21, 2007 It is with great
sadness that we announce the death of our Mother. Predeceased by husband
Gordon, survived by Alison (Graeme), Duncan (Jenny), and grandchildren
Stuart and Jessica, Sam and Angus to whom she was a devoted Nana. After a
long and well fought battle with illness she died peacefully with family at
her bedside. A well known and respected member of the community, Doreen will
be sadly missed by family, friends and the many people she touched everyday.
Her tenure at Saanich Peninsula Hospital as the first Director of Nursing
was characterized by her commitment to the patients, staff and community
that she loved so well. Doreen's humour, generosity, and zest for life will
be remembered fondly. Her strength and courage were a lesson to all of us
and one which will not be forgotten. The family would like to thank Dr.
Terry Hartrick and the staff and volunteers at Saanich Peninsula Hospital.
Join us for a celebration of this amazing lady's life followed by a brief
reception at First Memorial, 1155 Fort St. at 10:00am Saturday, March 24,
2007. In lieu of flowers, donations to Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation
would be greatly appreciated. 350907
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/22/2007 - 3/23/2007.

COLEMAN, Sydney John It is with great sadness that the family of John
Coleman announce his peaceful passing on the morning of March 21, 2007 with
his family by his side. John was predeceased by his parents Patrick and
Edith Coleman, brother Patrick, daughter and Edith Coleman. Survived by his
sons Johnny (Annette), Jonathan (Barbara), Brian (Antoinette), daughters
Katie, Josie (Rick) and 14 grandchildren. He will also be greatly missed by
his friend Helen. John will always be remembered for his passion for living.
He took great joy in his family and friends, his working career, and his
pleasure in art, gardening and dancing. Special thanks to the VIHA Staff for
their comfort and support Huych'qa. A prayer service will be held Friday
evening, 7:00 pm at St. Ann's Church, 1775 Tzouhalem Road, Duncan, BC,
Funeral Mass will be held from the Church on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at
10:00 am. Online condolences may be offered at www.sands-funeral.com 351356
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

CRAIGDALLIE, Muriel Alberta (Brown) 1918 2007 On Tuesday, March 19th, 2007
Muriel Craigdallie passed away peacefully at the age of 88 years at Dufferin
Place in Nanaimo, B.C. Predeceased by her husband Thomas in 1989 and her
brother Douglas in 1985. Muriel will be sadly missed and lovingly remembered
by her family; son James (Leslie) of Nanaimo, B.C. daughter Nancy (Cal) of
Cold Lake, AB; her grandchildren Michael, Stephen, Heather, Patricia and
Krystal, and her dear sister-in-law Mary Gidden of Victoria, B.C. with whom
she spent much time and many pleasurable holiday cruises. Muriel was born
and raised in Victoria, BC and a resident of Comox from 1965 until 2001. She
was a very active member in the Comox Golf Club and various bridge clubs.
Prior to that she had been a resident of Balfour, B.C. from 1949 to1965
where she was very involved in her community. Muriel was a great friend to
many people and always a fun and interested Nana with her grandchildren. One
of her favorite pastimes was spent baking various treats and sharing them
with family and friends. Her family would like to thank the staff of
Dufferin Place for all the compassion, care and kindness shown to Mom.
Cremation has taken place. At Mother's request, no formal service will be
held. Internment will follow at a later date Arrangements Confidently
Assigned To TELFORD'S MID ISLAND MEMORIAL SERVICES 1-866-503-5553 351259
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

DENSON, Ralph William (Bill) Born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan on January 14,
1930, died peacefully at home in Victoria, B.C. on March 17, 2007, with his
beloved wife and son by his side. He leaves to remember him with love his
darling bride of 54 years, Alice; his adoring children Catherine (Peter
Mitchell), Debbie (Michael Shaw) and David (Pat Camp); and his precious
grandchildren Cathlene, Holly, David, Nathan and Veronica. He also leaves
behind his dear brother Ernest, sister Phyllis Clark (George), nieces and
nephew; extended family; many treasured friends and colleagues; and his St.
John's "church family". He was predeceased by his parents Ralph and Daisy
Denson, sister Laura, sister-in-law Myrtle, and brothers-in-law Warren and
Scott. Bill inspired us all with his integrity, touched us with his
kindness, guided us with his wisdom, infected us with his boundless
laughter, and blessed us with the love and affection he so freely bestowed.
He spent his boyhood on a farm in Dunblane, Sask., graduated (B.Comm.) from
the University of Saskatchewan, earned his CA in Regina, and moved with
Alice to Victoria in 1955. Bill's long and loving marriage was the central
joy of his life. He was deeply proud of his children, and elated by his
grandchildren. Bill was always immensely proud of his profession, and will
be forever missed by his wonderful, esteemed colleagues at Norgaard, Neale,
Camden. He spent countless happy hours on the golf course and in the
clubhouse at Royal Colwood G.C., where his sense of humour was his
trademark. Bill's strong and abiding faith was a gift to him and to St.
John's, the church he served with joy for many decades. He cherished his
closest friends and neighbours, especially George and Katie Roberts. He
remained a humble soul, while heartily embracing the "good life" (not to
mention a good martini!). In his final years, Bill endured the debilitating
illness of pulmonary fibrosis with courage and grace, and his family is ever
grateful to Dr. Ross McKay, Dr. Ian Waters, the compassionate team on the
Royal Jubilee Hospital's Respiratory Unit, and Blaise Eagleheart. Memorial
service to be held at the Church of St. John the Divine, 1611 Quadra Street,
Victoria, B.C., on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 1:30 p.m. In lieu of flowers.
the family would appreciate donations to the B.C. Lung Association. Bill,
Dad, Grand-dad, Uncle Bill, Mr. D. we could emulate you and quote from any
number of lovely (even corny) poems, but instead we'll just say "We'll
dearly miss you, we'll always love you, and we're truly blessed to have
shared in the life you lived so well." 350993
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/22/2007 - 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
EVANS, Joseph March 23, 2005 We hold back our tears when we speak your name,
but the ache in our hearts is still the same. "Til the End of Time ". Love
Peg, Barb, Lynne and Families. 350210
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
FOSTER, George Strange isn't it, Each mans life touches so many other lives.
Missing you 351536
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

GESSNER, Alana Joy Lynne April 10, 1984 March 16, 2007 With sadness we
announce the peaceful passing of our beautiful young Alana on March 16,
2007. She struggled valiantly for a long time, passing peacefully. She will
be greatly missed by her brother, sister, mother, father, and her many
friends and extended family. There will be a memorial service Saturday,
March 24, in the United Church Hall, 500 Admirals Rd. at 4:00pm. 350195
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/20/2007 - 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
HAMHUIS, Herman May 30, 1947 March 23, 2006 ONE YEAR AGO TODAY YOU PASSED
AWAY I cherish the time we had together, the wonderful adventures we were
able to share. Rest in peace, my darling, You will always be in our hearts.
Your loving wife Gail and family miss you very much. 349423
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

HATCH, Lorna June July 12, 1948 March 17, 2007 It is with great sadness that
we announce the passing of Lorna June Hatch, beloved wife, mother,
grandmother and friend. Lorna will be dearly missed and fondly remembered by
her loving husband of 40 years, Ron; daughters Beverly and Julie; son Ron
(Sue); grandchildren Brendan and Cooper and many other friends and family
members. Lorna fought and won her battle with breast cancer 16 years ago,
but sadly, lost her courageous battle with emphysema. She spent many years
providing exceptional care to the residents at The Gorge Road Hospital, Oak
Bay Lodge and Glengarry Hospital, where she made many good friends along the
way. The family would like to thank Dr. Ran Donaldson for his many years of
compassionate and dedicated care as her family physician. Thanks as well, to
all her respiratory care staff at the Royal Jubilee Hospital for their kind
and thoughtful care. The loss of her in our lives is immeasurable, but we
take comfort in knowing she is at peace and is watching over us, smiling and
wishing us well. No service, by request. In lieu of flowers, donations may
be made in Lorna's name to The Canadian Lung Association. Condolences may be
offered to the family at www.mccallbros.com 350102
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
LONGSTAFF, George August 13, 1909 March 23, 2005 Dear Dad, we think of you
often, miss you still, love you forever. Love the kids. 349169
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

MacARTHUR, Alastair Cameron Having lived a full life until the last moment;
Alastair Cameron MacArthur, Flt. Lt. (Ret.), Royal Canadian Legion member,
died peacefully in his Victoria, BC home March 19, 2007 at the age of 84.
Born August 21, 1922 in Kilmartin, Scotland, Alastair never lost his love
for Scotland and all things Scottish. As part of the WWII effort, he served
with the RAF as a pilot in Burma, France, Germany, the South Pacific, and
Britain, and as O/C of a POW camp. Memories of training in Canada led to his
eventual immigration to Ontario in 1963 with his wife Catriona and four
children. After a time in Vancouver, and many happy years in Prince George,
he retired to Qualicum Beach in 1986. There he fulfilled his lifelong dream
of playing the bagpipes, and enjoying many hobbies including painting and
model trains. Alastair's life was about faithfulness and relationships,
always focusing on the Lord God. He will be remembered for his colourful
expressions in Gaelic, quoting Robbie Burns, and smiling with that twinkle
in his eye. Our Lord has taken him home, rejoining him with his wives
Catriona and Lynda Oggie". His nurturing will be missed by his four
children: Flora, Iain (Connie), Catriona (James), and Alastair (Judy);
fourteen grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. There will be a
funeral service and brief reception at Knox Presbyterian Church, 2964
Richmond Road, Victoria, BC, Friday, March 23, 2007, 10am. Interment will be
at 3pm, at Qualicum Beach Cemetery, 867 Jones St. and a celebration of
Alastair's life will follow at St. Columba Presbyterian Church, 921 Wembley
Road, Parksville, BC. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Victoria Hospice
Foundation would be appreciated (250-952-5720). 350493
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/21/2007 - 3/23/2007.

MANHAS, Durgi Kaur Born January 1, 1909 in Panjour, India passed away
peacefully surrounded by family on March 14, 2007. Predeceased by her
husband, Ujagar Singh, three sons, Sarban, Frank and Googie and daughter
Charney. Survived by her son Bunt; daughters Jeto (Russell), Jaswant
(Sarabjit); daughter-in-law Johnette; and loving granddaughter Janik;
grandchildren and great grandchildren. The family would like to thank Dr.
Edora and the caregivers from Beacon Home Services for their compassionate
care. Funeral services will be held on Saturday, March 24th at 10am at First
Memorial Funeral Services, 4725 Falaise Drive, Victoria, BC . To honor her
passing and celebrate her life Bhog Services will be held at the Sikh
Temple, 1210 Topaz Avenue on Thursday March 22, thru Saturday March 24. We
love you and will miss you 349780
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/17/2007 - 3/23/2007.

MARTIN, Patrick Waldyve (Pat) Born May 6th, 1915. Passed away on March 17th,
2007. Predeceased by his wife Daphne (nee Hemmel) and brother Dermot.
Lovingly remembered by his children Evan (Jan), Sue Hawes, Alan (Julie
Harris), Robert (Stephanie), his grandchildren Alex, Michael, Joanne and
Shay, his niece Penny Fleetwood (Wally), and nephew Patrick Martin (Lee).
Pat was brought up in Victoria. After graduating from officers training at
Royal Roads in 1941, he served in the RCNVR aboard Corvettes in the North
Atlantic during WW2. He met and married the love of his life Daphne in
Halifax in 1945 and returned to attend UBC. He graduated with a degree in
Biology in 1950 becoming one of the first wildlife biologists employed by
the province of British Columbia. As a wildlife manager he worked throughout
BC (Kamloops, Victoria, Prince George) and overseas (Uganda and Zambia). Pat
had a life long passion for his family (including his pet dogs), wildlife
and the ocean. He retired to Telkwa to commercial fish out of Prince Rupert,
to Sointula to sail, and finally to Victoria to be closer to his family and
grandchildren. Pat sustained family and a wide network of friends with his
kindness, healthy attitude and common sense. The family is extremely
grateful for the care provided by Dr. Ken Chan. No service by request. In
lieu of flowers, donations in Pat's name may be made to the Nature Trust of
BC for the Ian McTaggart Cowan Scholarship in Environmental Studies at UVIc
(info@ naturetrust.bc.ca or 1-866-288-7878). 350376
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/21/2007 - 3/23/2007.

MASSICK, Mary Jane Born August 1, 1936 in Victoria, BC passed away at home
on March 19, 2007. Predeceased by her husband, Albert Harold on May 10,
1998; Mary leaves behind her five children: daughters, Marlene Davis of
Victoria, Lorraine Steele of Baltimore, Maryland and Barbara Hoffman of Port
Angeles; sons, Albert Massick of Victoria and Gordon Massick of Nanaimo;
thirteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Mary will be sadly
missed by all who knew and loved her. There will be no funeral service at
Mary's request. Flowers are gratefully declined. Donations to the S.P.C.A.
in Mary's name would be appreciated. A gathering will be held at 589 Hallsor
Dr., Colwood, BC on Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 4:00 p.m. Condolences may be
offered to the family at www.mccallbros.com 350656
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/22/2007 - 3/23/2007.

MICKELSON, Harvey Harvey left us on March 20, 2007 going on to the next
stage of his spiritual journey. He leaves to remember him with abiding love,
his wife, Norma; son, Rick; daughter, Ann; daughter-inlaw, Lynne;
son-in-law, Mike; four grandchildren, Ty (Joanna), Larla (Rob), Caleb and
Galen; one great-grandson, Spencer; brother and sister-inlaw, Cecil and
Agnes in Ontario; brother-and sister-in-law, Elmer and Donna Matthews in
Parksville; niece Karen Severson (Ron) in Cobble Hill; nephew, Dan Fraser;
gardening pal and faithful friend, Robert Bishop and several nieces, nephews
and cousins. Harvey was born in Roblin, Manitoba in 1915, coming to Victoria
as a young lad where he grew up with his parents, Edith and Peter and his
brother and sisters, Vivian, Pearl, Ada, Ivy and Cora. He attended Victoria
High School, Victoria College and UBC where he earned his Bachelor and
Masters of Social Work. He also did postgraduate work at the University of
Washington in Seattle. For over twenty-two years, Harvey was in charge of
Special Education in the Greater Victoria School District. He served
overseas in the Army during the second World War and was active in and
supporter of many charities including the Canadian Mental Health
Association, Amnesty International and Saanich Greenbelt. He loved dancing,
reading, gardening and the time spent helping Ivy in the early days of her
bookstore. He was a charter member of the Young People's Society of the
Victoria Truth Centre where he made lifelong friends, many of whom have
predeceased him. He will always be remembered as a person of the highest
integrity and selfless generosity and as a gentleman in the true sense of
the word. The family is deeply grateful to Dr. Lisa Veres and to the staff
at Broadmead Lodge for their kind and generous care. If desired,
contributions in Harvey's memory would be appreciated given to The Lodge at
Broadmead Foundation, 4579 Chatterton Way, Victoria, BC, V8X 4Y7. A Memorial
Service honouring Harvey's life will be held at MCCALL BROS. FLORAL CHAPEL,
Johnson & Vancouver Streets, on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 3:30 pm with a
reception to follow in the Graham and Torrey McCall Family Centre.
Condolences may be offered to the family at www.mccallbros.com 350557
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/21/2007 - 3/23/2007.

NICKERSON, Muriel Peacefully on March 21, 2007 at Glengarry Hospital, Muriel
Beatrice Nickerson (nee Thibeault), aged 87. As a child in Depression-era
Alberta, Muriel learned early a determination to face challenges with
optimism and strength. This served her well when she lost her husband
(D'Arcy) while still in her 30's and her daughter (Elizabeth) in 2001. Her
sunny disposition, her forgiveness and her boundless affection are
remembered by the hundreds of students she taught at Beaver Lake, George Jay
and Oaklands elementary schools; and later, by the patients and staff at
Glengarry. Muriel will be sadly missed by her loving son Clint and
daughter-in-law Alisa (Kerr), only surviving sister, Iona Robinson and her
family, and the close friends she had kept for many years. A memorial
service will be held Monday, March 26th at 11:00 at First Memorial Chapel,
1155 Fort St. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Greater
Victoria Eldercare Foundation and/ or Glengarry Hospital whose staff have
offered so much care and support to Muriel during the past 10 years. As
always, in return, she offered a unique kindness and brightness that
continues to be an inspiration to us all. 351336
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

OLSON, Eric On March 15, 2007 with family by his side, Eric Aner Olson
passed away peacefully in his 89th year. He was predeceased by his loving
wife Lillian, sister Esther (Franklin) and brother Edwin. He is survived by
his loving daughter Lorelei, sons Pat (Kathy) and Einar, and grandchildren
Eric, Kyle, Jaryd and Caitlin. Eric is also survived by brother Ed (Ruth
deceased) and sisters Elsie (Gardar deceased), Elverna (Ole), and
sister-in-law Ella, and many other relatives and friends. He was very proud
of his Swedish heritage. He loved to play his accordions and Hawaiian guitar
along with fellow musicians. He enjoyed his vegetable garden and loved
traditional foods. The family would like to thank the Home Support workers,
and the staff at Victoria General, Gorge Road, and Mt. Tolmie Hospitals for
their compassionate care of our Dad and Grandpa. A celebration of Eric's
life will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made
to a charity of one's choice. "We will miss you Dad and Grandpa, and you
will remain in our hearts forever." 351478
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

PARKINSON, Phyllis Irene "Ruth" May 18, 1920 March 4, 2007 It is with great
sadness that we announce the sudden passing of "RUTH" as she was lovingly
known, on March 4, 2007, following a brief illness at Victoria General Hosp
at age 86. She passed peacefully into God's loving arms, surrounded by her
loved ones, with "Amazing Grace" playing on the radio as she took her last
breath. What a fitting tribute to this special loving, gentle soul. She
loved her Lord with all her heart and walked closely with Him all her life,
trusting Him to provide her needs. Ruth had a way about her that touched all
those she came in contact with. She will be remembered for her unwavering
faith, unconditional love, sense of humour, quick wit, and hearty laughter.
Her servant's heart, optimism, strength of character and determination, was
an inspiration to us all. Ruth's passions were gardening, music, traveling,
nature and watching sports. She served as a WAC in the Second World War
receiving several medals for exemplary duty. After the war, which took the
life of her fiance, a pilot, she devoted her life to helping others. It was
then that she moved in with her fiance's family to help his parents care for
his little sister Beth, a task that she did with much love and dedication
till her dying day. In her younger years Ruth worked in extended care
hospitals as a Licensed Practical Nurse. After her third spinal fusion that
was no longer an option, she spent the next 20 some years working for Dr's
Spicer and Michael Greenwood in their medical practice. She will be greatly
missed by her little "sister" Beth, and her family Jo-Ann (Lyall) with whom
she resided for over 24 years, and Cora (Dale), grandchildren Jackie (Kris),
Debbie (Rod), Charlene and Tara, and great grandchildren Dallas, Cassidy,
Brodie, Olivia, Jaxon and Colton. Her grandchildren and great grandchildren
were the joy of her life and we will all miss her warm hugs, homemade
Chocolate Chip Cookies, Lemon Snow Pudding with yummy Custard Sauce, and the
best Apple Pie we ever tasted. Predeceased by her parents Edna and John
Parkinson and two brothers Ronald and Howard. She will also be lovingly
remembered and missed by her surviving sisters Audrey Hubbard (Victoria),
Beverly Peters (Chemainus), and Donna Gaudon (Victoria), and many nieces and
nephews. A very special thanks to Dr. Don Lovely and the wonderful nurses at
Victoria General Hospital 6A Neurology for their kind and compassionate
care. You made a heart breaking difficult time, much more bearable and
easier to accept. A memorial service to honor Ruth's life will be held on
Friday, March 30 at 2PM at First Memorial Funeral Services, 4725 Falaise Dr.
(Royal Oak) with a reception to follow. 350430
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

PASS, Irena Blanch (Honey) nee Burkmar February 12, 1914 March 19, 2007 It
is with sadness that we announce the peaceful passing of our wonderful mum,
Honey Pass. Born in Fauquier, BC. She was predeceased by her husband Arthur
(1996) and her brothers Ted and Jim. She is survived by her brother Dick
(Netta) Burkmar; her children Barry (friend Gloria), Norman (Jean) and
Louise; grandchildren, Rick, Christina, Steve, Darren (Hali), Dennis,
Jennifer (Erin) and Tina (Justin) and special family member, Tish,
greatgrandchildren, Cole, Zackary, Nicholas, Airilee and Thorson and nieces
and nephews. Mum was a kind and gentle soul who dearly loved her family. She
was always there to help her husband, Arthur, in his construction business
and to make a fun and loving home. She loved entertaining, shopping and
working in her beautiful flower gardens. In later years, Honey and Art
enjoyed fishing, motor homing and cruising with the family. She will be
dearly missed by all who knew and loved her. Special thanks to Dr. Domke for
his compassionate care and the staff at Parkwood Court and Glengarry
Hospital. In lieu of flowers the family requests that you donate to a
charity of your choice. A Memorial Service will be held at MCCALL BROS.
FLORAL CHAPEL, Johnson & Vancouver Streets, Victoria, BC on Monday, March
26, 2007 at 3:00 pm with The Reverend Dr. Gail Schultz officiating.
Condolences may be offered to the family at www.mccallbros.com 350874
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
PHILLIPS, Ida Margaret There is a link, death can not sever, Love and
remembrance lasts forever. Sadly missed. Ed, family and friends. 348829
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

REID, Douglas Charles Thomas September 03, 1924 March 17, 2007 Doug had a
long, full and wonderfully varied life. He was born in Vancouver, B.C. and
spent many years in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver and in Richmond, B.C. As
a boy, Doug displayed natural talent in all areas of athletics. He went on
to become a skilled equestrian, downhill skier, ice skater, and tennis,
hockey, rugby, and football player. He is famous for his rugby ('rugger')
and football prowess, at Kitsilano High School, and at the University of
British Columbia. He was the 1944 recipient of the Howie McPhee Trophy for
best rugby player. In 1944, Doug joined the Royal Canadian Navy, during the
'hostilities' of the Second World War. He served aboard the ships H.M.C.S
Discovery, Protector, and Algonquin between 1944 and 1946, and saw active
duty in the Mediterranean. After the war, Doug continued with professional
sports, and was especially proud of his football years, forming the first
B.C. Lions team in 1954, and later playing for the Calgary Stampeders. He
was inducted into the U.B.C. Sport Hall of Fame in 1995. In 2004, his name
was entered onto the B.C. Lions' "Wall of Fame." During the post-war years,
Doug trained as a teacher, and completed his B.A. at the University of
British Columbia in 1949. He began working for the Vancouver School Board in
1952 and continued that work for the next 37 years. During that time, he
taught Elementary school for two years, Secondary school for 13 years, and
was in Administrative positions for five years, including one year as
interim Head of Student Services. He completed his M.A. at Simon Fraser
University in 1976. The rest of his school working years were spent as a
skilled and highly respected Elementary School Area Counsellor. He
especially loved his work training teachers, and was admired for his group
counselling work with children. His education career ended after a number of
years in Vancouver's particularly challenging east-side and inner-city
schools. He retired in 1989. Doug is also well-known in B.C. Equestrian
circles. He was actively involved in a wide variety of equestrian
activities, from pleasure and competitive riding, to raising, breeding and
showing horses. He actively supported Pony Clubs and Young Riders groups,
and worked for many years as a Canadian Equestrian Federation Judge. He was
especially proud of his daughter Leslie Reid, delighted in supporting her
throughout his life, and thrilled to watch her develop into a highly
accomplished dressage rider, keen competitor, and talented riding
instructor. Doug moved to Maple Bay, Vancouver Island, 15 years ago with his
wife, Joanna Neilson, and their daughter, Caitlin Reid. There he enjoyed a
number of years of good health, and was actively involved in Tai Chi,
horse-show judging, bicycle riding, gardening, and sailing, He also enjoyed
camping, holidaying in Mexico, whale-watching, garage 'sale-ing', attending
auctions and symphony concerts, drinking Spanish coffees, and doing
crossword puzzles. For the past 18 years, Doug delighted in being an
'at-home dad'. He took extraordinary pleasure and pride in watching his
daughter, Caitlin, grow and become an amazing, kind, gracious, intelligent
and multi-talented young lady. Doug's last 10 years were marred by declining
health, and the many tediums, frustrations, disappointments and limitations
of deteriorating mental and physical abilities. After a courageous and
tumultuous 10-year struggle with Lewy Body Syndrome, he was recently
suddenly stricken with a very aggressive form of cancer. He passed away at
his home with Joanna and Caitlin by his side. We know that Doug joins with
us in extending our heart-felt thanks to the 'cast of hundreds' who have
cared for him and supported us over the past decade. Thanks to all the
medical and other professional support workers who helped Doug be as well as
possible, as independent as possible, as happy as possible, and at home as
long as possible. Doug will be remembered for his dry humour, his quiet,
gentle, kind and generous personality, his positive attitude, his love of
family, his storytelling, his love of dancing, his passion for native art
and culture, and his many interests, skills, talents and life
accomplishments. He is survived by his wife, Joanna, his daughters, Caitlin
and Leslie, and his brother, Don, and by many extended family members.
Donations in Doug's memory may be sent to the Providence Community
Association Therapeutic Riding Program, or to the Cowichan Rugby Club.
Flowers are gratefully declined. A celebration of Doug's amazing life will
take place on Saturday, March 31st at 6636 Pemberlea Road, Duncan, (turn
left off Maple Bay Road) with an informal gathering and openhouse between
noon and 6 p.m. "Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining
bright; The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light, And
somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout; But there is no
joy in Mudville... Mighty Casey has struck out! " 351046
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

(Memoriam)
RHYMER, Roy Bennett December 7, 1923 March 23, 1996. In loving memory Dad,
If only to see your face we wait with grace If only to hear your voice we
have no other choice. But wait. 351078
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

STOKES, Margaret (Maggie) Jean Passed away at home on March 15, 2007. Born
in Vancouver on April 4, 1948. She is survived by her sons, Sandy and Randy,
both of Calgary; her brother, Michael Carey and family (Valerie, Andrea,
Colleen and Mark); and special friend, Paul Pacheco. Cremation entrusted to
Royal Oak Burial Park. Rest in Peace 351287
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

STREET, Frank Sheridan Born on April 20, 1940 in Ocean Falls, BC, passed
away in Victoria, BC on Sunday, March 19, 2007. Predeceased by his parents,
Frank and Helen Street and his daughter, Jennifer Lynn. Left to cherish his
memory are his son, David Street (Alisa) of Victoria, BC; daughter, Karen
Greenwood (David) of Strongfield, SK; grandchildren, Derrick and Breanna
Street and Jennifer, Billy and Jessica Greenwood and brother, Ernest Street
(Pat) of Burnaby, BC. A gathering for family and friends will be held to
celebrate Sheridan's life on Saturday, March 24, 2007 at 2:00 pm in Sequoia
Gardens Memorial, 4665 Falaise Drive, Victoria, BC. In lieu of flowers
donations may be made to the Canadian Cancer Society. 350653
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist from 3/22/2007 - 3/23/2007.

STUBBE, Michael March 15, 1951 March 3, 2007 Passed away suddenly, a humble,
gentle man and precious friend. Lovingly remembered by his Anawim family and
many friends in Victoria. Private Memorial service Saturday, March 24, 1:00
PM at Anawim House, 973 Caledonia Ave., V8T 1E7. Internment Monday, March
26, 1:00 PM at Hatley Memorial Gardens, 2050 Sooke Rd. In lieu of flowers
donations to Anawim House gratefully accepted. 351315
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

VAUGHAN, Barbara December 16, 1939 March 20, 2007 After a brave and strong
fight, Barbara passed away at her home with her family by her side. She was
predeceased by her husband George Richard Vaughan, the love of her life.
Survived by her devoted family; brother Stephen (Ginger) Queale, daughters
Lorie (Noel) and Cathy (Jeff), grandchildren Brad (Sarina), Spencer, Jayme,
and Tyler. Her generous and caring nature will be missed by her family and
friends, from Alaska to Costa Rica. Service details to follow. The family
would like to acknowledge the great care given by all. We ask that any
donations be made to BC Cancer Foundation at: BC Cancer Foundation, Suite
200 601 West Broadway Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4C2 or online at
www.bccancer.bc.ca/DON/give.htm God saw her getting tired A cure was not to
be. He put his arms around her Then whispered come with me" With tears in
our eyes we watched her Suffer and fade away......... Tho' we loved her
dearly, We could not make her stay. Her BIG, golden heart stopped beating,
Hard working hands were put to rest. GOD allowed our hearts to be broken To
prove HE ONLY TAKES THE BEST." 351373
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

WAITE, William Barrie December 12, 1937 March 20, 2007 Our father and
husband, an inspiration to many, passed away at Victoria General Hospital on
March 20, 2007. His death was as a result of recent causes, short and
struggle free. He is remembered as a husband, father, uncle, grandfather and
friend dedicated to traditional Canadian values. His professional life,
latest as CEO of Siemens Canada, impacted the lives of thousands. His
passion towards Canada as a nation and the people who make it great saw him
commit inexhaustible energy towards attracting trade partners and foreign
investment, advising political leaders and lobbying educational policy
makers towards the need for investing in our youth and establishing
effective trade apprenticeship programs. His intelligence, vision and
beliefs served as a compass to many in making difficult decisions.
Ironically, his strength and perseverance drained his body's ability to
resist illness first suffering from cancer then complications from a brain
injury. We are saddened by his passing but also happy for his spiritual
freedom from the shackles of the inflicted handicaps. Never a man to put
himself before others and a devoted family man, he will remain in our hearts
forever. There will be a service to celebrate Bill's life at Gateway Baptist
Church, 898 Royal Oak Ave., Victoria, BC on March 24th at 2PM. Donations in
lieu of flowers can be made to the Broadmead lodge in Victoria, Bill's home
for the past few years. 351522
Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist on 3/23/2007.

This thread: