CAPPS-L Archives

Archiver > CAPPS > 1998-11 > 0911861932

From: Roy C. Leggitt< >
Subject: Re: John CAPPS
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:58:52 GMT

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:37:05 -0600, Jim and Terri Tait
<>wrote:

>Looking for info on John CAPPS, RW soldier, 1782. Married Jane?. Lived in
>Sumter and Camden/Kershaw District, SC. Had eleven children. Known Males: Samuel, b.c. 1770, migrated to TX; Matthew, b.c. 1780; Adam b.c. 1790, migrated to Montgomery Co, AL; James W., b.c. 1791, migrated to Montgomery (1830)/Coffee(1850)/Pike(1860) Co, AL. Does anyone have info on any of the other seven children?

For a while I thought Adam Capps was the father of my William E. Capps.
However, I think I disproved it.

In any case, the following may be of interest to Capps researchers:

Descendants of Capps

First Generation

1.Capps.
There is no positive proof that Ransom, William, and Martha Ann are
siblings. However, Barbara Trammell told me the following in a letter
dated 22 September 1992:
"Many years ago I made contact with a lady in Cleveland Co., AR who
states that Martha Ann Capps was William E.'s sister, and in the 1850
Bradley Co., AR census there is Ransom W. living with Martha Ann and her
family. It all ties in, all three born in SC, all three living in
Alabama, and all three coming to Bradley Co., AR at the same time."
There is a family story told to me by an unrelated Capps acquaintance
that the name began as Bonnet(sp?) which is French for hat, and they
Anglicized it to Capp or Capps.

CAPPS listed in Montgomery Co., AL 1850 census.
Adam Capps 60 farmer born SC
Harriet 50 SC
Maragaret 19
Lucy 13
Joseph 6
Daniel 4

Samuel 29 born SC
Mary 29
Eli A. 12
Mary 10
Jane Young 25

Also found a reference to a will for Adam in a will book for 1840-54,
Montgomery Co., AL.

This is interesting since William E. Capps, born 1824 in SC named two of
his daughters Margaret and Lucy. Also, William would have been only 26
in 1850, meaning the above Adam and Harriet would have been aged 34 and
24 at his birth.

However, in May 1995 I obtained a copy of the 14 Dec 1852 Adam Capps
will and it mentioned only wife Harriet; adult son Samuel; minor sons
Joseph J. and Daniel C.; adult daughters Rachel M., Jane C., Harriet,
Maria, and Sarah; and minor daughters Margaret and Nicey. (Apparently I
had misread the Nicey in the 1850 census as Lucy.)

He had the following children:
+2Mi.Ransom W. Capps.
+3Mii.William E. Capps was born 11 Feb
1824 and died 21 Nov 1898.
4Fiii.Martha Ann Capps was born in , ,
South Carolina.

According to Barbara Trammell (Sept 1992), Martha and John named their
first boy James, possibly after Martha's father.
Martha married John H. Wright.

Second Generation

2.Ransom W. Capps () was born in , , South Carolina.
He had the following children:
5Fi.M. Alice Capps was born 1862 in
, , Arkansas.
According to Barbara Trammell (in Sept 1992): There is a lady, Mildred
Morgan, Rt 7 #41, Niven Drive, Pine Bluff, AR 71603 who is related to
Ransom W. Capps. Mildred comes through Ransom W.'s first child, M. Alice
Capps, born 1862 in AR, married David Young May.
M. Alice Capps married David Young May.

3.William E. Capps () was born 11 Feb 1824 in , Edgefield Dist.,
South Carolina. He died 21 Nov 1898.
Source: Index to Mexican War Pension Files, 1989.
CAPPS, William, Elizabeth D., WC-11721, 14 Jan 1899 & SC-13468, both TX,
srv Curtis' Co 1st AL Vols as Pvt.
Sources: 1887 Mexican War Pension Affidavit of Claimant's Infirmity for
pension certificate 13468.
On 24 December 1887, William Capps, a resident of Vernon, Wilbarger
County, Texas applied for a Mexican war pension. He said he served as a
private in the company commanded by Captain James M. Curtis, in the
first regiment of the Alabama Volunteers, commanded by Colonel P. H.
Raiford, in the war with Mexico.
He enlisted at Montgomery, Alabama on 1 May 1846 for the term of six
months, and was honorably discharged at Mobile, Alabama, on 10 August
1846. He stated that after enlisting at Montgomery he was tranported to
Brazos Island and was on 4 July 1846 marched to Buneta, Mexico. The
application also indicated he had received land warrants for service in
the war with Mexico for one year in 1846 and one in 1856. Certificate
13468 was granted to him. The amount was $8.00 a month. Family lore says
his "cousin" President Zachary Taylor arranged this pension. I have
never found any genealogical connection between these two; however,
Zachary Taylor was known as "Old Rough and Ready" during the Mexican
War. Possibly there was a personal relationship between the two.
He applied for an increase to $12.00 a month on 16 February 1893 when he
declared he was wholly disabled for manual labor by reason of old age
and crippled - having had left knee thrown out of place and left leg
broken about two inches above the knee. He also indicated he was
suffering from heart disease which became so aggravated that he had been
forbidden by physician to wholly abstain from strong food, drinks, and
tobacco. Apparently he was not granted the increase.
Apparently he needed the certificate in 1893 for the above. There is a
series of five very interesting affidavits. Jennie West, his eighteen
year old daughter, stated that William and E. D. Capps separated in
about 4th November 1889 and ceased to live together as man and wife. He
said Elizabeth had kept it after the separation. She said her daughter
had sent it to him. A neighbor said she had seen him with it in
February 1891 when he was very much intoxicated and was on his way to
Arkansas. In Elizabeth's affidavit, she said they had had fifteen
children.
Copies of these applications and affidavits were provided to me by Mrs.
Barbara Trammell.

Here is an interesting message I received from Frances Thomas (Prodigy
BDFC85A) on 05/12/92

Roy,
Your post caught my eye because I have been interested in the Capps
families in Ark. and Tex. Larkin Capps who d. in 1846 in Crawford Co.,
Ark., had a son, John N. Capps who was b. 1827 in Crawford Co., Ark.,
shows up in Grayson Co., Tex. in 1870, and then is in Montague Co., Tex.
in 1880. John N. Capps d. in 1896. He and his wife Lucy J. Capps are
buried in the Dundee Cemetery in Archer Co., Tex.
Carson W. Capps was a son of John N. and Lucy J. Capps, and both
Carson and his wife died in Wilbarger Co., Tex., of which Vernon is the
county seat. So there are some similarities in migration patterns
between your William E. Capps and those that I have been researching.

There was a Ransom Capps in Bradley Co., Ark. at the same time as
your William E. (both on the 1850 census). In the 1860 census index,
William E. is still there, but Ransom is gone. Apparently he moved to
Mason Co., Tex., because while living there he applied for a
Confederate pension, (application # 18091).

It would be interesting to know if there was some connection
between William E., Ransom, and John N. Capps.
Frances in TX

Here is another message that hints of a connection:

To: DWHW06A Roy Leggitt Date: 2/22/95 From:
TPRG23A Lloyd Bashaw Time: 10:40AM ET
Roy, is it possible that your William E. Capps was William Capps, III?
The following info is excerpted from "Henderson County Heritage - North
Carolina Vol. I":

William Capps, Sr. - b. 1761 d. 1847 m. Nancy Cooksey 1791. Their
children were Cornelius, William, Jr., John, Elizabeth, Matthew, Enoch,
Hannah, Nancy, Lucina, Sarah, Rebecca, and Mary. The first four were
born in Edgefield and Greenville Counties. William, Jr. was born in 1793
and died in 1856 (?). No further info about him is given in this book.
William, Sr. fought in the Battle of Cowpens in South Carolina under
Gen. Daniel Morgan where they defeated the British. 1790 census records
in Edgefield county listed five Capps families: Matthew, William,
Barney, Michael, and Greenberry.
William, Sr. and his son Matthew are my ancestors. If you would like to
research the Henderson County Capps families further, please E-mail me.

Lloyd

The Arkansas Land Records indicate:
CAPPS, WILLIAM E. Cleveland County 11 10S 11W 80 1860/03/01

(This is my ancestor - I have clipped a lot here that is just family
lore.)

William and Elizabeth had the following children:
6Fi.Margaret Catherine Capps was
born 6 Feb 1854 in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas. She died 8 Feb
1924 in New Edinburg, Cleveland Co. and was buried 9 Feb 1924 in New
Edinburg, Cleveland Co..
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Margaret married John Howell Hollis on 23 Dec 1877 in Dorsey Co., Ar.
John was born 6 Oct 1838 in Marion Co., Ga. He died 7 Nov 1905 in New
Edinburg, Cleveland, Arkansas.
7Mii.William D. Capps was born 1858
in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas. He died after 1911.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
William was in Los Angeles, CA when his mother died in 1911.
A William Dearwood Capps is listed in the Texas Death Index as dying in
Limestone County, October 3, 1930, index number 49679. Limestone County
is about 30 miles ESE of Waco.
8Fiii.Lucy Graham Capps was born 6 Feb
1862 in , Bradley, Arkansas. She died 16 Apr 1947 and was buried in
Pioneer Cemetery, Hext, , Oklahoma.
Source: Leggitt family records.
Birth: AFN:2J2J-48 indicates birth 1862 in Bradley, AK.
Birth: AF83-002949 indicates 1862 in Cleveland, AK. However, Cleveland
County was formed from Bradley county in 1873.

(Lucy is my great grandmother. Again, I have clipped the family lore.)

9Fiv.Dora Capps was born about 1870
in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas. She died after 1911.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Dora was living at 1700 May Street, Fort Worth, TX in 1911 when her
mother died there.
Dora married J. P. Casey on 4 Mar 1890.
10Fv.Jennie Erwin Capps was born
about 1872 in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Jennie was married to Luther Moss and lived in Kingfisher, OK when her
mother died in 1911.
Jennie married (1) William Walter West on 21 Oct 1888.
Jennie also married (2) Luther Moss.
11Fvi.Estell E. Capps was born about
1873 in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas. She died after 1911.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Estell married T. W. Wellington.
12Mvii.Andrew Garland Capps was born
about 1875 in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas. He died after 1911.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Was in the Boxer Rebellion in China in 1903.
He was in the Phillipine Islands in 1911 when his mother died.
Andrew married Maggie Monroe on 26 Dec 1895 in , Wilbarger, Texas.
13Mviii.Russell Capps was born about
1876 in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Russell was in Lamar, CO when his mother died in 1911.
14Fix.Ollie A. Capps was born about
1878 in Lee Township, Cleveland, Arkansas.
Source: Obtained from Billie Frank Trammell on 8 Nov 1990. Based on
1860 census Bradley Co., AK, 1880 Cleveland Co., AK, 1900 Census
Oklahoma Co, OK, Cass Twp. Personal knowledge of Mabel Trammell, New
Edinburg, Cleveland, AK.
Ollie was living in Columbus, OH when her mother died in 1911.
Ollie married Joseph Baer.

If anyone knows of my William E. Capps' ancestry, I would really
appreciate you sharing it with me.

Roy Leggitt, full-time RVer back in California for a while.

This thread: