CAPPS-L Archives

Archiver > CAPPS > 2008-01 > 1199976243

From: "Roy Leggitt" <>
Subject: [CAPPS] William Erwin Capps 1824=1898
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:44:03 -0700

Beckie asked, so here is my most distant Capps ancestor:

William Erin Capps, born 11 Feb 1824 in Edgefield District, SC. Died 21 Nov
1898 somewhere in Arkansas. Here are my notes on him:

William E. Capps is listed in the 1850 Census for Smith Township, Bradley
County, Arkansas as an overseer on the farm of Joseph M. Merriweather farm
at dwelling 393. He was 26 and born in South Carolina. (His possible brother
Ransom is listed as a farmer in dwelling 408 and his future wife Elizabeth
is in dwelling 380.)

The 1860 Census for Warren Township, Bradley County, Arkansas, taken on 7
July 1860 lists:

William E. Capps36Farmer$1000$500SC
Elizabeth23MS
Margaret C. 7AR
William D. 2AR

According to Southern Arkansas Biographical and Historical Memoirs, in 1873
the first term of the circuit court of Dorsey (now Cleveland) County was
convened. W. E. Capps was a member of the grand jury.

The 1880 Census for Lee Township, Dorsey County, Arkansas, taken on 17 June
1880 lists:

Wm. E. Capps56SelfFarmerSCNCSC
Elizabeth43WifeKeepingMS --GA
Lucy18DauTeacherARSCMS >> my
great grandmother
Dora10DauTeacherARSCMS
Jennie 8DauARSCMS
Estell E. 7DauARSCMS
Garland 5SonARSCMS
R. D. 4SonARSCMS
Olla A. 2DauARSCMS

Source: Index to Mexican War Pension Files, 1989.

CAPPS, William, Elizabeth D., WC-11721, 14 Jan 1899 & SC-13468, both TX, srv
Curtis' Co 1st AL Vols as Pvt.

Sources: 1887 Mexican War Pension Affidavit of Claimant's Infirmity for
pension certificate 13468.

On 24 December 1887, William Capps, a resident of Vernon, Wilbarger County,
Texas applied for a Mexican war pension. He said he served as a private in
the company commanded by Captain James M. Curtis, in the first regiment of
the Alabama Volunteers, commanded by Colonel P. H. Raiford, in the war with
Mexico.

He enlisted at Montgomery, Alabama on 1 May 1846 for the term of six
months, and was honorably discharged at Mobile, Alabama, on 10 August 1846.
He stated that after enlisting at Montgomery he was transported to Brazos
Island and was on 4 July 1846 marched to Buneta, Mexico. The application
also indicated he had received land warrants for service in the war with
Mexico for one year in 1846 and one in 1856. Certificate 13468 was granted
to him. The amount was $8.00 a month. Family lore says his "cousin"
President Zachary Taylor arranged this pension. I have never found any
genealogical connection between these two; however, Zachary Taylor was known
as "Old Rough and Ready" during the Mexican War. Possibly there was a
personal relationship between the two.

He applied for an increase to $12.00 a month on 16 February 1893 when he
declared he was wholly disabled for manual labor by reason of old age and
crippled - having had left knee thrown out of place and left leg broken
about two inches above the knee. He also indicated he was suffering from
heart disease which became so aggravated that he had been forbidden by
physician to wholly abstain from strong food, drinks, and tobacco.
Apparently he was not granted the increase.

Apparently he needed the certificate in 1893 for the above. There is a
series of five very interesting affidavits. Jennie West, his eighteen year
old daughter, stated that William and E. D. Capps separated in about 4th
November 1889 and ceased to live together as man and wife. He said Elizabeth
had kept it after the separation. She said her daughter had sent it to him.
A neighbor said she had seen him with it in February 1891 when he was very
much intoxicated and was on his way to Arkansas. In Elizabeth's affidavit,
she said they had had fifteen children.

Southern Arkansas Biographical and Historical Memoirs, Biographical and
Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas 1890, Chapter 25, Cleveland County,
page 595 has the following: The first term of the circuit court of Dorsey
(now Cleveland) County convened Tuesday, July 8, 1873. The county was then,
as now, in the Tenth Judicial District and Hon. Henry B. Morse was then
Judge. The grand jurors summoned to serve at that term included W. E. Capps.
He was on the first panel.

Here is an interesting message I received from Frances Thomas (Prodigy
BDFC85A) on 05/12/92

Roy,
Your post caught my eye because I have been interested in the Capps
families in Ark. and Tex. Larkin Capps who d. in 1846 in Crawford Co.,
Ark., had a son, John N. Capps who was b. 1827 in Crawford Co., Ark., shows
up in Grayson Co., Tex. in 1870, and then is in Montague Co., Tex. in 1880.
John N. Capps d. in 1896. He and his wife Lucy J. Capps are buried in the
Dundee Cemetery in Archer Co., Tex.
Carson W. Capps was a son of John N. and Lucy J. Capps, and both Carson
and his wife died in Wilbarger Co., Tex., of which Vernon is the county
seat. So there are some similarities in migration patterns between your
William E. Capps and those that I have been researching.
There was a Ransom Capps in Bradley Co., Ark. at the same time as your
William E. (both on the 1850 census). In the 1860 census index, William E.
is still there, but Ransom is gone. Apparently he moved to Mason Co., Tex.,
because while living there he applied for a Confederate pension,
(application # 18091).
It would be interesting to know if there was some connection between
William E., Ransom, and John N. Capps.
Frances in TX

Here is another message that hints of a connection:

To: DWHW06A Roy Leggitt Date: 2/22/95 From: TPRG23A
Lloyd Bashaw Time: 10:40AM ET

Roy, is it possible that your William E. Capps was William Capps, III? The
following info is excerpted from "Henderson County Heritage - North Carolina
Vol. I":

William Capps, Sr. - b. 1761 d. 1847 m. Nancy Cooksey 1791. Their children
were Cornelius, William, Jr., John, Elizabeth, Matthew, Enoch, Hannah,
Nancy, Lucina, Sarah, Rebecca, and Mary. The first four were born in
Edgefield and Greenville Counties. William, Jr. was born in 1793 and died in
1856 (?). No further info about him is given in this book. William, Sr.
fought in the Battle of Cowpens in South Carolina under Gen. Daniel Morgan
where they defeated the British. 1790 census records in Edgefield county
listed five Capps families: Matthew, William, Barney, Michael, and
Greenberry.

William, Sr. and his son Matthew are my ancestors. If you would like to
research the Henderson County Capps families further, please E-mail me.

Lloyd

"Indexes of Edgefield County, S. C., Volume One ~ Probate Records ~"
indicates an estate of Federick Caps administered by Mathew Caps in Apt 36,
Pac 1336. (Estates range from Apt 1 to 75 from 1785 into the 1850s and
1860s.

An interesting fact is that there was a Wm. Capps who was the enumerator in
the Enumeration District #93, Election Prct No 7, 1880 Tarrant County, Texas
Manufacturing Census Schedule. What makes this interesting is that his
daughter Dora was living in Fort Worth, Tarrant County in 1911 when her
mother died there.

Needless to say, any information about my 2nd great grandfather would be
appreciated,

RoadRoy - Full time RVer - tinyurl.com/2t7fst, camped at tinyurl.com/6gqsz.

This thread: