CARGILL-L Archives

Archiver > CARGILL > 2001-11 > 1006541921

From: "Patty B. Myers" <>
Subject: Re: Cornelius Cargill c1680
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:58:41 -0600

My book, "Cargill/Cargile/Cargal of the South and Southwest, Descendants of
Cornelius Cargill of Virginia, John Cargile of Virginia and North Carolina,
John Cargile of Virginia and Georgia, Andrew J. and John Cargal of South
Carolina and Georgia," 1997, Penobscot Press, Rockport, Maine -- shows that
the first wife of Cornelius was probably Widow Roberts (no issue), second
wife was Mary (Lucy) Anderson, d/o Robert Lucy and Sarah (Barker) Taylor and
widow of Thomas Anderson, third wife was Elizabeth Daniel, fourth wife was
Judith (Langford) Walker (no issue), fifth wife was Hannah (?Craddock)
Blanks (no issue), sixth wife was Annie Carroll (no issue). He had two
children by Mary (Lucy) Anderson -- John who m. Rachel Tinsley, and Mary who
m.Thomas Dendy. By Elizabeth Daniel he had Cornelius m. Mary ___; Daniel m.
Mary Allen; James m. Susanna ____; William prob. d.y.; Nancy; Elizabeth m.
Monoah Tinsley.

Sarah Hamlin was the wife of Rev. John Cargill, son of David Cargill and
Janet Smith of Northern Ireland and New Hampshire. Rev. John was the first
of the name to appear in America, coming from Barbadoes to Virginia 1708.
His parents came to Boston 4 Aug 1718 and settled in Londonderry, NH. Sarah
Hamlin was the daughter of John Hamlin and Elizabeth Taylor. She m/1 Micajah
Lowe (no issue). Rev. John Cargill and Cornelius Cargill were
contemporaries in Virginia. I have not been able to find a relationship for
them. I have not been able to find ancestry of Cornelius Cargill or where he
was from.

By 8 Jul 1712 Cornelius Cargill had married Mary (Lucy) Anderson, as on that
date he and wife Mary returned the inventory of Thomas Anderson. On 7, Sept
1712 he was the guardian of Charles and Jean Anderson, children of Thomas
Anderson and Mary Lucy. If he married Widow Roberts before marrying Mary
(Lucy) Anderson, that would put him in Virginia before 1712. It's possible
he married Widow Roberts in between Mary (Lucy) Anderson and Elizabeth
Daniel, but that would take some fast and fancy footwork on his part --- and
he certainly was capable of that! All his wives, except Elizabeth Daniel,
were widows.

John-2 Cargill and Rachel Tinsley had a son Cornelius-3 Cargill b. c1746;
killed by Whigs in spring of 1781; m. c1770 Sarah Wilson (sister of Russell
Wilson). Sarah m/2 Samuel Clary. She was living Jan 10, 1812, when she wrote
a letter to her daughter Tabitha (Cargill) Warner.

My book is sold out, but I plan to reprint when I get enough orders. I need
about 35 more. Price is $42 which includes postage. I have donated copies to
many genealogical societies and libraries across the country. Where do you
live? Maybe there's one near you?

Regards,
Patty Myers

I am related to a Cornelius Cargill. I wonder if it the same one you are
talking about. This one having a grandson named Cornelius Cargill b.1746
d.1781 married to Sarah Harris Clary. And having a son named John Cargill
b.1714 d. 1777 married to Rachel Tinsley. The Cornelius I'm searching had
several wives(Sarah Hamlin, Elizabeth Daniel, Hannah Blanks, and Mary Lucy)
He is from Virginia and born in Scotland or Ireland. I would love to learn
more if you think we are talking about the same person.

This thread: