CARIBBEAN-L Archives

Archiver > CARIBBEAN > 2000-05 > 0958019184

From: "Doneva Shepard" <>
Subject: [CARIBBEAN] Christchurch, Barbados Anglican church
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 21:26:24 -0700

The father of Warren HASTINGS, British Governor General to India was
Penyston HASTINGS. When Warren was born, his mother (wife of Penyston) died
(15 Dec 1732). Penyston was the rector of the Anglican church in Oxford,
England at the time.

Soon after his first wife's death, Penyston m. Mary DANDRIDGE (18 July
1733)(relative of Martha DANDRIDGE, wife of George WASHINGTON). No record of
what happened to this Martha (DANDRIDGE)HASTINGS. I believe she accompanied
him to Barbadoes???

Sometime around 1735, Penyston HASTINGS moved to Barbados and became rector
of Christchurch in Barbados. While there, he m. Jemima Mascoll, 25 Dec 1737
at Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean.

I am looking for death record for Penyston/Penystone/Penniston HASTINGS and
his wife, Jemima MASCOLL. And, did they have any children. Particularly was
there a Peter HASTINGS born during their stay in Barbados...maybe even to
someone other than Penyston and Jemima???

I have been searching to no avail...I'm at a loss where to look anymore.

Doneva Shepard in Gresham, OR USA

This thread: