CARIBBEAN-L Archives

Archiver > CARIBBEAN > 2000-07 > 0963613271

From: "Terry Roberts" <>
Subject: Famous West Indian people?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:21:11 +0100

Hello

Before beginning my search for my ancestors in Jamaica, I would have replied
to this question with the quick and obvious sporting heroes; since they have
already been ably listed by others I would like to amend my response.

Members on this list have been tremendously helpful to me in tracing my 3rd
and 4th Great Grandfathers steps whilst they were in Jamaica. However when I
read with horror that they had kept Slaves and that the slaves were listed
along with their taxable Stock my investigations turned sour.

Therefore my reply now would be that The West Indian People of the slave era
are the FAMOUS People . Their sufferings, hardships and degradation at the
hands of their fellow "human beings" did not subdue them.

Terry in Essex England.

This thread: