CARIBBEAN-L Archives

Archiver > CARIBBEAN > 2003-04 > 1049217673

From: "Ann Whiting" <>
Subject: Re: Irish Slaves
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:21:13 -0800

Edward,
Another thing to consider in this, is that in the beginning of the African
slave trade, the Caribbean was used as a "seasoning" ground for the slave
traders. In the US, newly captured slaves, were more prone to runaway or
revolt, many US plantation owners, did not want new slaves. the islands were
more conducive to a period of training, (language, customs, etc) and
healing, Also, Jamaica and Barbados, was the hub of the slave trade, slaves
were brought there not just for the island work, but sold and shipped to all
parts east, ie. the US and South America.
Toward the end of the capturing in Africa, the trade continued, because the
abolition was on Africa, not on slaves already owned, therefore, slaves
could be sold and transported from the islands to other parts of the world.
As to the Irish, and the large numbers that were said to be removed from
Ireland and transported, if they all did not go to the caribbean, were the
numbers inflated or was 'transportation' a cover-up?
Ann