CARIBBEAN-L Archives

Archiver > CARIBBEAN > 2013-03 > 1363015286

From: Ernest Wiltshire <>
Subject: Re: [Carib] Indentured or Enslaved?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:21:26 -0400

What Jack Fallin says about indentured servants seems correct. However,
the Monmouth rebellion deportees and the Irish deportees were by no
means indentured servants! They were captured and deported as slaves and
had absolutely no rights. There was no end to their captivity, and no
indenture to buy out, and they were sold & resold in the Barbados slave
markets along with African slaves. I suspect they were treated even
worse than the Africans precisely because they were despised low-caste
whites, and worse, Roman Catholics.

I also highly recommend Sean O'Callaghan's book "To Hell or Barbados":
he was able to find most of his information, not in Ireland, but in the
records still held in Barbados. Of the 50,000 Irish captives (almost all
women!) it is even estimated that some 10,000 died on the voyage to
Barbados, so terrible were the on board conditions. And the punishment
for attempting to escape was death. His revelations are truly shocking.

A list of the Monmouth deportees can be found in Hotten's "Original
Lists of Persons of Quality who went from Great Britain to the American
Plantations" pages 314-344.
Ernest Wiltshire

On 13-03-08 6:35 PM, Jack Fallin wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Indentured white servants sent to the Caribbean and to North America cannot, with any real justification, be termed "slaves." While they may have been the victims of some abuse, they were all serving under contracts freely entered into. Absent "unlawful" activity (attempts to skip out, etc.) when their contract was up they were free to go and had access to the courts to enforce common provisions providing them with land or goods upon expiration of the indenture.

This thread: