CARMACK-L Archives

Archiver > CARMACK > 1999-06 > 0929554510

From: "Pat Oneal" <>
Subject: Re: Carmack Roll Call Request
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:35:10 -0400

RE: William Carmack
You'll get other responses on this one. There were TWO--WILLIAM
CARMACKs, cousins. Both were born January 1761. To my knowledge, nobody
has been able to clarify the marriages of the two.
This is how I have them recorded and shall keep it this way until
someone shows proof.

(1) William, b. Jan. 1761, d. Sept. 1851 Lee Co, VA, son of Cornelius, b.
June 1736, d. July 1824. William married Mary Catherine Hartsock.

(2) William, b. Jan 1761, d. Sept. 1849 Washington Co, VA, son of John
Carmack, b. ca. 1720, d. ca. 1812. William married (1) Elizabeth "Betsey"
Walker, (2) Mary "Polly" Yeary/Ball, widow of John Ball.

(This is where the confusion lies. Many records show first one William and
then the other, as being the husband of Mary "Polly" Yeary/Ball, widow of
John Ball.)
Until someone shows documented evidence that differs, I shall keep my
records as shown above. Too confusing to keep switching back and forth.

Pat O'Neal, gr.gr.gr. granddaughter of William and Mary Hartsock
Carmack.