CARMACK-L Archives

Archiver > CARMACK > 2000-01 > 0947743838

From: Bill Leslie <>
Subject: . ERe: Article
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:10:38 -0800

>From Families of Washington Co. and Bristol Va. 1776-1996, page 102,
article 226. Cornelius Karmic, a resident of Washington Co. Va. for
about forty years, was born 18 June 1736 in Prince George's Co.,
Providence of Maryland, and raised near a settlement called Cunakajig. He
was the third great-grandfather of this writer's
husband, John Curtis Carmack, of Ponca City, Oklahoma. Cornelius was
one of eighr children of William and Jane McDaniel Carmack. His siblings
were Sarah, William, Evan, John C., Nathan, Levi and Elizabeth.

He married Marjory Jane Evans 26 October 1756 in Frederick Co.,
Maryland. Their children were: Corneluis Carmack (8 January 1756-1857)
Frederick Co. Maryland. William Carmack (5 January 1761-24 September
1851) married Mary Catherine Hartsock; Joseph Carmack (11 April
1763-1798); Jane Carmack (7 June 1765-1825) married Thomas Henry, son
of John Henry; Sarah Carmack (August 1767-1 October 1792) married Hugh
McGee; Jesse C. Carmack (1769-1834/5) of Overton Co. Tenn., married Ann
Black, a Cherokee Indian;
Margery Carmack (1771-) married John Grimes; John Carmack (1773-)
residence Bledsoe Co. Tenn.; Elizabeth Carmack (1776-) married James
Henry (1765-1825) brother of Thomas Henry; Susannah Carmack (1777-1857)
married 21 March 1793 in Wythe Co. Va., Henry Livingston (1 March 1764-22
May 1834)
youngest son of William Todd and Sara Livingston. Corneluis served as
Justice of Washington Co. 1777-1780. His sons served in many
capacities. During the Revolutionary Way Corneluis served in the Va.
Line as did his sons William, John and Joseph. He drew his pension in
Overton Co. Tenn., dying there in July 1824 with burial in Carmack
Cemetery near Livingston. As was customary at that time, large slabs of
limestone covered the grave site of the head of the family with smaller
irregular pieces marking other graves. (note picture) Eighteen decendants
attended the rededication service of the Carmack Cemetery on 13 July
1985. Four of the five Carmack sons were represented, and Lois (Carmack)
Gunn of Watertown, South Dakota, was the sole representative of the
Joseph Carmack line. One can imagine the anguish Marjory and Corneluis
experenced when their daughter Susannah, the recent bride of Henry
Livingston, was among the captives of the infamous Shawnee half breed
Benge. For years Benge plundered and killed families near Fort
Blackmore. He was killed by Vincent Hobbs and his captives rescued by a
search party. Joseph Carmack (11 April 1763-1798) born in Frederick Co.
Maryland, was reared and educated in Washington Co. Va. He married there
in 1790 to Mary McMillian. Her father, William McMillian, was a tailor
and native of Scotland. He married Mary Leeper in NOrfth Carolina. He
died 1809/10 in Washington Co. Va.

The children of Joseph and Mary Carmack were: Francis McMillian Carmack
(1791-1798); John Carmack (January 1794-19 July 1818) unmarried;
Corneluis Carmack (1795-1851) (see story); Joseph Carmack, Jr.
(1798-1798).

During the War of 1812 Joseph was an Ensign in the Washington Co. Va.
Milita. As new territories opened, Joseph (a farmer and surveyor) moved
to Sumner Co. Tenn. He stayed there one year, then settled three miles
southeast of Springfield on Wartrace Creek in Robertson Co. His unmarked
grave is there in the old Carmack Family Cemetery. In his will, dated 20
October 1798, probated 1799, he names as beneficiaries his wife, Mary,
and children, John, Cornelius and Joseph Jr.

Joseph's widow the married James Bell. Their children were: Walter,
Leander, James Jr., William, Margaret married William Roe, and Polly
McMillian Bell. Mary also buried in the Carmack Family Cetemery.
(Carmack Cemetery near Livingston, Overton Co. Tenn. Photo made 13 July
1985 courtesy Lois (Carmack) Gunn of Watertown, South Dakota.

Sources: From the Southern Historical Collection, The University of North
Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC. Diary of Francis McMillian Carmack, 2 Vol;
Family History Sketches of Ancestry written May 4, 1828 by Cornelius
Carmack; well documented work notes of Mary Carmack Cunningham and her
sister Elizabeth Kate Cunningham Hubbard; DAR records; legend; The
Dispatch, Cookeville Tenn, Sunday July 21, 1985, page 8B; The Researcher,
May 1978 #75; A Reminiscent History of The Ozark Region, page 226;
Twenty-Four Hundred Pensioners-War 1812 by Zell Armstrong; Annals
Southwest Va./Wilburn Waters, pages 1580-1583; ibid, page 226.

Bill