CARMARTHENSHIRE-FHS-L Archives

Archiver > CARMARTHENSHIRE-FHS > 2011-12 > 1324469214

From: Joy <>
Subject: Re: [CMN-FHS] Sorting out St. John's churches in Pontyberem
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:06:54 +0000

Dear Roy

Capel Ifan is to the west of the village of Pontyberem of which it is
now the parish church. Travelling from Ponthenri on the B4317, before
you enter the village, there is Capel Ifan Farm on the left and the
church is up a lane opposite this.

In 1790 the Methodists decided to rebuild the old chapel, which had been
a chapel of ease under the Llanelli Parish Church, and held services
there until 1830. After a disagreement among members the Vicar of
Llanelli refused to allow them to use it any more. It was then renamed
St. Johns and, in 1873 although, at first still considered to be a
chapel of ease under Llanelly Church ( and later Holy Trinity,
Felinfoel, following parish reorganisation) normal Anglican services
were held there. When the new ecclesiastical parish of Pontyberem was
formed in 1934, the vicar was directed by the Registrar General that in
the future the old church should be described as St. John(Capel Ifan),
Pontyberem, and the new church as St. John, Pontyberem.

Parish Registers of Wales, published by NLW, lists only Capel Ifan under
Pontyberem. Your Rees family lived at Carnawllon, close to Capel Ifan
Farm farmed by my family. My family were all baptised, married and
buried at Capel Ifan and I found some of your Rees family of Carnawllon
Fach in the baptisms as early as 1841.

As the minister who performed the last two marriages was a member of my
family and was definitely ordained in the Church of England (now Wales)
I can positively say that the marriages listed were in Capel Ifan

Happy Christmas
Joy

This thread: