CARMARTHENSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CARMARTHENSHIRE > 1999-11 > 0943473947

From: "Pam Thornbury" <>
Subject: Re: 1851 CENSUS - the facts
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:05:47 +1300

Hello Nina

Sorry, you are wrong. The PRO will sell you *any* census year, on fiche or
film. You have to state which you prefer when you order. I buy most of my
censuses from PRO and have always ordered fiche. I have several regions
for 1851 and 1891 and am waiting for some 1871 at present - all purchased
from PRO @ GBP2.60 per fiche plus p&p. The PRO fiche are unindexed - but
are filmed from the original census books so contain much valuable
information which may not be included in an indexed version.

Pam
in New Zealand

> The PRO only sell microfiche for the 1891 Census - it's the only one that
> has been made available in that way. For other censuses you do have to pay
> the per metre price for microfilm which is expensive and there is quite a
> high minimum. It's not intended really for individuals, more for
> libraries, County Record Offices etc to buy their own area.

This thread: