CARMARTHENSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CARMARTHENSHIRE > 2003-02 > 1046181569

From: "Mal Davies" <>
Subject: Re: [Cmn-L] Capt. Grismond Phillips
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:59:29 -0000

Hello Anne,

With regard to the Friars Park entry, Carmarthen town that : "in 1837 the tenant was William Philpps, Esq., a member of the Cwmgwili family"
I have copies of extracts of an article published towards the end of the 19th century by the antiquary, W.G. Stedman Thomas of Belle Vue House, Carmarthen. The publication appeared in "Yr Haul" and was his version of the Philipps family tree.
Although an impressive production, it did not meet with the entire approval of Mr Grismond Philipps.
The extracts then contain a copy of a letter written on 4th December 1891 by Stedman Thomas in response to Grismond Philips.
(The communication between them is too long and complicated to explain in a Carms List e-mail. It would be easier for me to e-mail a scan, directly to your personal e-mail address).

With regard to your query about tanners in Carmarthen town........
Mr Stedman Thomas had other doubts which he stated in one of his manuscripts (now in the NLW) which states.....
"It has been said that this family paternally derived from John Phillipps of White House (Ty Gwyn) near Llandeilo, and tanners, from the Phillipses of Pantwdog, Conwil Elvet, freeholders, and also largely engaged in the tannery trade both in that parish as well as in Mydrim" .

There is also mention of Pembrokeshire connections, Vaughan family of Llanelli and Golden Grove, Llandeilo connections and murder and hanging in the Philipps pedigree.
A typical Welsh landed gentry intermingling and intrigue studded with landmines!

As I said in my earlier e-mail to Margaret Burrows.... If you think that the information I have may be of use to you, please let me know and I will gladly e-mail 'scans' of what I have directly to your e-mail address.
best regards,
Mal Davies......... Ammanford, Carms.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/grumps

---