CARMARTHENSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CARMARTHENSHIRE > 2005-01 > 1105371698

From: "Christopher Challener" <>
Subject: Re: Caio
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:41:38 -0000

Bill,

Regarding your enquiry about CAIO. Llansawel is about 3 miles west of Caio
as the Red kite flies and is on the junction of the B4310 and B4337. I
can't tell you any more about it.

Just a bit to the north of Caio is the river Fanagoed which runs into the
Cothi this may have something to do with fan y fan Fach but I don't know. I
have studied an old OS map of the parish and can't see your lake.

As for the legend (true story?) of the Wizard of Caio there was an article
by Byron Rogers in Saga magazine for march 2002 about Dr John HARRIES
described as "astrologer, medicine man and conjuror." I am sure if you
contact Saga they will be happy to organise a copy. It was written under
the nom de plume of The Traveller.

Hope this helps

Christopher (6684)

Still looking for:
CHALLENER (Anywhere)
DAVIES (Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire)
SPROSTON (Mostly Cheshire)
TREMBLE (Co. Wexford/South Wales/East London)
SCOPES (Mostly Suffolk)
GOLDING (East London)
MANNING (18th C. Cheshire)

This thread: