CARNEY-L Archives

Archiver > CARNEY > 2001-01 > 0978734282

From: "Robert I. Carney" <>
Subject: [CARNEY-L] Harrell Powell Carney
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:38:02 -0500

Susan:

My records indicate that your Harrell Powell Carney descends from the
Norfolk, Virginia Carney line. As you probably are aware, there's
considerable info available on this line. I file his ancestors in the
following manner:

Ancestors of Harrell Powell CARNEY
---

FIRST GENERATION

1. Harrell Powell CARNEY was born in 1812 in Tennessee. He died on 2 Dec
1873 in Humphreys Co., TN.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Stephen Westcott CARNEY was born in 1779 in Halifax County, NC. He died
in 1864 in Montgomery County, TN. He was married to Winifred HARRELL.

3. Winifred HARRELL. Stephen Westcott CARNEY and Winifred HARRELL had the
following children:

i. Wright B. CARNEY was born in 1809 in Tennessee.
1 ii. Harrell Powell CARNEY.
iii. Martha CARNEY.
iv. Rev. Marion G. CARNEY was born on 31 Mar 1818. He died on 22 Oct
1891.
v. Louisa Ann CARNEY.
vi. Winifred Cledia CARNEY.
vii. Absolam CARNEY.

THIRD GENERATION

4. General Richard CARNEY was born about 1750 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died on 20 Apr 1833 in Montgomery County, TN. He was buried in Montgomery
County, TN. He was married to Sally LEWELLING on 3 Aug 1774 in Norfolk
County, VA.

5. Sally LEWELLING was born in 1753 in Norfolk County, VA. She died on 15
Sep 1819 in Montgomery County, TN. General Richard CARNEY and Sally
LEWELLING had the following children:

i. Mary "Polly" Lewelling CARNEY died about 1852.
2 ii. Stephen Westcott CARNEY.
iii. Thomas Lewelling CARNEY died about 1820.
iv. James Wright CARNEY.
v. Christopher Norfleet CARNEY was born on 15 Aug 1782 in Halifax County,
NC. He died on 31 Jan 1862 in Montgomery County, TN.
vi. Elizabeth Norfleet CARNEY was born in 1783. She died about 1858.
vii. Ann Wright CARNEY was born on 28 Nov 1786. She died on 16 Feb 1822.
viii. Charlotte Slaughter CARNEY was born in 1790. She died about 1840.

6. HARRELL. HARRELL had the following children:

i. Sally HARRELL died in Clarksville, Montgomery, TN.
3 ii. Winifred HARRELL.

FOURTH GENERATION

8. Richard CARNEY signed a will on 21 Apr 1792 in Halifax County, NC. He
died on 18 Dec 1792 in Halifax County, NC. He had an estate probated in Feb
1793 in Halifax County, NC. He was married to Mary WESTCOTT.

9. Mary WESTCOTT. Richard CARNEY and Mary WESTCOTT had the following
children:

4 i. General Richard CARNEY.
ii. Gen. Stephen Wright CARNEY was born about 1753 in Norfolk County, VA.
He signed a will on 8 Mar 1811 in Halifax County, NC. He died on 27 Dec
1811 in Halifax County, NC. He had an estate probated in Feb 1812 in
Halifax County, NC.
iii. Elizabeth CARNEY was born about 1755 in North Carolina. She died
about 1829 in Bertie County, NC.
iv. Mary CARNEY was born about 1757.
v. Nancy CARNEY was born about 1759.

10. Thomas LEWELLING.

11. Rachel NORFLEET. Thomas LEWELLING and Rachel NORFLEET had the
following children:

5 i. Sally LEWELLING.

FIFTH GENERATION

16. Richard CARNEY signed a will on 3 Jan 1711 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died before 16 Mar 1711 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an estate probated on
16 Mar 1711 in Norfolk County, VA. Richard CARNEY had the following
children:

i. William CARNEY signed a will on 21 Nov 1778 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died after 21 Nov 1778 in Norfolk County, VA.
8 ii. Richard CARNEY.
iii. John CARNEY died in 1765 in Norfolk County, VA. He signed a will on
2 Feb 1765 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an estate probated on 16 May 1765
in Norfolk County, VA.
iv. Thomas CARNEY signed a will on 23 Feb 1756 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died before Dec 1756 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an estate probated in
Dec 1756 in Norfolk County, VA. He was born in Norfolk County, VA.
v. Barnaby CARNEY signed a will on 3 May 1759 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died before Feb 1760 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an estate probated in
Feb 1760 in Norfolk County, VA.

SIXTH GENERATION

32. William CARNEY Immigrant signed a will on 19 Oct 1681 in Norfolk
County, VA. He died before 15 Oct 1683 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an
estate probated on 15 Oct 1683 in Norfolk County, VA. He was married to
Abigaill.

33. Abigaill. William CARNEY Immigrant and Abigaill had the following
children:

i. James CARNEY signed a will on 1 Apr 1719 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died before 21 Aug 1719 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an estate probated on
21 Aug 1719 in Norfolk County, VA.
16 ii. Richard CARNEY.
iii. David CARNEY.
iv. John CARNEY signed a will on 14 May 1717 in Norfolk County, VA. He
died before 21 Jun 1717 in Norfolk County, VA. He had an estate probated on
21 Jun 1717 in Norfolk County, VA.
v. Mary CARNEY.

That's it

As I indicated, there's considerable info available on this line, thus there
are a number of notes I have on several of these people you might be
interested in. For example, here are some (but not all) of the notes I have
on William Carney who established the line.

The beginning of the Carney line in America for many family members was in
1650 when, on 20 March 1650, “Mr. Anthony Ellyott” received “1150 acs lyeing
on the N. W. side of the North Riv. in Mockjack Bay,” for transporting 23
persons to America; amongst whom was one William Carney (Cavaliers and
Pioneers, page 208, Nell Marion Nugent). The 1150 acres were in the present
County of Mathews (then part of Gloucester County) on the Middle Peninsula
approximately 40 miles by land and water from the city of Portsmouth in
Tidewater, Virginia. Precisely where William Carney settled at this time is
unknown.

A William Carney was granted Head Rights on 100 acres of land located on
Clarke’s Creek of the Elizabeth River in what is now Portsmouth, Virginia.
Head Rights were granted by Governor Berkeley of Virginia on 17 Mar 1667.
The land was formerly granted to Rich Starnell by patt Dated the 11th of
January 1652 and the said Starnell dying by his last Will & Testament gave &
bequeathed the same to sd Rich Carney. (no explanation of why William Carney
received the patent; perhaps a son of Richard.

There is no proof that the William Carney transported by Mr. Ellyott was the
William to whom the grant was given in 1667, but it is probable

William Carney's will is found in Norfolk County Deed Book 4, page 149. It
is dated 19 Oct 1681 and proved 15 Oct 1683. An abstract follows:

. . . wife Abigaill Carney all that plantation whereon I now live
during ye time & terme of her naturall life, and after her decease to
my three sonnes (viz). James, Richar & David Carney . . .
. . . to my daughter mary Carney
. . . my Sone Jno. Carney . . .

witnesses: Wm Bathusrst
Robt. Jordan
William Carney & Seale

Unquote

I was aware that Harrell and Elizabeth had the three children you
identified. The only additional info I had was that Mary Elizabeth Carney
married David C. Estes on 7 Dec 1856 in Montgomery Co. I have absolutely no
info on the descendants of the three children and would appreciate anything
you'd care to share.

Bob Carney
Williamsburg, VA

This thread: