CARR-L Archives

Archiver > CARR > 1998-01 > 0884490899

From: KC19567 <>
Subject: Carr's from Gurteen/Newbridge Co. Galway
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:54:59 EST

I am trying to trace the family history in Ireland and in the USA. I have
made connections with certain family members in Ireland but the family history
has been lost prior to my greatgrandfather.

We do know the family name Carr was Kirrane (anglicized version of Corrain or
some variation of this spelling.) The family originated in Gurteen, near
Caltra Ballinasloe. the following is a brief history of my direct line:

Surname: Carr
Main location(s) of Surname interest: Greatgrandfather Martin Carr born in
Gurteen, Caltra, Ballinasloe (house was located behind the RC Church).
Approximate year of birth 1845-1850. Worked as farmer on Fallon land in Tully
Village, Newbridge, Mountbellew. Ultimately bought land on the farm. Married
Catherine Quinn and together they had either 11 or 13 children. All children
were born and reared in Ireland. Known names-- Margaret married a Strauss in
NYC, Nora married a Patrick Campbell in NYC, Nellie married a Clarke, Mary
married Patrick McShane (from Donegal), Thomas and Patrick married in NYC,
Michael (my grandfater born around 1880) married Delia Ruane from Balla
Menlough, Co Galway. John remained in Ireland and married a Ward from
Skihanna, Catherine (or Kate) married a Conway in Newbridge, and William
(Willie) married Agnes Dooley and remained on the family farm in Tully
Village. Aileen remained unmarried. Possible 2 other children--names
unknown. Note descendents of married siblings in Ireland (John, Kate and
Willie) remain in Ireland and the area.

We also believe Martin had a brother, possible name John, who settled in
Ballyglass, Newbridge, Mountbellew. Some of his decendents remain at the home
place. In addition I believe but cannot verify that Martin Carr's father was
Joseph married to a Gannon from the Gurteen area. (I did note during a visit
there is a townland called Kilgannon not far from Gurteen.) The name Martin
is quite common in the family.

I would be interested in any information anyone may have on ancestors or
decendents from the Carr's including siblings of Martin or his parents.

Thank you. E-Mail

This thread: