CARSON-L Archives

Archiver > CARSON > 2009-05 > 1243268948

Subject: [CARSON] Carson families from Lancaster, Dauphin, Cumberland,Chester, York PA 1730s-1780s
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:29:08 -0000

Author: gkcarson
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.carson/1719.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I'm posting a reply to my own 2006 posting with more findings and some conclusions.

There were several Carson families from PA counties Lancaster, Cumberland, York, Chester and DE New Castle Co. Branches migrated south to NC and SC and GA and/or west to OH and beyond. YDNA test results combined with cirumstantial connections suggest some of these were blood related (immediate family):

Moses Carson b1737 married Elizabeth Hannah of PA, NC, TN (DNA exact match)

Robert Carson b1730s married Margaret Woods of PA, NC, TN (DNA exact match)

John Carson born 1747 Ireland, in Chester SC 1760s-1780s, died Hardin KY c1822 married Elizabeth (DNA exact match)

Alexander Carson born before 1770, in Chester SC 1790s, in Hardin KY 1820s, listed as "my son" in will of Mary Harbison 1800 Chester Co SC (circumstantial)

James Carson born 1740s? dec'd 1806 Orange NC married Mary (circumstantial)

Robert Carson dec'd 1760 Cumberland Co PA (circumstantial)

Joseph Carson (Capt Joseph Carson?) born 1730s? dec'd 1790 Old 96th SC (circumstantial)

John E. Carson born c1750/1760s? in Orange NC 1790s married Margaret Hunter, listed in family trees as John English Carson, son of John Carson of Orange NC who married Esther Cloud 1752 Old Swedes Church, New Castle DE (circumstantial)

Robert Carson born 1717 died Chester PA 1790s, his son David Carson born 1740s of Cumberland PA died Chester PA and grandson Robert Carson born 1759 Cumberland PA died Seneca OH (DNA fairly close match)

Thomas Carson born 1740 Scotland died Washington Co PA married Mary Smith in New Castle Co DE (DNA fairly close match)

These Carson families moved from Lancaster PA to NC to TN with some of the families above and connect repeatedly circunstantially.

William Carson born c1730? died 1790 Washington TN married Margaret McCord (DNA is same haplogroup as Moses, Robert, John above but mismatches indicate not a close family connection)

David Carson born c1730s died after 1795 TN married Sarah Woods, sister of wife of Robert Carson mentioned above (circumstantial)

I have the names of children and some descendants for most of these families. Again, if anybody sees any hints of connections, please let me know.

Thanks,
Gary Carson

Important Note: