CARTER-L Archives

Archiver > CARTER > 1999-02 > 0918685705

From: Jerry Smith <>
Subject: [CARTER-L] CARTER, Long Island/NJ, 1600's-1700's
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:28:25 +1000

Hi,

I have a family history (unfortunately undocumented) written a great aunt
in the 1960's. It contains some notes on the CARTER family, presumably
ancestors of my GGG grandmother (and current brickwall) Eleanor (Elenor?)
CARTER, who married Peter SMITH in Newark NJ, probably in the late 1780's.
I am posting these notes here in the hope that someone on the list may be
able to provide, or point me toward, more info on any of these people.

Here is what I have (this is quoted directly, even the comments in
parenthesis, from my aunt's old family history document):

"(notes on Carters)--Nicholas Carter came from Newtown, Long Island. His
name appears April 12, 1656 where he bought 20 acres of land from the
natives. He came there in 1652 from Stamford, Conn. He is repeatedly spoken
of in Newton L.I. records as leading man of the town until 1665 when he
removed to Elizabethtown. His son Nicholas, born 1658 was apprenticed Nov.
25, 1669 to a ta--- (can't read this) He sold most of his land to Samuel
Wilson on May 18, 1681 and shortly after died. Nick's son John had grown to
man's estate since 1665."

"(This part is so faded it is hard to read) Luther C. Carter m. Temprance
(?) Drake, Joseph King b. Southold 1725 m. Prudence Howell, daughter of
Ebenezer of Southampton, d. 1764 by whom he had children (1) Prudence m.
Daniel Pierson. (2) Rhoda m. Carter by whom he had children."

Thanks very much,

Jerry Smit

This thread: