CARTER-L Archives

Archiver > CARTER > 2003-03 > 1048022509

From: Nancy Bower <>
Subject: Re: [CARTER-L] Carter Clan in KY
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:21:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ladies,
I don't know if this will help but here's some stuff I
found on the Internet. I was looking for Nicholas
Carter because there was one who lived near my
ancestor, James Carter, around 1830 to 1840:

TAXLIST: Nelson County Tithes 1785-1791, Nelson Co.,
KY
Transcribed by: Mary Yoder,
Date: 11 Oct 2000
Carter Abednego 6-1 38 Jos Barnett 1785
Carter Abednego 1 59 Atk Hill 1787
Carter Abednego 1 115 Atkinson Hill 1791
Carter Abednegow 1 11 Atkinson Hill 1790
Carter Abendigo 1 62 Chas Ewing 1788
Carter James (1) 49 Jas Rogers 1787
Carter James - see Shadrack Carter 9 Jas Rogers 1786
Carter James - see Shadrack Carter 34 Atk Hill #2 1788

Carter James - see Shedrack Carter 1 14 Ben Pope 1791
Carter James -see Shadrack Carter 19 Jas Rogers 1785
Carter Joseph - see Machick Carter 33 Chas Ewing 1788
Carter Joseph - see Masheck Carter 66 Atkinson Hill
1791
Carter Joseph - see Mesheck Carter 2 Atk Hill 1787
Carter Mashack 7-1 11 Jos Barnett 1785
Carter Masheck; Joseph Carter 2 66 Atkinson Hill 1791
Carter Mashick & Joseph Carter & Robert Pottinger; 6
negros 8 33 Chas Ewing 1788
Carter Mesheck; Joseph Carter 2 2 Atk Hill 1787
Carter Moshuk; John Jackson 3 60 Atkinson Hill 1790
Carter Nichlos 1 50 Jas Rogers 1787
Carter Nicholas 1 10 Jas Rogers 1786
Carter Nicholas 1 35 Atk Hill #2 1788
Carter Nicholas 1 39 Benj. Frye 1790
Carter Nicholas 1 7 Ben Pope 1791
Carter Nicos 1-1-1 20 Jas Rogers 1785
Carter Shadrack, James Carter 2-3-3 19 Jas Rogers 1785

Carter Shadrack; James Carter 2 9 Jas Rogers 1786
Carter Shadrack; James Carter; William Reed 3 34 Atk
Hill #2 1788
Carter Shedrach; James Carter 2 49 Jas Rogers 1787
Carter Shedrack; James Carter 2 14 Ben Pope 1791
Carter Shedrick 1 32 Benj. Frye 1790
---------------------------
Revolutionary War Pensions:
NICHOLAS CARTER
NELSON COUNTY PRIVATE PUTMAN'S MASS. REGIMENT $80.00
ANNUAL ALLOWANCE $720.00 AMOUNT RECEIVED DECEMBER 16,
1830 PENSION STARTED
[Apparently this one was still in Nelson County in
1830]
-------------------------
Hope you find something helpful in there.
Nancy

--- jane <> wrote:
> I'm interested. My g-g-g-grandfather was Nicholas,
> born in 1790, possible son of Abednego, married to
Helena (Elainey, Elviney, whatever) Whitfield of
> Nelson County Kentucky. And that's about all I know.
>
> > Is anyone out there interested in the Carter clan
> in Nelson County, Kentucky--way, way back? My g-g-
grandfather was William Carter b about 1788 but I
don't know where. Md Hannah Lewis, b 1792 in KY,
probably in Nelson Co. There are records of Shadrack,
Meschack, Abednedgo, Thomas, and Barnabas Carter--a
bit earlier there in Nelson Co. They have to all be
> > related somehow but how? Also where did they come
> from? I think SW Pennsylvania, at least some of
them did.