CASANFRA-L Archives

Archiver > CASANFRA > 2006-03 > 1141677059

From: <>
Subject: Re: [CASANFRA] Pre 1940 Records
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:30:59 -0800

Thank you all for the input. I will try the great suggestions. Researching in CA is much different than researching in the east. I have traced my various lines back to the early 1700's and in some back to Scotland into the 1600's.
In the east there has been numerous courthouse fires and all records where lost. Which has occurred in 2 counties in E.TN where my families settle the county when it was 1st forming. In my over 30 years of researching I've learned numerous ways to locate various information.
My one ancestor was killed by Indians in 1794, I found a newspaper account and the area was named in honor of him. Land records where also lost but again I found a sheriff sale for back taxes in 1832 from a newspaper abstract.
Through church records I found my ggrandmother full name because she was a member. Military records are another great source. That's how I found the marriage records for my ancestor who fought in the Rev. War and the dates of birth for all of his children. Comparing them to census records I was able to narrow their migration to TN from VA to within 3 years.
Just another angle in researchung.
Patti

This thread: