CASANFRA-L Archives

Archiver > CASANFRA > 2006-12 > 1165701085

From: mt view <>
Subject: [CASANFRA] Thanks for the help looking for Earl Guy Brenkmann
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:51:25 -0800 (PST)

I would like to thank everyone who checked the Birth Index and give me suggestion about being in the Navy, from 1949-1969, and the need of a S.S. Card, for Mr. Earl Guy Brenkmann.

So it looks like he did not have any brothers or sisters that were born in California, maybe if he had any they were born in another state or maybe even in another county.

I guess if he got out of the Navy, in 1969, and signed up to get his S.S. Card, he either wrote down the wrong year of birth, by mistake or he lied about the year, for some reason or the clerk who looked at read it wrong. So that when he died, they got his date of birth from S.S.

I was given a suggestion that he might of been buried in a Veteran's Cemetery, so I check their website he is not listed.

I just checked the C.A.D.I. and put in Brenkmann, but used only one N at the end of the name and found his mother and father, they both died in Fresno, and her mother's father's last name is listed and it is Krahwinkel. ;-)

Here is what I found there.
Brenkman, Guy Phillip, born 1899-02-15, in Illinois and died 1958-10-13, in Fresno

Brenkman, Helen Pauline, born 1895-12-29, not sure where, and died 1954-12-17, in Fresno.

So again thanks for the help and suggestions.

George

Following is the newspaper article on the finding of the note in the bottle

Beachcombers in Nags Head discover bottled note from 1951
By CATHERINE KOZAK, The Virginian-Pilot
© December 4, 2006
Last updated: 12:56 PM
The no-nonsense note, rolled taut and pushed into a hair tonic bottle, said the writer was a Navy man onboard the oiler Chipola in Norfolk 55 years ago.
Sharp-eyed beachcombers found the message after the recent nor'easter scooped out a dune in Nags Head, N.C., leaving the green glass exposed.
"We were out checking the beach and looking to see what happened," said Sandy Midgett, a Southern Shores resident. "We were at the beach access, and there was a pretty bottle, and we rescued it. The water was just coming up on it."
The bottle, embossed with "Wildroot Cream Oil," had such a narrow opening that the note could not be removed without breaking it, Midgett said.
"I don't know how that person ever got that note in it," she said. An attempt to tap the rolled paper out resulted in a smashed bottle but a freed note.
Written in neat slanted script, the half-wet message was dated June 29, 1951, and signed by Earl G. Brenkman, FN B. Div., USS Chipola A063, C/O Fleet Post Office, San Francisco, Calif.
"Norfolk Bay, Norfolk, Virginia," it read, "... on July 21st, will be underway for Greenland, our next port of call."
And that's all he wrote.
According to the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, the Chipola, launched in 1944, initially served to refuel the ships preparing for the invasion of Iwo Jima, Japan. It next supported the assault ships that carried out the landings, and later served carrier task forces in raids before and after the assault at Okinawa.
After the war, the Chipola sailed to the Persian Gulf, the western Pacific, the U.S. West Coast, the Suez Canal, Aruba, the Far East, the Panama Canal, the Mediterranean and the U.S. East Coast. Several times, the ship made stopovers in Norfolk.
After May 1951, the Chipola returned to the East Coast and carried oil from the Caribbean to Norfolk, Navy records show.
That means that Brenkman could have been on the Chipola when and where he had said in his note.
"It was operating out of Norfolk at that time," Jack Green, public affairs officer at the Naval Historical Center in Washington, D.C., said about the oiler.
Green said that just because the record doesn't mention Greenland, it could have been the plan when the note was written.
"What happens sometimes is that orders were changed," Green said.
So far, efforts to trace the whereabouts of Brenkman or his kin have been unsuccessful, said Ray Midgett, Sandy's husband.
"I would love to find his family and send it back to them," he said.
For Sandy Midgett, the find was bittersweet. Her father, a retired military man, died last Christmas.
"He spent a lot of time around the Norfolk harbor," she said. "It made me a little sad because I would've loved to tell my dad about this."