CASANFRA-L Archives

Archiver > CASANFRA > 2006-12 > 1165704863

From: "David Vernon" <>
Subject: Re: [CASANFRA] [NORCAL] ? about S.S. Cards/Navy
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:54:23 -0500

For getting military service records it is much easier if you have the
individual's service number. If you do not have the service number you can
check at the local recorder of deeds office where the veteran was living
after discharge. It was common to record military discharges at a local
recorder of deeds and/or at a local veteran's administration office.

The fire of 1973 at the St. Louis National Military Personnel Records Center
destroyed a lot of records. However, most of the records lost were for Army
personnel. You're fortunate the service member you're looking for was in
the Navy.