CASON-L Archives

Archiver > CASON > 2006-12 > 1165633520

From: "Lorraine Fisher" <>
Subject: Re: [CASON] Spelling of the name
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 12:05:20 +0900

Hi Veneita, I have sent you the 1871 census offline. It shows the family of
John, who was born in 1871.

FreeBMD has the marriage of John and Ada at Stockton in 1898, if you want to
send for the certificate. Stockton is on the border of Durham and
Yorkshire.

The 1901 census says that Ada was born about 1873 in Durham, and John was
born 1871 at Acumb, Yorkshire.

Dont worry about spelling variations. It all depended on the literacy of
the people recording the events at the time. You do find that the spelling
seemed to "settle" and remain the same from the mid-1800s though, so you
will probably find that all of your later people have the name Casson.

My own are Casons, from Norfolk and Suffolk.

I hope this is helpful.
best wishes
Lorraine