CASSITY-L Archives

Archiver > CASSITY > 2007-08 > 1187497454

From: "Linda Cassidy Lewis" <>
Subject: Re: [CASSITY] Peter Cassity Family Website
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:24:14 -0700

Lon,

You're site looks very nice, and thanks for the link to the CCFA site. I'll check back to see what all you're uploading. Maybe I can fill-in some blanks in the CCFA database. For now, I have a question and a comment.

1. If you are going to show our ancestor "Old" Peter as being descended from the Cassidys in the Clogher Register, will you be showing proof of that? That ancestral link is questioned by quite a few of us, including the official genealogist for the Cassidy Clan of County Fermanagh, Ireland. I know that link is shown in the LDS files and was submitted by William Allen. By the time I became aware of it, William had passed on, but his son searched through his father's records for me and could not find any documentation for it. He came to the conclusion that it was speculation on his father's part. So if your ancestry beyond Old Peter is just speculation, please, please, please prominently indicate that on your site, so others will not copy it as fact.

2. I also corresponded with Ida Cronkite and she told me the family tale about Jonathan Cassity and Mary Armstrong's marriage, and also the tale of my ggreat-grandfather's head injury at the hand of his brother. I don't know if the second tale is true, however, the first tale cannot be true as told. Mary Armstrong's parents were not both deceased when she married Jonathan Cassity. Her mother had died, possibly at Mary's birth, and her father had remarried. (Another tale tells that Mary did not get along with her step-mother and set out to find a husband, but I don't know if that's true either.) In any case, Mary was not an orphan when she married.

As for Jonathan's parents' death leaving him to care for two younger sisters, that's one that could be true, but we have not been able to identify his parents, so it can't be proved. Anyway, I just thought I'd give you some input.

Linda

The Cassity/Cassidy Family Association is online at http://www.cassidyfamilyassociation.org

Unique Handcrafted Jewelry by Linda Lewis http://www.theladyinthemoon.com

This thread: