CAVITT-L Archives

Archiver > CAVITT > 1998-06 > 0897497418

From: Rita Bryant <>
Subject: Cavitt Book p 86
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:50:18 -0500

Received of John H Bills, administrator in Tennessee $42.10 belonging
to the heirs which I applied to the payment of that amount due the
administratrix by over payment on her settlement with the court as such.

I have also in my care and possession one negro boy Robert which belongs
to Richard W Cavitt, solely and have kept his account in part separate
from the others.

Hired said Robert in 1841, to G W Cox for $86.00 and to Martin D Taylor
in 1842 for $133 00.

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS )
County of Robertson ) I Cavitt Armstrong guardian above named do
solemnly swear that the foregoing is a true and correct account of my
acts and doings as guardian of the minor heirs above named up to date.

CAVITT ARMSTRONG, GUARDIAN
minor heirs of Andrew Cavitt, H R Person Ch Justice Robertson County,
Texas I approve the above account December 1842 H K Person CJ
I certify the foregoing to be a true record of the above.
H. Owens, Clerk

At this time Whit was 20 years old, Volney 18, Josephus 16, Sheridan 14,
and all four considered themselves grown men.

The five years between the date of Ann Cavett Cavitt's marriage to her
husband's nephew, Cavitt Armstrong, in 1840 and the death of her eldest
son by Andrew Cavitt, were turbulent times for the whole family.

Cavitt Armstrong by all accounts was a forceful man who took charge of
any situation with determination and dispatch. In marrying his uncle's
widow he also assumed management of seven boys-or young men) for Whitley
was 18 at the time of his mother's second marriage. In the interim
between his father's death and the marriage, Whit had grown from a
sturdy, over-soon matured fourteen who learned to listen to Mamma but to
lean on Uncle Bill for directions in the farming and ranching management
of the growing holdings of Mrs. Ann Cavitt. Volney was 12 when pa died
and Josephus 10. The little boys were Sheridan, who was eight, Andrew
six right after pa died, James four, and Will, two. Since the death of
Andrew the three older boys had learned to survey under the direction of
Mr. James Coryell, the family friend who had helped urge their coming to
the new land.

Now Whit was a grown man; Vol was 16 and thought himself grown;
Josephus was well past 14 and followed his two big brothers in all they
did. The 12 year old Sheridan, who was the delight of all the family and
the pride of his adoring mother's heart seemed to be the thorn in the
flesh of the step-father who was taking over the Cavitt affairs, trying
to punish the boys in a manner never found necessary when pa was alive
or under the directions of Miss Ann and the beloved slave, Indian Bill,
Uncle Bill to the family.

Elsewhere the story oft repeated by the various members of the family is
recounted of Mr. Armstrong's decision to thrash Sheridan and the
intervention of Uncle Bill with his daring, "Mister Andrew lef these
boys in my care with Miss Ann giving the directions, sir. Miss Ann ain'
ordered this thrashing as we knows of." Each narrator tells it in his
own fashion with the same general thoughts, Uncle Bill dared intervene
at the possible cost of a beating for himself or being sold or being
killed if worst came to worst. The boys never forgot his love and care
for them and did him the honor of a family burial when he was killed by
thieves some years later after he bought his freedom from Miss Ann.

In the interim the one son of Ann and Cavitt Armstrong was born. His
advent must have taken the thoughts of the young husband from
disciplining of the pretty well self-disciplined Cavitt boys and the
family proceeded, as far as any accounts go, with outer peace and
decorum. It would have been unthinkable for Miss Ann to have any sort of
public disturbance and her guiding hand can be seen in Whit's giving to
Cavitt

--
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be
seen or touched. It must be felt with the heart.