CENSUS-CHAT-L Archives

Archiver > CENSUS-CHAT > 1999-07 > 0930848475

From: "Connie Burkett" <>
Subject: RE: [CENSUS-CHAT-L] Numbering question
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:01:15 -0400

Hi Angela, please follow the "Transcibing Help" rules for the page numbers
to include the 'a'. The main reason for this is that when we use your
transcribed file and create the files that get uploaded we use the page
number of the first page in that file for the file name. We try to limit
the file size for any one file to a maximum size of between 100K-125K so
that it does not take forever to open that file. Therefore, we sometimes
create multiple files for your transcription. If you don't use the 'a' at
the end of the first page of a 2-page set the resulting file names will not
sort correctly in the subfolder. As an example suppose the file names are
pg00026.txt, pg0041b.txt, pg00056.txt, pg0061b.txt, they would appear
out-of-sequence in the ftp subfolder as:

pg00026.txt
pg00056.txt
pg0041b.txt
pg0061b.txt

So please use the 'a' after the page number.

Connie Burkett