CENSUS-CHAT-L Archives

Archiver > CENSUS-CHAT > 1999-07 > 0931290300

From: Gary Warner <>
Subject: Re: [CENSUS-CHAT-L] Alabama Look up
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 14:45:00 -0500

Replying to list to avoid duplicate effort -- sorry for noise --

> Could someone please look up Solomon Cline in the 1870 Winston County, Alabama Census page 516 and let me know who is listed as in the Household.

Not sure if this is going to be too helpful, but here ya go:

Solomon Cline, aged 69, wm, Farmer, value of real estate 178, b.S.Carolina
Elinder S. aged 87?, wf, b.S.Carolina
Mary A. Robinson, 81, wf, b. AL

Caution: This census taker practically wrote in invisible ink! We did a "negative print" to get this to be legible at all. Everything is pretty
sure with three problems: ELINDER is VERY light -- read as EL*ND* . Likewise Mary -- M*R*Y Possibly Mercy? Biggeset question (debated by myself
and two fellow patrons who were commiserating the state of the census) is the age for Mary A. Robinson EIGHTY-ONE? or just EIGHT? The taker
left-aligned all numbers, and the one COULD be a film scratch. Its VERY light. Our theory is that Solomon, aged 69, had his mother and
mother-in-law living alone with him. Would a Robinson match as a possible wife?

This thread: