CENSUS-CHAT-L Archives

Archiver > CENSUS-CHAT > 2003-11 > 1068679090

From: "Gordon A. Watts" <>
Subject: Post 1901 Census - Bill S-13 is dead.
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:18:10 -0800

Greetings All.

It is official. Bill S-13 is dead.

This afternoon Prime Minister Jean Chetien announced that Parliament has
been prorogued. This means that all unfinished business before
Parliament dies on the Order Paper. The next session of Parliament is
scheduled to start 12 January 2004.

Hopefully this will allow us the time necessary to see our legal action
scheduled for a hearing before the Federal Court and to receive a
favourable verdict for the release of the 1911 Census. With a change of
Prime Minister, and new Cabinet Members, perhaps we may get some that
will listen to us instead of listening to the dictates of the Chief
Statistician.

Take a breather, and get ready to start writing letters once again.

Happy Hunting.

Gordon A. Watts
Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee
Port Coquitlam, BC