CFT-WIN-L Archives

Archiver > CFT-WIN > 2000-11 > 0975517999

From: "Jens Erik Brammer" <>
Subject: RE: [CFTW] Name Search and Name Change Event
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:13:19 +0100

Thanks to Harvey, Sgt George and Ira for comments.
In my original posting I did not mean to say that the main Name fields
should contain anything else but the very first original name given at
birth. My posting was triggered by a remark from Ira saying that he did not
think many people used the NameChange event NMCH. Let me summerize why I use
it often:

1. I believe a new official name to be an important piece of data in the
description of a person, also - or even especially - in the realm of
genealogy.

2. In family stories mostly for or on living members of the family it is
often a must to mention the name change(s) of a person; otherwise, the
person may not even be known to people reading the story (as also suggested
by Ira).

3. But also in stories on the dead members, it may be necessary or nice to
mention other names because some persons were known in the family only by
some name they changed to for some reason.

4. In genealogical research you may often run into records where the
original name is not mentioned, but later names are (as suggested by
Harvey).

Naming rules and traditions are also different from country to country, and
they are changing over time, so with Ira's ambition for covering more and
more countries, some examples from my country (Denmark) may be inspiring:

a) Until say 50 years ago, a women would almost automatically adobt the
husbands family name in place of the maiden name. Today you keep your family
name if you don't actively do anything (default). It is now very common for
women to keep their maiden name (e.g. my only married daughter is still
Sofie Brammer, married to Christian Møller). It is not at all rare for a man
to take the family name of the husband (e.g. my good friends daughter
Birgitte Snabe married Jim Hamann; he is now Jim Hamann Snabe and their
child is Kathrine Snabe!).

b) Until ca(!) 15 years ago a child were given the family name after their
father as tradition (and by default if the parents did not take any action).
With a new name law, the default is now the mothers name, the parents can
still deside, and I believe the fathers name is still the favored choice,
but certainly not the rule anymore.

c) In this country you can not just change (any part of) your name as you
like. You must go through - and in some cases have permission from - an
Authority, and you pay a fee in certain cases. Most common Danish family
names are protected and thus not available; but you have the right to take
any of your parents and your grandparents family names at any time (still
through the authority).

I am sure this kind of chage form old traditions is not speial to my
country. I hope this was not off limits for the list. I believe some of it
may even have impact on the development of CFT.

Jens E. Brammer
Holte, Denmark

This thread: