CHAFFIN-L Archives

Archiver > CHAFFIN > 1999-11 > 0942264171

From: <>
Subject: SIMON CHAFFIN
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:02:51 EST

It seems that there are a bunch of people looking for various CHAFFIN
families in the Lawrence Co KY area. I just recently made my CHAFFIN
connection and hope someone can help with a specific question and a general
one. General one first;

CHAFFIN is not a common name elsewhere in the US, yet there are, relatively
speaking, lots of them in the Lawrence Co area as early as 1820 and later.
That suggests they probably came from one or two sources, and came early in
the development of KY. Has anyone done enough research to find the who,
where and whys of this migration into KY. (In some ways it reminds me of the
TACKETT family of Eastern KY, which has been heavily researched)

OK, specific question:
Henry H CLAY b c 1844 s/o Henry Clay and Honor HARPER BURNSIDE (of Lawrence
and later Boyd Co) married

Mary Jane CHAFFIN b c 1846 d/o Simon CHAFFIN and Amanda FRENCH?

Simon and Amanda found in 1850 census:
167 CHAFFIN, Simon 58 M Farmer 500 VA
Amanda 39 F VA
Madias C 16 M KY
Anna 15 F KY
Clarinda 22 F KY
William 10 M KY
Nancy Ann 5 F KY
Mary J 4 F KY

Marriage of Mary Jane Chaffin:

Record Book 1A pg 115

Henry H Clay married Mary Jane Chaffin 25 Sept 1866 by A. Stewart JP.
Witnesses Robert Ruggles and wife. Place; residence of S. Chaffin.
(While not conclusive, combined with consistent age of Mary Jane, only one S
CHAFFIN in 1860 and 1870 census, Mary Jane naming her second daughter
(A)Manda, it is probably as close to proof as we are likely to get.)

Does anyone connect with this family that can give me more information?
Does anyone have confirmation of FRENCH as Amanda's maiden name?
Does anyone know parentage of either Simon or Amanda?
Does anyone know from what part of VA and when they came to KY?
By the 1910 census, the two youngest of Henry H and Mary Jane's children are
living with John L BROWN and (A)Manda CLAY BROWN in Greenup Co KY. Family
histroy is that Henry H and Mary Jane moved to WV. I cannot find them in the
census, but note that many CHAFFINs did move to WV.

Thanks for any help!

Mac Webb

This thread: