CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 1999-12 > 0945286457

From: Roger de Carteret <>
Subject: Alfred de Carteret
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:34:17 +0000

Dave de Carteret mentioned his gx2 grandfather, Alfred Thomas de
Carteret, serving in the Royal Navy.

The 1881 census includes only one Alfred -

Alfred J de Carteret, aged 35, born Guernsey, a carpenter in the crew
of "Indus" at Devonport, in Devon. If we allow a small transcription
error this could be your man. The birth in Gillingham, one of the
Medway towns, could mean that Alfred was later posted to a ship from
Chatham. This caught my eye because I had been looking in the '81
census at another de Carteret family in Kent, in a not very energetic
search for the antecedents of the sometime Bishop of Jamacia.
George Frederick Cecil de Carteret was Bishop of Jamaca, 1916-1931, and
Balleine describes him as born in 1866 as the son of Hubert Guille de
Carteret RN. In the census I find a Hubert de Carteret, born Plymouth
but living in Maidstone, Kent, where he was the manager of the Mitre
Hotel in the High Street. His family included a son, Cecil, aged 15,
(ie b. abt 1866) and I am wondering if this is our bishop. But the name
Cecil also echoes at a later date into Dave's family.
The inclusion of the Bishop into the Biographical Dictionary suggests
that Balleine believed that he was of descent from the Jersey family -
I am not sure of that and wonder if anyone in the Other Island may be
better informed.

Hope that this helps -

Roger

This thread: