CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2000-01 > 0948617952

From: "Allen Temple Beagan" <>
Subject: Re: Ships and Seafarers of Atlantic Canada cd / Boucaut
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:59:12 -0500

In the "owners" data base

C825008 This number presents three pieces of information. The first letter
is a code for the port of registry. "H", for example stands for Halifax,
Nova Scotia. The first three digits following the letter indicate the year;
thus, 840 is 1840, 912 is 1912, and so on. The last three digits give the
sequence of the registry within a year. Thus a vessel with the registration
number H840007 means it was the seventh vessel registered in Halifax in the
year 1840.

The letters and their corresponding ports are as follows.

Letter Port

B Bermuda (all ports)
C Sydney, Nova Scotia
H Halifax, Nova Scotia
I Prince Edward Island (all ports)
J St. John, New Brunswick
M Miramichi, New Brunswick
P Pictou, Nova Scotia
R Richibucto, New Brunswick
S Newfoundland (all ports)
W Windsor, Nova Scotia
Y Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

Nicholas Boucaint
Guernsey
merchant
owner #5 This number represents the sequence in which the owner appeared on
the registry. It does not indicate whether he or she was the person with the
most, second most, etc. shares in the vessel.

Partnership devisor; 1 - In some instances, the registries gave only the
total number of shares that two or more owners held in common, and this
field enabled the researchers to note this. For example, if three owners
jointly held 48 shares, each would have '48' listed in the Shares field and
'3' listed in Partnership Divisor field.

shares 8, he was owner - builder of the "Peace" built 1824 in Tracadie Nova
Scotia, 1 deck, 2 masts, brig 67' by 23' with 12 ' draft, 178 tons reg 1825,
closed in 1826
reason for closure 3 - in Guernsey ;The reason given on the registry for its
closure. In some cases, however, the registrar neglected to enter this. Most
registries had the reason filled in, either from information on the registry
or from other sources. The codes used were as follows:

01 No longer Exists/No Information Available
02 Sold to Foreigners
03 Transferred to a New Port
04 Registered de novo
05 Condemned/Condemned as Unseaworthy
06 Condemned and Broken up
07 Condemned and Sold
08 Condemned, Repaired and Sold
09 Wrecked
10 Burnt/Destroyed by Fire/Blown-Up
11 Abandoned at Sea
12 Lost at Sea
13 Broken Up
14 Wrecked and Sold
15 Stranded
16 Dismantled and Sold as a Hulk
17 Collided at Sea and Sunk
18 Blown Out to Sea/Cast Away
19 Foundered at Sea
20 Lost at Sea and Restored to Registry at a New Port
21 Lost at Sea and Re-Registered
22 Missing/Not Heard of Again/Disappeared
23 Wrecked and Restored to Registry
24 Sunk
25 Lost per Annual List
26 Omitted per Annual List
27 Supposed to Have Been Lost/Lost Many Years Ago
28 Condemned and Transferred
29 Seized/Captured
30 Worn Out
31 Sold to the King.

Most of these codes are self-explanatory, but a few require some
elucidation. Code '01' indicates that there is absolutely no information on
the reason for registry closure. Codes '25' and '26' mean much the same
thing.

Nicholas Boucaut is the next 6 entrys - all different ships

Than (different first names) Bouchard and Bouchat followed by all kinds of
variations of which most are Nova scotia residence

In addition to the above there is all kinds of other info such as partners ,
crew, ect. If I were you I would buy the cd but it is VERY difficult to work
with.

Allen Temple Beagan
48 Artisan Way.
Sandwich, MA USA 02644
"Genealogy Notes" http://members.tripod.com/~Al_Beagan/start.htm
Researching; Beagan, Trainor, Power in PEI
Beagan, Rowsell, Knight, Vincent, Temple, Brace and Chancey in NFLD
Beagan, Trainor in Cavan and Monaghan, Ireland
Chevalier, Knight and Temple in Jersey Isle
Knight, Chevalier, Brace, Chancey and Temple in Suffolk, Devon and Dorset,
England