CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2001-04 > 0987869976

Subject: Re: JOHN P. PODESTER
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:19:36 EDT

Greetings everyone. Once again I am begging SKS to peruse the Jersey Seaman
Records and Vital Records for any available data on an elusive ancestor. You
are such a marvelous and talented group of researchers that I am sure
something can be found concerning our JOHN PEARLY PODESTER.
John Pearly P. was b. 1884 @ St. Helier - son of John Baptiste Podester
and Sarah Munro of Paspebiac, Gaspe. He appears with his father on the 1891
census of St Helier. I have his birth record, but no other vital statistics.
Did he marry in Jersey Is.? Have children ? Died & buried where ? Since -if
still living- he would now be 117 years old ! - he must be in a death record
somewhere ! If not of natural causes in Jersey, then lost at sea ?
John Pearly Podester had gone to sea by his 18th birthday (1902) and was
still living in 1910. (Per other documents.) There must be other records of
his service at sea ?
Is he mentioned in any Wreck Records ?

The PODESTER surname was frequently adulterated to the French spelling of
POINGDESTRE, so all variations of the surname need to be explored. (Podester
is an Italian surname - John Pearly Podester's grandfather, Jacob, emigrated
to Jersey from Italy, and married Elizabeth de STE CROIX.) The census
records lists the PODESTER surname as: POSTER, PODESTRE, POINGDESTRE

What happened to all these seamen of sailing vessels when ships converted
to steam power ? Did the vast majority just find work on the steamers ?

ANY help in finding even meager entries in the Jersey Records is very
gratefully recieved !!! Vallena Munro

This thread: