CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2003-01 > 1044080301

From: "Robyn McKinney" <>
Subject: [CI] Bugbear Virus
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:18:21 +1000

Hello Listers,

I, too, received an email from this list containing the Bugbear virus,
however it appears that the name of the sender could very well be created by
the virus.

<The worm can pick up old e-mail messages from an infected system and send
them to random e-mail addresses. In addition, the worm gathers e-mail
addresses from the infected computer's hard drive and uses them to forge the
sender (the "From:" line) of the e-mail. So, the recipients of email with
Bugbear-infected attachments seem to get it from someone who was not the
actual sender (and is not the real Bugbear victim).>

This taken from the following link about the virus. Please investigate
further if you suspect you may be infected .... and please DON'T click on
any attachments !!!

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/bugbear/

Luckily I didn't open the message so was not infected.
A tip is to turn off the feature in your mail software where it
automatically opens the first unread message. This makes it a manual
process to open each message, but it could also save a lot of heartache.

Thanks
Robyn
Brisbane, Australia

CAMPBELL, HOGGAN, KELLY, LITTLE (Scotland)
EADE, FOREMAN, SAUNDERS, SCAMMELL (England)
SEBIRE, TABEL, TORODE, TOUZEAU (Channel Islands)
CHESNUTT, McKINNEY (Pennsylvania, USA)
EADE, WARE (Australia)

This thread: