CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2005-10 > 1129591346

From: "Glen Bodie" <>
Subject: [Cross-posted] ANTLE Surname and variations
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:22:26 -0400

Hello - I have cross-posted this query to the lists for Devon, Dorset,
Hants, Sussex, Kent and the Channel Islands. At one point or another I
have been told that my family comes from each of these places. I have
done cursory checks through all of your mailing list archives and
surname index pages without much luck. Maybe a reader of the list knows
something to help me.

My family is from Newfoundland, Canada. We have always spelled the name
as ANTLE so far as I know, but I have seen other spelling in related
family lines that include: ANTIL and ANTEL. There are another dozen odd
spellings possible - see my ANTLE website listed below.

I can follow my family back to John ANTLE, born about 1800, probably in
Brigus, Newfoundland. He had sons named William James, John Isaac and
Stephen. I believe I have a connection, not yet firmly proven, to the
ANTLE family in that same location dating back to William ANTLE, born
1710 in Brigus. The males in that line were named William, John, Thomas,
Abraham. Most of these names appeared generation after generation.

Making the jump back across the water to England is always hard. Given
the punishing life in Newfoundland, the propensity for wooden churches
that burned down easily, the distance from the discipline of the central
churches, the conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants, and
the fact that the law did not permit people to live in Newfoundland
year-round for many years ..... records are hard to come by.

Hopefully you have an ancestor in one of these counties named ANTLE (or
something like that) and you lost track of him when he joined the
fishery and sailed for Newfoundland. I am looking forward to hearing
from you.
Regards - Glen C. Bodie
Personal contacts-------------------------------
Web <http://bodie.ca/>; http://bodie.ca
Home <mailto:> mailto:
My Tree
<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gcbodie/MyTree/bodie_antle.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gcbodie/MyTree/bodie_antle.htm
Snail Mail: 76 Strathcona Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4J 1G8
Web <http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~antlenf/default.htm>;
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~antlenf/default.htm
Mail <mailto:> mailto:
Query