CHANNEL-ISLANDS-L Archives

Archiver > CHANNEL-ISLANDS > 2006-02 > 1139516788

From: "James Brannan" <>
Subject: Ernest Edward John Renouf
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 21:26:28 +0100

Some time ago there were messages about 2 brothers of my great grandfather
who were born in Jersey but ended up in Cardiff and one was (Ernest) Edward
John Renouf. He married Margaret Sophia Howell in 1899 in Glasgow, but it
turns out that she was from Cardiff and I've finally found her on the 1901
census: Margaret Renouf, age 20, with daughter Mary E.A. Renouf, age 1. And
Margaret is given as a widow. She remarried in early 1903 (to a Mellon or a
Browne).

Another child of theirs died aged 1 month and was buried shortly before the
census:
Registers of Cardiff St.Mary’s, Bute Street, Cardiff (1843-1925):
Ernest Arthur RENOUF the son of Edward John RENOUF and Margaret [Maggie]
Sophia
was bapt. 22 Feb. 1901 [and was buried 16 March 1901 aged 1 month] the
father was a Labourer, of 53 Christina Street [Cardiff Docks] also
a sibling, Mary Elizabeth 10 Nov. 1899. Father was a Mariner.

I would really like to know what happened to (Ernest) Edward John Renouf as
I can't find his death in 1900/01. Perhaps he went back to sea?
And I also wonder what happened to the daughter Mary E.A. Renouf. Any
information would be welcome.

James

This thread: